Oppossum - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
little ol me !
Snapper

Default Oppossum

So, my wife is doing weight watchers...you know calculating the points for a particular food, then limiting the number of points you eat in a day in order to lose weight.

Now being from the "north", and me being from "here-abouts", she asks me if people eat Opossum. I told her, no not really, maybe some of them Cajun folks, they'll eat just about anything

Anyhow, in her weight watchers book, it says.....

wait for it....

"Opossum, 1 oz cooked = 1 point"

Really ? Opossum is 1 point ? who knew...and more importantly, which one of you redneck SOB's is eating 0possum ? There's gotta be enough of you out there that Weight Watchers calculated the points for them critters !!
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Oppossum

go on over to Wausau to the Possum Festival and you can try some. Try the ice cream to. But as a kid I never questioned how they milked one.

BTW.. over here, not only is the "O" silent, its missing as well.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Sailfish

Fried possum, grilled possum, possum casserole, possum pancakes, possum and grits, possum helper, possum stew, possum stir fry............
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Grand Slam

I dated a Cajun Girl once. He father went trapping in the swamps for 5 weeks a year on his vacation.

You should have tasted what she could do with a possum, muskrat, or nutra. Shoulda married that girl, she sure knew how to take care of a man.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Sailfish

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

be still, my beating stomach! LOL
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Grouper

Like many, I grew up under the tutelage of a Dad who lived by the motto "if you kill it, you are going to eat it". When I was around 8 - 10 years old out squirrel hunting I killed a possum. Mom boiled it to tenderize and fried it like squirrel. From what I can remember it didn't taste much different than squirrel or rabbit.The thing I most remember is that my dog at the time who would eat ANYTHING, including a dead, rotten skunk:sick that he had killed and I buried to keep him away from it for obvious reasons, would NOT touch the possum left-overs. Ever since seeing that I have never since considered eating possum ever again.
afishanado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Sailfish

Who the hell can get by on 1 ounce of meat? I say serve me 8 points worth of possum if that's what you're serving. No wonder people lose weight on weight watchers- they only get an ounce of meat! Funny thread y'all...
Garmin 540S GPS/Bottom Machine
Sound by Clarion and Bazooka
Coastal Night Lights Transom LED's
Minn Kota Riptide Co-Pilot/Auto Pilot GPS Enabled Remote Control Trolling Motor
mdrobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
little ol me !
Snapper

Quote:
mdrobe2 (1/7/2010)Who the hell can get by on 1 ounce of meat? I say serve me 8 points worth of possum if that's what you're serving. No wonder people lose weight on weight watchers- they only get an ounce of meat! Funny thread y'all...
I don't know all the ends and outs of weight watchers, but you get a range of points based on your weight. say 200 pounds is your current weight, you get to eat 20 points a day....you want to eat a 20 oz "possumhouse" steak, medium rare, then you have had all your points for that day. There are also alot of foods that don't have any points such as vegetables ( most of em' at any rate )
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Snapper

I was told by an old timer in south Florida that they are great, but you have to live trap them and feed them kellogs corn flakes for two weeks before you eat them, just never had the desire to try it.
Biller48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Sailfish

Location: Ozark, Missouri - 6 miles from Bass Pro Shops' world headquarters; and the entire gulf coast area.

Quote:
mdrobe2 (1/7/2010)Who the hell can get by on 1 ounce of meat? I say serve me 8 points worth of possum if that's what you're serving. No wonder people lose weight on weight watchers- they only get an ounce of meat! Funny thread y'all...
I guarantee you, that if you eat 1 oz. of it, especially after having cleaned and cooked it, you will lose weight. I will never forget the Possum, (never used the "O") that my brother-in-law brought home. I had to clean it, and he put it in a roasting pan with some sweet potatoes for a couple of hours. One of the most stinking things I can ever remember; and NO, I did not eat any of it.:sick

We also lived by the "if you kill it, you eat it rule". Brother and I hunted possums and coons for several years during our teens, must have treed hundreds...never killed a single one. And not because we were such benevoent nature lovers,we just didn't want to have to eat them.
fishn4real is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in