New Truck - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 PM  
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Default New Truck

So, I'm getting ready to order a new Extended Cab Silverado. LT, towing package, locking differential plus...

Wondering if there's any options you cannot live without? Mirrors, storage, radio, bucket seats?

Basically stuff you WISH you had without going overboard with "King Ranch" packages (maybe a Ford option?), etc.

Anything you got on your truck that you NEVER use. (back up camera, upgraded cd player, etc)

It'll be my everyday transportation plus towing a 21' flats boat on trips to Central Florida and LA.

Jim
jim t is offline   Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 PM  
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

These are a few things I wouldnt do without:
Power everything
Tow Mode
5.3ltr not the 4.8ltr engine, nice to have the extra power with towing a boat
CD Player
Remote Locks
Back up camera is nice but I can live without.
Splittine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM  
Sailfish

i'd get the 6.2L.. I think even the 5.3 is under powered (and dont dare get the 4.8), esp when towing. It has to downshift pretty hard the way its geared for a good accel. MPG difference is negligible. SO DEF get the big boy gas burner. You'll be glad you did. that and make sure they dont try to slip those cheap ass tires on it. I see that all the time, even seen nice rim upgrades with crap rubber.
?MEGA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 PM  
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittine View Post
These are a few things I wouldnt do without:
Power everything
Tow Mode
5.3ltr not the 4.8ltr engine, nice to have the extra power with towing a boat
CD Player
Remote Locks
Back up camera is nice but I can live without.
+1 I've got all of that with the exception of the backup camera on my '04. The tow mode is great. One thing I would add is bucket seats with the full center console, but that is more of a personal preference.
GENTLE WOLF is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 PM  
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

A couple questions...

Can you see the hitch with the backup camera?

What is "crap rubber" or better asked, what tire should I get?

Jim
jim t is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM  
Sailfish

Default can`t live with out

4 wheel drive!
CHUMM BUCKET is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 PM  
Sailfish

a good all terrain should suit you fine. bfg/bridgestone. just make sure it doesnt have firestone destinations or something like that. utility or touring tires i think they call them i call them crap
?MEGA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 PM  
Grand Slam

4wd is great if you might need it...and someday you just might, but in my experience it really cuts the gas mileage and it is waaaaay more expensive to fix stuff like brakes, etc.
jspooney is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 PM  
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

4x4, tow package, back up camera, back up camera, and a back up camera. I just got a 2010 sierra 4x4 crew with sle trim and black leather. Im loving it. It has a 3.08 rear end which I was worried about for towing but it will snatch my 18ft trailer with the jd 3032 w/loader, disk, and bush hog around like its nothing. If I had to choose I probably would havr gotten the 3.43. The 3.73 and 4.11 options are just to torquey to me...at least for me at 33. 10yrs ago Id been boiling the tires up and red light to red lighten it....ok 5 years ago...ok if i had id be doing it.... I dont tow often enough to sacrifice the mpgs though. The 3.08 does great and gets great mileage. A couple months ago I filled up (to1 click) in Milton and drove to Mobile shopping with the fam. Got back and the dummy meter read 22avg mpg. I refilled (to 1 click) just to check it and 21.7mpg. For a full size crew with wife, 2 kids, and my fat butt at 70-75mph on i-10 I was really impressed. For everyday mix it stays on 17-18 according to the meter. My dad has the same truck with a 3.43 and he is in the 15avg mpg range. Thats the 5.3 on both. I know a guy with a denalli and 6.2. He has the 3.43 rear end and he avgs 13mpgs.

To the necessities.
4x4-i had a 2wd...ill never own another. Only takes getting stuck once to figure that one out.
Tow pkg- why get a truck if you arent going to tow something
Back up cam-had it on my last truck and miss it. Yes you can see the tung and ball. Its right on the rear view mirror too. My boat and small trailer arent that big a deal but my big trailer is a pain since you cant just pick it up and move it. Ive contemplated going and getting it installed but its a $350 option so...... not sure its worth that but if it was already on it ...definite go.
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 PM  
Blue Marlin

I've got a crew cab with the 4.8, not all too bad.. But if your going to be pulling something long distance's then I would get the 5.7 or the 6.0 The front bucket seats with the center console that can flip up is NICE...Also teh general tires that come with the truck suck, they will only last about 30K miles... After those I've been running pep-boy Alterrains and nice.. I'm on my 2nd set only cause I got a razor blade in my tire.. Truck has 99K miles on it.
wld1985 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in