Need Smoker Help Advice ?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Need Smoker Help Advice ??

I am currently in the design phase of building a custon smoker similar to the design of a small backwoods smoker...Basically a well insulated 3 ft by 4 foot box with either an internal firepit or external firebox(any thoughts on external or internal are more then welcome). Im going to have heat baffles, so there hopefully wont be hot spots but my question is what gauge metal should I be using and how do I insulate it so this baby can cook low and slow for LONG extended cooks???.. I dont wont it to0 heavy because I want it to be easy for 2 people to transport to our competitions.I would like it at 130 -140pds or less.Im on a BBQ team and we are doing our 1st FBA professional bbq competition in July in Live Oak and I am not transporting my BGE that far.. .Thanks !!!
halo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Sailfish

I would make it with 2 fire boxes,internal and external.Is money an issue? I ask this because for longevity I would use stainless steel sheet metal,12-10ga.As for insulation I would use double walls with duroc in between.And one more tip,cook some stuff(cheap hamburger) a few times before you go to the cook off.I build smokers and grills on the side,these aren't guess's.Good luck!

One more thing a well insulated cooker won't be light...use solid wheel barrow wheels.

An external fire box will cook slower than the internal one,but when your running out of time its nice to be able to turn up the heat so to speak with the internal box.

And think over kill on breathing adjustment,you cant have to much adjustabilty.

Last edited by drifterfisher; 06-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifterfisher View Post
I would make it with 2 fire boxes,internal and external.Is money an issue? I ask this because for longevity I would use stainless steel sheet metal,12-10ga.As for insulation I would use double walls with duroc in between.And one more tip,cook some stuff(cheap hamburger) a few times before you go to the cook off.I build smokers and grills on the side,these aren't guess's.Good luck!

One more thing a well insulated cooker won't be light...use solid wheel barrow wheels.

An external fire box will cook slower than the internal one,but when your running out of time its nice to be able to turn up the heat so to speak with the internal box.

And think over kill on breathing adjustment,you cant have to much adjustabilty.
Thanks for the info..Im wanting to keep it under 800.00..over that and the big green egg or my new 1911 will have will have to be sold.. I can even go smaller if need be.... I'm cooking either 4 butts or 6 racks of spareribs so I dont need a larger one( I would like a slightly bigger one though) also I have a digi-q to help with airflow..How much do you think it would weigh and cost aprox ?? And will this thing have any resale value when I get ready to build a bigger one ?
halo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Sailfish

Weight would be 250-300#'s for a 3'x3'x4' insulated.Non-insulated would be about half that.You have an egg? not much of a pitguy eh? Those things work great for lets say un professional grillers. When you have a custom smoker you can blow the doors off an egg.Nuff ribbin.
If your only cooking 4 butts OR 6 racks,you could get by with a 2x2x3,but it would be tight.And an external FB is a must when you get that small.
There is a small market for resale,it has to be in excellent condition though,and you have to wait for the right buyer.I build one or two a year.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in