Need info on gun laws - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Need info on gun laws

Grandson just got pulled over on I-10 by the state(he's 21) speeding. He told the Trooper about a 9mm in ahide hole under the console when they ask to search the truck. Trooper told him he needed a carry permit to have the gun in the truck,took the ammo hollow points said they were cop killer and that each one was a felony [bought at mikes]. I don't think the trooper is right or have they changed the law.
sureline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Grouper

790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE. Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful
and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for selfdefense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed
in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful selfdefense as provided in s. 776.012.

790.001 Definitions. As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Was it in a case in the console?
FLWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

He is wrong on the ammo! To hide the gun like he did he would need the CCW permit. Was the gun in a case or holster? Was he driving a Chevy?
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
Snapper

was in snapped case ,yes he drives a chevy
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Snapper

found the ammo box the shells was black talons
Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie

I remember black talons... havent seen those in years.
Coated in teflon if i recall correctly supposedly to defeat BPV's
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
Snapper

no they are not teflon just made to really tear up soft flesh, they look like teflon but are not . hell i gave them to him and told him to carry the gun to Tallhahasse with him. I always carry mine when i'm on the road at night .with pensacola and all the murders in the last few weeks i might start to put it in the truck to go to wally world.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
Snapper

There's no telling how old the ammo is ,i don't recall when i got it, hell then again i got a pair of ho chi mien flops that i found looking for the ammo box that are 41 yrs old.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie

I stand corrected

The ammunition was targeted by those opposed to civilian ownership of handguns[6][7] and eventually the Talons became known by the moniker "cop-killer" bullets.[8] The identifying characteristic of the Black Talon ammunition was the black coating on the bullets themselves, which some mistakenly identified as a Teflon-coating. There were false rumors that the bullets were armor piercing and could penetrate body armor, including that worn by law enforcement officers.[9][10] A likely source of this misconception is the film Ronin, wherein the character Sam deduces that the bullet which penetrated his ballistic armor had been coated with Teflon for that specific purpose. The claims are quite contradictory as defensive bullets which expand have notoriously decreased penetration by their nature, whereas more mundane practice rounds penetrate further but have decreased stopping power. Penetration and expansion are opposites and bullet designers must trade one for the other.
To further the controversy, some medical personnel claimed that the sharp barb like tips could potentially cause tears in the surgical gloves and hands of the medical workers, exposing them to greater risk of infection,[2] however there are no documented reports of this actually happening.[11] In fact most jacketed bullet designs that do or can expand have the potential to expose sharp edges or corners and this was never complained about by any medical group previously.
The ammunition was used by the gunman of the 1993 Long Island Railroad mass murder. In 1996 a lawsuit was subsequently filed by one of the victim's family members (McCarthy v. Sturm, Ruger and Co., Inc., 916 F.Supp. 366 (S.D.N.Y., 1996)) claiming that Olin Corp. should be liable for the shooting spree based on the design, manufacture, marketing, and sale of Black Talon ammunition. The claims against Olin were dismissed because it was held that the bullets were not defectively designed.[12]
Winchester bowed to pressure and in 1993 removed the ammunition from public sale for a time,[13] and eventually law enforcement also bowed to the pressure, but at no time was it, nor is it presently, illegal to possess the Black Talon ammunition.
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

Cops are like Judges , they get away with being activist and changing the laws or stepping on Laws as they see fit.
I do not see where any Law was broken and It was wrong for the cop to " steal " your ammo. - at that point he took away his right to self defence and left him defenceless in a world where thugs travel in packs
hollow points do not defeat vest as well as ball , the cop was wrong. I would be tempted to lodge a written complaint over unauthorized seizure of private property , or you may just let it ride since he didn't steal your gun.
It is my understanding that if two steps are required to access your gun then no License is required. / two step rule

in holster and in glove compartment or hide hole should be good enough.
JMHO

BTW My CZ52 with ball ammo is more of a threat

HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in