Need help with picking new phone??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Need help with picking new phone???

I'm moving up to the 21st century and buying a smartphone. These are the important features that I want on the phone. Great video and camera and must be able to use it as a modem for my computer. (Not wifi but plug it in to the computer and use the phone as my modem.)

I don't talk much on the phone and the cheap $30 phones have always been good enough. Now though working off shore I was going to get the package to use on the computer but instead of paying $69 a month thought I would just get a phone with a camera, dvd recorder and modem all built into one.

Been looking at the droid X today on the internet. For you that use these what do you recomend??

If I have left out any important facts let me know. I don't know what the pixels are but I want something with the Iphone quality on the pix and videos.

Iphone3 or 4 is not out of the question but as I understand it, it is not a modem. you have to tether it and the plans are $69 for that. I had a guy at work who had a blackberry and it was $25 a month for unlimted or 5G internet use.

I mainly will be using the internet to keep up with the PFF and paying bills. I will not be downloading stuff to the computer, watching movies and such.

Oh yea, I would like the camcorder to record sound also.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

IPhone or droid for sure...

You can only tether with a 3G or Edge (think 2G signal) so if you cannot make a call you cannot tether. There are ways to use tethering at no cost if you "jailbreak" your iPhone but you still need a 3G or Edge signal (edge sucks for internet).

I like my iPhone but I wouldn't ignore the droid for sure.

Jim

PS... AT&T's exclusive contract with IPhone expires in July I think which means you should be able to use it on other networks, though I think it's a 2 year contract up front with AT&T.
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

I just got the Samsung Fascinate a couple weeks ago and love it. Easy to use and love the swype option for emails and texts. Internet is great with it and it uses the Android system. Also takes great pictures and video.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

i was just looking a few weeks ago at upgrading or switching from my iphone 3gs i looked at mnny diffrent phones including the new droid i did alot of comparision on the phones on the internet and i bought the new [email protected] samsung captavate with the new droid operating system damn it is like night and day from the iphone web sites load faster guicker surfing the internet and had all the capabilities as the droid but alot cheaper got it at walmart for 149.99 with upgrade
floater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
White Marlin

I switched from the iphone a few months ago to the Droid X...haven't looked back since! Coming straight from a standard cell phone to the Android world will be a little bit of a learning curve for you, but it's only b/c now you have lots of options to do more things with it.

I might not start with the Droid X. It's a pretty expensive introduction to smart phones especially if you don't like it. There's many other more entry level Android phones that will do everything you want just fine. If you go the legit route to have your phone act as a thether for wireless hotspot(ie, your 3g network becomes a wireless router for up to 5 devices) then plan on $60 a month(30 for data plan and 30 for the hotspot) before you even throw voice on there.

Or, you can do the "root" thing(equivalent of jailbreak on iphone) and run the hotspot for free and save $30. I think the cheapest you can get away with on an android or iphone smart phone is probably $70-80 bucks. I think I pay around $120 for unlimited everything.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

Ive got a moto droid with verizon. I like it a lot. I wish I had the droid X. Didnt have it when I got mine. I use mine as a modem through the PDA net app. Works great. As long as you got a 3g signal you got close to dsl speed. I went ahead and bought the full pda net app so i can access my bank accounts. The free version wont let you. Just make sure you got a firewall set up.
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
White Marlin

I have the Iphone 4 and if I did not need it for work I would switch to the driod tomorrow. My buddy bought one 2 days ago and has been fishing with me since and I have got to play with the driod. It's the best thing I have ever seen. Voice text, voice web search (with curse words!) and it has a feature that could come in handy for me it converts english voice text into any other language and visa versa. I can speek it hand it to a latin and they can read what I said in spanish and respond and I can read it in english. It has a bigger screan and does not hang up if you touch the phone to your face while talking. It is SO much better!!!!!
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Grand Slam

start by choosing a carrier, then look at a phone. You need to know which carrier is best for where you are working. Verizon is CDMA and everything else is SIMS. The phones are not interchangeable.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #9
TeaBilly National
Trigger

I have an HTC Droid Incredible with Verizon, I upgraded from a Palm Pre Plus, which I had to have replaced twice. The Incredible lives up to it's name, easy to navigate, internet, email, text, tons of apps and widgets. I use it in place of my dead laptop. Battery life is also decent, but regardless of which phone you choose an extra battery is a bonus.
floridafisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassflatsfisher View Post
Ive got a moto droid with verizon. I like it a lot. I wish I had the droid X. Didnt have it when I got mine. I use mine as a modem through the PDA net app. Works great. As long as you got a 3g signal you got close to dsl speed. I went ahead and bought the full pda net app so i can access my bank accounts. The free version wont let you. Just make sure you got a firewall set up.
Droid X for sure. I too have the original droid and wish there was a way I could get the X. Great phone. PDA net works great for the internet free of charge no tether. You can use the free version for non secure websites and evidently the paid version lets you access secure websites.
Trophy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in