Need a Dodge Diesel mechanic for input. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man
Default Need a Dodge Diesel mechanic for input.

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel (47,000 miles). This weekend Iexperienced problems with both the brakes and power steering. Upon my diagnosis I've come to the conclusion that the power pump (used for both brakes and steering) must of went/going bad.

When I press on the brakes, and get close to bottoming out I feel what seems like a vibration in the pedal (moving or standing still--not warped rotors). When I turn the steering wheel, it feels like what you would experience in a regular power searing set-up when a pump goes bad or low on fluid. Along with that when I turn the wheel it wants to turn at a rate that is excessive, much like fluid is stronger on one side of the rack and pinion tube, then the other.

Being a diesel the power brakes don't work on vacume. Any input would be appreciated.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via ICQ to bamasam Send a message via AIM to bamasam Send a message via Yahoo to bamasam
Default RE: Need a Dodge Diesel mechanic for input.

Ron it sounds like the power steering pump may be trying to go out. I will ask Wendell tonight.
bamasam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

for the brakes it is called hydro boost it powers the brakes & power sterring.is there fluid in the resevior if so does is smell burnt.if fluid is burnt you most likely need a new pump.:banghead
BOLTACTION is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

actually the power brakes on most (i think all),,,dodge diesels do work on vacuum,,, I think there for a while they experminted with hydro, ran off the powersteering pump fluid....there is a vacuum pump mounted on the back of the power steering pump,,, usually when there is a problem with this system it can be traced back to the brake power booster.... when they start to leak, the vacuum pump cannot keep up.... which in turn makes the pedal very hard to push.. almost like there is no power at all.... I was a dodge diesel tech since 1989, if you call me I can most likely talk you through the problem...:usaflag

Ms Penny Outdoors Team

Yamaha Master Tech
Mercury Certified Tech

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
BOLTACTION (10/15/2007)for the brakes it is called hydro boost it powers the brakes & power sterring.is there fluid in the resevior if so does is smell burnt.if fluid is burnt you most likely need a new pump.:banghead
Yes it is a Hydro-boost...plenty of fluid, not burnt...but after talking to Kenny:banghead:banghead...I went out and pulled on the belt and could pull slack out. So first things first...Install a new belt, and check as to why I could pull slack, with just two fingers.

Thanks Kenny.........:clap

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Trigger

Have you ever had the balljoints checked? these trucks have weak balljoints. will cause the symptons you describe. the vacum pumps seldom go bad with that few of miles.I have a 2000 2500 ctd and a 2006 2500 ctd .I've the balljoints on both.Wait till you get the speed wobbles at 50 mph, will make you pucker up pretty good

chris
bamafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Quote:
bamafan (10/15/2007)Have you ever had the balljoints checked? these trucks have weak balljoints. will cause the symptons you describe. the vacum pumps seldom go bad with that few of miles.I have a 2000 2500 ctd and a 2006 2500 ctd .I've the balljoints on both.Wait till you get the speed wobbles at 50 mph, will make you pucker up pretty good

chris

Thanks for the ball joint information. My truck has the hydro boost system NOTa vacume pump. The brake symptom I described happens both moveing and sitting still. Naturally the steering symptom happens when the truck is at slow speed and is not noticed at road or highway speeds.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Hey Ron,, did the belt do it....:usaflag

Ms Penny Outdoors Team

Yamaha Master Tech
Mercury Certified Tech

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]
Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
Sequoiha (10/17/2007)Hey Ron,, did the belt do it....:usaflag
Picked up a belt yesterday morning, the truck is sitting in the driveway. I got something under one of my contacts (must of scratched the eyeball) and my eye is red and light sensetive (this isn't the first time) so I'll put it on in a day or two. Was out there this morning ....it's a no go today.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Johnny dug deep to find this one... appears to be spam..

Ms Penny Outdoors Team

Yamaha Master Tech
Mercury Certified Tech

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in