Need advice about the Panhandle - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Need advice about the Panhandle

Hello Folks,

This is chuck7 ...I plan to relocate up in the panhandle in 2 more summers..I'm just doing some pre season scouting {-:

I have a few questions if you folks don't mind answering ..I would really appreciate it.

I'd like to move with in 45 minutes of Blackwater WMA . I'm looking to buy a nice home on about 1 acre and as close to Alabama or maybe even in Alabama I'm thinking around Laurel Hills orjust into Alabama.. I'm a teacher and will be relocating.

Questions.

1.Where would I find some nice homes in that area with decent neighbors? {-:

2. For you who run your central AC alot..about how much is the electric bill.? Mine in Lakeland is almost 400.00

I will be driving up Nov. 2nd and 3rdto bow hunt on some private property in Okaloosa County.

I appreciate it..This forum has been as real blessing to me and I appreciate you guys.

Chuck7
chuckseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: Need advice about the Panhandle

Chuck as far as the bill goes: I have gas water heater and furnace, run the A/C from 3pm until 8am at around 75 or so (it's turned up to 80 while we're not home) in a 1700 SqFt house and keep two ceiling fans going pretty much all the time, we operate 3 computers and a TV or stereo while we're here, and my kids can't tell the difference between the lights on and off. My bill reaches a peak of $160.00-$170.00 in August
captjoshrozier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Laurel Hill is a nice little town as is Paxton. As far as living in Alabama just know that there is a state income tax also. What are your plans as far as work, or retirement so on and so forth.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Sailfish

I am in Navarre with 1400 sq ft total electric house. Summer electric runs around $180. That's with a programable thermostat and 78degrees when home. Winter is usually under $100. If you are looking to teach up here, Santa Rosa County has one of the best school systems in the state and is always looking for teachers. Might be because of lower pay I'm not sure.
sosmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Mingo

I really appreciate the replies ..My wife and I are both certified teachers . I need to put in 10 more years beforeI can retire. Hey , those electric bills are great.

I'm certified in Elementary K - 6 or Special Education K-12.

I specialize in tough kids.{-: and slow learners.I'm not too worried about the lower pay. I've been poor before.LOL

Thanks again,

C7
Old 10-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Mingo

I just compared Santa Rosa with our Polk County. I would be getting a 2000 dollar raise in Santa Rosa..
Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Sailfish

There are several new subdivisions going in up in Milton. That's North Santa Rosa county and close to the Alabama line. Only about 30 min. to Pensacola or Navarre and about and hour to Destin.
sosmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Mingo

Thanks for the heads up.

C7
Old 10-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Sailfish

Don't forget Walton County!!!! Probably get hired in a heart beat over here.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Mingo

I appreciate the feedback. I believe the entire state of Florida is going through magor changes in the teaching profession. We are observed daily and you better be teaching according to the county curriculum maps when the big boys come into your room.{-: Our school did very well last year so we are all getting a bonus 1000 dollar check for Christmas. We get a lot of Hispanics who do not speak any English. That is a challenge. We also have a lot of students whose parents are in jail becasue of Crank...That is also a challenge. Discipline can be tough and teachers at my school must handle discipline themselves..That can be tough as well. The kids seem to get worse every year.

I am calling in sick Nov. 2nd to bow hunt in Okaloosa County.{-:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in