Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree11Likes
  • 9 Post By devinsdad
  • 1 Post By sunsetter
  • 1 Post By nathar

Old 01-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Luke McCoy Passed Away....

Some may remember Luke and I had the pleasure of working with him for many years. I have worked in radio for the last 26 years and worked with Luke for many of those.

We both joined the High Cotton Dove Club and hunted dove and ducks together every weekend for several years. Spending all that time driving to the fields in my truck and shooting birds together allowed me to get to know the man behind the mic.

Luther Eason was someone very few people knew and I feel blessed to have gotten know that person, not just Luke McCoy.

His radio show, Pensacola Speaks on WCOA was nothing short of controversial and some loved him and some hated him. But Luke was honest, a good Christion. Purple Heart reciprient and a good husband to his wife. He was also my best friend, father-figure after my dad passed and one of the best friends I ever had.

May God bless you Luther....
Attached Images

devinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Trigger

I am sure he would feel honored by your words. Cherish the memories and recognize the blessings he afforded you by his guidance! Great post!
Snagged Line likes this.
sunsetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Grand Slam

I loved to listen to Luke and I also agreed with him about 85% heck maybe even 90% of the time on what he said. I always wished I could have met him. You must the be guy he talked about going fishing with sometimes on the show.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

I loved him on WCOA and am old enough to remember him spinning 45's on WBSR in the 70's. We lost a good local voice when he retired. Rest in peace good friend that I never got the chance to meet.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Sailfish

Deeplines & FirstCast: Thank you for the kind words. This is a very painful time but the memories I will cherish forever. I could write a book on the funny things that happened with us fishing and hunting.

One time Bobby Kay with the High Cotton Dove Club had taken us on a private duck hunt early one very cold January morning. He had positioned Luke and I about 6 feet apart and we were shooting 3.5" heavy duck loads. This one wood duck came flying in right at us and so quickly neither of us bothered to call the shot.
We both raised and shot at the same time at a distance of less that 30 yards. That poor duck dropped right at our feet and was nothing but a scattered mess of blood and feathers.
We just looked at each other and laughed our asses off.
devinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #6
Grand Slam

I talked to Luke on the phone once. It was 1976 and I was a 7th grader, It was cold as butt and rumor in my hood was that school (Wedgewood Middle) was closed because of a chance of snow - I called in to my favorite morning show WBSR and got my radio hero - Luke McCoy, he told me to turn down my radio and hang on, he actually was putting me on the air. He returned - I asked again and then he politely told me and everyone listening that school had not been cancelled, that school did not get cancelled for a few little Florida snow flurries and that all the kids listening needed to go to school and quit calling the radio station...... I did......and about 30 minutes after I got to school - it started snowing and didnt let up till after lunch. I called back that afternoon to give him an earful but he was gone home.... but my "new" favorite radio hero "Dangerous" Dan Ingram assured me that everyone at the station had give it to him about it real good, he told me to listen the next morning - I did and he apologized - especially to the "young man" he put on the air. Made me feel pretty good that a big shot like that could man up. I actually called & talked to him a little later about a school report and he really helped me out going way past what I expected - Stand up guy, sorry to hear of his passing and my condolences to you on losing your friend
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
White Marlin

I listened to him daily, called in every once in awhile, and even got thrown off the air by him one time for my description of the Bahraini toilets we had to use during Desert Storm:

You basically had to squat over a 4" diameter hole in the ground. If your aim was accurate, you got a pleasing, echoing ploop sound. If you missed, you made an awful mess.... ***CLICK***

I was all butt-hurt. I'm like hey, I'm an advertiser! How dare he cut me off!

The afternoon drive wasn't the same after he retired.

Godspeed, Luke McCoy, and Semper Fi!
devinsdad likes this.
nathar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in