LED vrs LCD worth it? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Snapper

Default LED vrs LCD worth it?

Thinking about upgrading my primary TV. Noticed the LED/LCD TVs are running about 30% more expensive. Are they worth it? Does any brand perform better than the others?
birdsnest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Trigger

I have 60" LCD Sony that I have owned for the last 4 years and I can tell you that the picture quality on a High Def signal is truly outstanding. I am some what of a technofile and can tell you that I have been eyeing the new LED TV's and I can tell you that there is a definite difference in the picture quality. The blacks are true black and the pictures are just deeper and more rich in contrast. I love my sony but there are some other good names out there as well like Toshiba and Samsung. My suggestion would be to go to your fav electronics store and look at all the TVs and pick out the one that you think has the best picture quality. Also I would do a little research on a model once you choose one to see what others have experienced with it. If my my current set went out and I had the money I would definitely go with either another Sony or a Samsung. Something to think about when you are choosing your new set would be the hrz refresh rate. The best sets will have the new 240hz design. This will give you the best picture quality and seamless transitions in the scenes. Then there is the idea of a 3d set but I really dont think it is practical to have to wear glasses every time you want to unwind and relax. I think that the new 3d is more of a fad that will pass ... Now if they could come out with a set that did not require glasses ... and they are working on that now... then that would be a good way to go... Just my 2c... been in the electronics biz for a few years now...
local_hooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Sailfish

worth it
?MEGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Trigger

We went from a HD rear projection to the samsung 55" 3D/LED and love it. Well worth the investment. Picture is great and it is only about 1" thick.
Powerstroke 7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Sailfish

Spend the extra you won't regret it.
Flatspro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Trigger

Default lcd

I have 55" Lcd Sony. Its about 1 1/2" thick. Love it. I am going to get an LED after the prices go down, as did the LCD. Just for anyones info. that has the older Sony projection LCD TV's. If you are experiancing a "blue " bleed in the picture, dont go out and buy a new TV untill you contact the Sony corperation. It is a design fault in the picture "engine" that cost $2,000.00 to replace, they will offer you a brand new LCD TV at a GREAT price, less than half the retail with free shipping.
Dragnfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Sailfish

I have the Samsung 40" LED, Well worth it. If you are coming from a traditional tube tv. The LED will take some getting used to being that it looks fake because its so clear
doradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

I bought the Vizio 55'' LED last month and the picture is wonderful. It's alot brighter than my other LCD.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Seems like I read somewhere that the LED tv will pay back the price difference over its life span due to lower power usage than an LCD.
sloticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Snapper

Thanks for all of the input! I've got a rear projection 44" LG LCD that is fading. I didn't really notice it until I bought a cheap 33" Vizio 720p LCD and saw how much brighter the picture looked. I hate spending a lot of extra money for the latest and greatest when it will be standard stuff in 6 or so months. Walmart has a 46" 1080p LCD Samsung for $790 and a 46" LED Samsung for $1380. These were both on-line. If I saw both TVs live side by side would my socks be knocked off?
birdsnest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in