Lcd or plasma - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Lcd or plasma

i currently have a 46 lcd hd in the living room. i am going to buy a new 50 inch this weekend for the War Damn Eagle room and i saw some crazy prices on plasma hd's lately. whats the difference? and why would buy a plasma or not buy a plasma ?

thanks.
spear em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
White Marlin

LCD, or better yet LED. plasma prices have gone way down and for good reason. they get too hot, use way more power, the screen has less life (measured in hours) because the pixels burn out. aside from all that the picture and resolution is noticeably better with an LCD. all that said, if someone gave one to me, i'd use it. but if i was buying, i'd pay the difference for the LCD every time.
K-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Sailfish

buy the samsung LED 240hz. 1.5" thick, doesnt get hot, uses much less power and great picture. I have one and i love it
?MEGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Trigger

I prefer plasma myself. The 50" Panasonic G20 is a great HD TV and is much cheaper than any of the led in that size tv.

Reason I like Plasma. Better definition in dark scenes (black levels) and no clouding or flash-lighting in the corners. Picture looks more natural, no fake processing necessary to claim 120hz or 240hz refresh rates. In led, this is done through a processor that inserts additional (fake) frames and makes movies look fake and unnatural. No motion blur or pixelation during fast scenes like a led or lcd.

Yes plasma weighs more (my 50" is about 50 lbs) and consumes more electricity ($1 to $3 per month). Panasonic is rating their sets at 100,000 hours, about 27 years at 10 hrs/day to half brightness

I tried a couple of led tvs this year (samsung, sony) and they had major design issues and IMO did not warrant the premium cost. It seems almost like your paying to be a beta tester.

Last edited by DVR6; 09-01-2010 at 03:41 PM.
DVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

The Plasma ones are Really bad about reflecting background light during dark scenes in a movie. If there is a light on anywhere in your house it will be like watching a mirror where you can see what is going on in the kitchen behind you in great detail, but you can not see anything during dark scenes in a movie.........................If you want a great example, go to the electronics section in a store that still displays plasmas and look into the screen as if it was a mirror and try to find detail in the reflection of the store's overhead lights behind you.Then do the same to the LCD and the LED....................Get the LCD or the LED and let the plasmas die off and go away without getting involved................good luck
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Trigger

We bought a 720p Samsung plasma from Sears last month. If you want to watch sports without motion blur and pixelation...get the plasma. Football looks MUCH better with the plasma than with an LCD. Picture quality blows away 1080i and 1080p LCD's. Our plasma does reflect light so we just mounted it on the wall with a tilt stand and now no reflection whatsoever.
Again, football, (and any fast-motion sports), looks much better with a plasma.
BTW, Panasonic has a class action lawsuit filed by consumers due to the picture quality noticeably deteriorating after just a few months. The new 2010 Samsung models have no such issues. Read the reviews for the Samsung 720p plasmas - the best picture quality for your money!
SeaBit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Sailfish

samsung LCD 240's are awesome! my next expense..

Accutech Carpet And Tile Cleaning

850-529-1335
kelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
RMS
Grouper

Three years ago we researched and analyzed everything out there and paid a premium for a Pioneer Plasma, it had the best picture by considerable margin over anything else available at the time. We paid dearly for it, but it was one of the best decisions we have ever made. I still am amazed at the quality of the picture.

A key element to picture quality is how black a screen displays the color black. Most televisions display a color that is not quite black, as in a really dark grey. The blacker the black, the more crisp and vivid the picture will be, and the more true the other colors will be. At the time, the LCDs could not produce the quality of black that most plasmas could. Another plasma plus was that the picture quality did not degrade when viewed from an angle, which may or may not be a factor based on each individual room layout.
Again this was three years ago. I have no idea how they compare today.

Regardless, when comparing screens, paying attention to the "blackness" can provide a tangible way to compare picture quality, rather than relying soley on random subjective comparison.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by RMS; 09-01-2010 at 10:02 PM.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #9
Trigger

Default tv's

I was in Sears & Best Buy over the weekend,the LED's looked alot better than the plasma's[I have a 1 yr old Samsung plasma] & did not seem to give off as much heat.Like Omega said the Samsung 240 hz,led has an awesome picture.
CH-47 DR. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #10
Grouper

I was faced with this decision a few months ago. I ended up buying the insignia plasma and I have not been disappointed at all.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in