Irrigation well question. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree15Likes

Old 06-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Irrigation well question.

For an irrigation well, how far below the water table do you need to go?

Also, if you're in close proximity to saltwater, will groundwater be salty? If so, how much deeper do you need to go to get to water that would be usable for irrigation?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Grand Slam

it all depends on where the band of larger white grains of sand are. from my experience, no real way of saying, until you start to find the sweet spot... when I dug mine (by hand) i knew when to stop.... the well sucked the water from the hoses... boom. go another 3-4 feet for your screen and stop...
SHatten and BlaineAtk like this.

Last edited by Realtor; 06-15-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Grand Slam

My well guy told me ya gotta get down to “good water”. Unless your digging it yourself I’d let your well guy decide. I’ve had 3. First was 110’ second was 235 The one I have now is 160. I don’t think saltwater is an issue if you get into “good water”
MULLET HUNTER and BlaineAtk like this.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
it all depends on where the band of larger white grains of sand are. from my experience, no real way of saying, until you start to find the sweet spot... when I dug mine (by hand) i knew when to stop.... the well sucked the water from the hoses... boom. go another 3-4 feet for your screen and stop...
This is what I'm wanting to do, dig my own.

How deep did you go and what method did you use? From the sound of it, sounds like you jetted it?

Old 06-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
Grand Slam

I was on the west side of Pensacola, years ago... I put 2 well points down, one went 25 Ft. the other 22 Ft 10 Ft away from the other (I got tired on the second) 2 water hoses taped together, screwed the 2 inch pipe into the ground (I cut some teeth into the digging end of the 2 inch pipe), only hit 2 roots BTW. once the large white grains of sand started to appear, I went another couple 3 feet and the water was not coming back out of the 2 inch pipe any more. the sand (water vein) was sicking it in.... quickly put together 20 Ft of 1 1/2 inch pipe with 5 Ft screen at the tip. down inside the 2 inch, hammered it down another foot or 2. wrestled the 2 inch back up out of the hole, the sides collapsed on the 1 1/2 pipe (you have to be quick, before the ground grabs the outer casing (pipe))and wham there, you have a well point. I was getting good clean no odor and no stain water. ran that well for days on end for 16 years, no issues, never went dry and never stained anything.... good stuff.... I remember the total cost was something like 211 bucks for the pump, breaker, wire and pipe, 3 hose bibs (until I put the sprinkler system in.... whole job. ALOT of this depends on where you are located......

suggest you wait until fall after the cooler temps arrive to do this.... its hard hot work.... I did mine in July.... stupid move.... 2 cents...
SHatten, Kamac and BlaineAtk like this.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Not to scale, and you may be required to get a permit these days.... (hint)

the swamp shit layer is where you get the stain and stink..... you have to get past all that crap.... try and not pass through all the white sand, it may be deep, ro only a few feet where you drill.... this fine art work will give you an idea.... (forgot to draw the check valve at or just below ground level....)
Attached Thumbnails
Irrigation well question.-0615191551a-jpg  
Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

https://www.drillyourownwell.com/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BlaineAtk likes this.
Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Grand Slam

I sunk my own in 1998. It was behind outcast bait and tackle. I hit water at 16 feet. I went 10 more feet. Are used two 5 foot screens The method I used was auger and bailer. I rented the equipment from Warrington hardware. It was a long hard task, I would not do it again. My well today at my house behind Pete Moore Chevrolet is 75 feet deep.

Last edited by BananaTom; 06-16-2019 at 10:00 AM.
BananaTom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy's Law View Post
https://www.drillyourownwell.com/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
i remember this site.... things on the internet never go away... the thing circled is a piece of trash, I think its still laying around here somewhere. You can have it if i can find it... the pressure in the pipe kept popping it off. can't glue it on, because you don't know here you'll (how deep) be stopping. Needing to add more pipe to go deeper... I simply taped 2 hoses together and stuck them down the top of the pipe and went at it. the water coming out of the top kept me cool too... Good Times...
Attached Thumbnails
Irrigation well question.-ready-start-low-res_li-jpg  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Sailfish

Thanks for all the info.

I was thinking about doing this:

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in