If you are or planning to selling scrap metal, read this.... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default If you are or planning to selling scrap metal, read this....

Hello. Was talking to a friend last night that had a trailer load of clean scrap aluminum (he owns a biz that accumulates this over time). He loaded a flat bed with close to 3,000 pounds of it, called around, got the best deal per pound, and from experience has wised up a bit. He took his load to a weigh station and got a print out of the total weight, then had one of his workers drive the load over to scrap it out. When the worker returned with the check and the weigh ticket (as he claims ), the loaded weight at the scrap facility (I do not know which one it was) and the check was short almost 500 pounds. He questionedhis employee, got his story, then went over to the scrap place, and kind of made a seen, but ended up walking out with a check for the difference.

The ONLY reason that I'm telling this story is to let anybody unloading scrap know, (if they don't do it already) is to get your loads preweighed before taking them to the facility. He claims that this had happened to him twice before but he couldn't prove it. Now he is going to weigh everything before the haul......FYI,,,,,, Tight lines all, T
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: If you are or planning to selling scrap metal, read this....

You would also have to get an independent empty weight to confirm weights.

The scrapyard can weigh you light going in and weigh you heavy going out.

Get legal or get out.

Heavily fine or put in jail the ones hiring illegals.
Soon there would be way less illegals.

How do you know when Trump is doing something right????

When the D.C. status quo elite stuck in the mud out-of-touch pansies are crying foul at everything Trump is doing.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Sailfish

I'm sure scales have changed a little over the years since I worked at a race track, but it depends on where you sit on the scales. Make sure you are in the same position loaded and empty. You can bet the operater knows the tricks in his benefit.
sosmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

I had no idea there could be so many variations.... I did mention to Bill that he outweighed his employee by about 35 pounds..... From the look on his face, I could tell it probably wasn't a very good time for me to bring that point up. oke
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Snapper

are you sure his employee didnt take 500 pounds of scrap times are tight and people will do crazy stuff. just another spin on it. if it was me i would have taken it myself 3000 pounds of scrap aluminum your talking about alot of jack.
shanester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
Grouper

yea you have to watch yourself at the yards, i have only taken metals in once and that was to the ghetto yard off of hwy 29 near the interstate and i felt raped afterwards when i got home and looked over my papers... dirty prices for clean meatls ect. and then called and got a extra nip in the ass when they also said they take a certian % for their profits ect... like so much per pound they take and dont pay for.... so ive been stock pileing my metal and wont do anything with it untill i take another trip to daytona with my van then ill haul it with me and get treated rite instead of robed like they do up here treating everyone like a bum or metal theif who doesnt care about a few pounds here or there
mrwigglezdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

They tried to screw by brother that way to. They said he only had 900 lbs. of metal but he knew he had more. He took it to another yard and it turned out to be 1900 lbs. They were really trying to stick it to him.:hoppingmad
seapro86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I took some copper to a scrap yard off Navy blvd one time an I stepped on to the scale it said i weighed 203lbs I told the guy I have not weighed that in ten years. He got on it an said that is what he weighs. It is a rip off they take advantage of the poor.
a/c guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in