Hilarious! Growing up without a cell phone - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Hilarious! Growing up without a cell phone

If this has been posted b-4, my apologies....
If you are 36, or older, you might think this is hilarious! If you are younger than 36, this could be eye-opening!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning....
Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay
a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!
Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOSH !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!

See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 40 Crowd

Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Mingo

I like that now with that said im only 25 grew up with all the electronics and tvs and game stations . I got my first cell phone around 16 so parents could keep track of me and call for me to pick this and that up from the store on the way home . Since reading this post i got to thinking how true it is even at my age I see kids that are 8 -9 yrs old with cell phones lap tops ipods big screen tvs in there rooms and god knows what else they have . What ever happen to sneaking out with your grandpa's boat and staying on the pond or river all day fishing ? I had electronics growing up but all they did was collect dust and got me in trouble for not keeping my room spotless . I guess what im saying is kids today get every thing handed to them and there parents are not teaching them good work ethic . I mean heck i remember from a early age having chores and when i got a litttle bigger more chores then it was going to work down the road at family friends farm doing hay . Parents got me a cell phone but i had to pay for most of the bill for something i really did not want . its crazy i wonder what my kids will say when there 40 and they start looking back ?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

I remember the first camcorder. The battery pack weighed a ton and it was strapped to your waist. My dad gave my mom a microwave for christmas (a year or so after they came out). It was on a roll around stand. In the wrapping paper, all you could see was the wheels. I thought it was a stand up arcade game lol. When she unwrapped it, we all got wide eyed "WoooooW!" We had never seen one before.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Grouper

when we were on the water we actually had to know cloud formation as to not get our asses caught in a real bad storm...well we knew the cloud formation and we always had to catch that last damn speck! we got wet!
captwesrozier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Trigger

back in my day all I got was a rock and a string and if I was bad they took the string away!!!
TraderDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Sailfish

I grew up in a small town in northern CA, less thean 100 people and one payphone. If someone wanted to talk to you they called from the payphone and hung up after one ring. Every kid and parents knewthe "code" so the caller wouldn't have to loose a dime to call. We also had "party lines" too

Last edited by dockmaster; 01-24-2011 at 06:16 PM.
dockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

My grandmother was on a party line and I remember there was much drama in the little Alabama town. Everyone knew everyone's business. Learning electronics has been a steep curve for some of us over 40. Capt. Wes I still look at the skyline. I don't totally trust electronics when it is my life or comfort. Glad that common sense and some knowledge base is still here.
SHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Sailfish

Yep, I remember cars without air bags, no shoulder belts, no cruise control, no GPS systems, no air conditioning, no power locks - windows - mirrors, no FM radio (I did get a "converter" for my first car) and the rear window defrost was dad passing his handkerchief to one of the kids in the back seat! The original post mentioned no remotes for the TV... that was a job for the youngest kid too -- channel changer and volume controller. When the signal was not quite right (we had no cable for years) -- someone had to go outside and turn the antenna pole on the side of the house until the reception improved!
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Trigger

I remember the day of no remote for the TV,,, I would be in my room,,, which shared a wall with the livingroom,,,, my Dad would be on the couch that was against that wall,,, he would bang on the wall,,, I would come as that was my call,,, to only go switch the channels for him, then he would tell me while I was up, to go get him a beer. Now I am a Mom of 4 and when I ask them to clean up the kitchen or do any chores,,, I get the response, we are not your maids. Trust me the kitchen is not a big mess,, only one or two pots or pans that are already soaking in soappy water because I clean up as I cook,,, like I was taught. I had chores everyday when I was young. Get home from school clean up any breakfest dishes that were left, staighten house up, so it is clean when Mom got home from work, after Mom made dinner, clean kitchen, which meant do dishes and put them away, clean all counters and stove, sweep floor, take out garbage,,, then go do your homework. On weekends clean,,, clean your room, then clean bathroom, dust living room, that meant everything, vaccume and move furniture. When you are done with that Mow the lawn and bag it all, trim around all tree's. I would always go a step farther and wash my Dad's Blazer to insure when I asked him that night if I could take the truck,,, he could not help but to say yes. Washed the boat several times too with no complaints, because I knew do the work get it done and you will be rewarded. If we got in trouble chores were hell, clean the fridge and defrost the freezer,,, cleaning the fridge meant taking everything out and wipping it down and taking the lid off and cleaning the lip and the top, organizing it, cleaning the outside too and if you did not pass inspection, there was always a even harder chore instore. Kids these days have no clue. I wish there was a camp you could send them to called "Back in the Day".
TrixiBme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Grouper

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!

That is funny !!!
About the most dumb thing is the 4 DVD players in the car !!!
Gee, we rolled the window down, talked, laughed, sang with the radio, looked at other cars, trees, sky, waved & made faces at people, spit at other cars,,,
pappastratos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in