HELP FROM ALL YOU MECHANICS OUT THERE - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Snapper

Default HELP FROM ALL YOU MECHANICS OUT THERE

I have a 99 Tahoe. Coming back from Alabama last night, the wife put the headlights on bright and they went out. Fortunately they still worked on high beam. I thought it strange that both sides would blow at once so I told her to turn the light switch so just the parking lights should be on to see if the daytime running lights (DRL)worked and they did.Using this method we were able to come on home without blindinganyone.As far as I know the DRL are the same as the low beams. Any sugestions as to what caused and how to fix this?
RUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: HELP FROM ALL YOU MECHANICS OUT THERE

I've got a mechanic friend on another Hunting forum.

I'll copy and paste your tour post over there.

Chuck7
chuckseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Maybe the bulbs blew??? I know on my 06 they are different bulbs then the headlights.. No the Highbeams are differnt lights but they have like a different fuse type deal...
wld1985 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Sailfish

I'll start by saying that I have no experience with your specific vehicle.

Ok, with that out of the way, I'm going to guess it's a relay for that circuit.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Mingo

OK Rusty...

Here's some comments from the noys at Hunting.net.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=left width=150 bgColor=#cc6601>Login </TH><TH align=left width="100%" bgColor=#cc6601 colSpan=0><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Message</TD><TD align=right>&lt;&lt; Older Topic Newer Topic &gt;&gt; </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367024></A> Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 6:22:36 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>Chuck7
Life Member

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=online>online </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1>This question is from a freind off of another forum. I know he would appreciate it if someone can help.
Thanks,
Chuck7

I'm stumped.

I have a 99 Tahoe. Coming back from Alabama last night, the wife put the headlights on bright and they went out. Fortunately they still worked on high beam. I thought it strange that both sides would blow at once so I told her to turn the light switch so just the parking lights should be on to see if the daytime running lights (DRL)worked and they did.Using this method we were able to come on home without blindinganyone.As far as I know the DRL are the same as the low beams. Any sugestions as to what caused and how to fix this?

RUSTY
ROLL TIDE
<SPAN class=info>

&lt; Message edited by Chuck7 -- 10/8/2007 6:41:17 PM &gt;

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand. PS.37.24 <DIV align=right></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD align=right>Post #: 1 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367470></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 8:38:42 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>bhensley
Shooter Buck

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1>Possibly some kind of electrical surge when they hit the switch to the high beams and blew those at the same time. Not sure just an idea. have them pull one or both bulbs and check them. You should be able to see if they blew or not. <SPAN class=info>

:::::::\__/)::::::::::
)))----(='.'=)-------&gt;
:::::::")_(")::::::::::

OOPS sorry there bunny!
Savage .270
Mossberg 88 Field
Bear Whitetail Legend
TruGlo sights, Drop away, Cobra Stabilizer <DIV align=right>
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to Chuck7) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 2 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367480></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 8:40:56 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>frontier gander
Life Member

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1>fuse? <SPAN class=info><DIV align=right>
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to bhensley) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 3 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367527></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 8:53:39 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>Fieldmouse
Life Member

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1>It's the switch itself. It happened to a friend of mine. When the lights are on the power runs through the high/low beam switch. When the daytime running lights are on the switch is by passed because you don't change from high to low.
<SPAN class=info><DIV align=right>
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to Chuck7) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 4 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367586></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 9:08:26 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>bhensley
Shooter Buck

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1><BLOCKQUOTE class=quote>quote:

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

It's the switch itself. It happened to a friend of mine. When the lights are on the power runs through the high/low beam switch. When the daytime running lights are on the switch is by passed because you don't change from high to low.

</BLOCKQUOTE>Yes but from what he explained he has high beam and running lights just no low beam. If it was in the switch they wouldn't have either high or low beam. <SPAN class=info>

OOPS sorry there bunny!
Savage .270
Mossberg 88 Field
Bear Whitetail Legend
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to Fieldmouse) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 5 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367651></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 9:24:08 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>Fieldmouse
Life Member

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1>No not at all. The switch has two positions. It's posible for the low beam position to fail and the high beam position to work which is what happen to my friend on his suburban.

A simple volt/ohm meter can prove this one out. <SPAN class=info>

&lt; Message edited by Fieldmouse -- 10/8/2007 9:25:50 PM &gt; <DIV align=right>
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to bhensley) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 6 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367676></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 9:31:26 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>bhensley
Shooter Buck

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1>Ok, I see where you are coming from now. <SPAN class=info>

OOPS sorry there bunny!
Savage .270
Mossberg 88 Field
Bear Whitetail Legend
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to Fieldmouse) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 7 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367755></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 10:07:32 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>Buckshot
Shooter Buck

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1>Alot of the newer vehicles have individual fuses for the lights, that would be the first thing Id check. <SPAN class=info><DIV align=right>
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to bhensley) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 8 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cat bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=*><A name=2367865></A> RE: Question for Scott or any other mechanics. - <SPAN class=ultrasmall>10/8/2007 11:04:37 PM </TD><TD noWrap align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=10 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ultrasmall vAlign=top noWrap width=150 bgColor=#f1f1f1>mcraddock
Fawn

<DIV align=center></DIV>
Status: <SPAN class=offline>offline </TD><TD class=msg vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#f1f1f1><BLOCKQUOTE class=quote>quote:

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

No not at all. The switch has two positions. It's posible for the low beam position to fail and the high beam position to work which is what happen to my friend on his suburban.

A simple volt/ohm meter can prove this one out.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

I second this. It is most likely the dimmer switch inside the steering column that has broken an armature or the contacts have severed. Sometimes it's fairly difficult to get to, usually requires pulling the steering wheel and all.This type is an integral unit with the turn signals, cruise selectors, and/or wiper controls. But if your lucky, it's on a linkage that runs to a seperate switch further down the column. You can get to those by simply splitting the lower half of the column cover off and look for the linkage movement when moving the dimmer stick. <SPAN class=info><DIV align=right>
<SPAN class=ultrasmall>(in reply to Fieldmouse) </DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e5e4e9 colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right>Report | Post #: 9 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#d0d0d0><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cc6601><TH align=middle>Page: [1] </TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
chuckseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Grouper

Probably a control device Switch, fuse or relay.

GONU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Sailfish

not a mechinic. But do claim to be an elec engineer who has very little experience with vechile wiring.

However, I would say two bulbs simply blowing at the same time due to old age or something is very low in likelyhood. I would also say that a surge occuring that would cause the blowing of the lights would be very low in likelyhood as well. Unless you saw an increase in light intensity prior to the blowing.

Typically, if two different things went out at once then you should look for a common between them. Such as a switch or fuse if they have different fuses for high and low.

The question is how can you test this out? if you can get to the switch you could buzz it out. But how the heck do you get to your headlight switch :scratch
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Sailfish

Actually, I'm very dissappointed with the forum on this thread. The first response should have been "check the low beam fluid" Followed by a couple of dumbar$e posts to that effect. Then a serious response should have been posted.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
Cuz
Trigger

Quote:
AUradar (10/9/2007)Actually, I'm very dissappointed with the forum on this thread. The first response should have been "check the low beam fluid" Followed by a couple of dumbar$e posts to that effect. Then a serious response should have been posted.
AGREE!!!! LMAO!!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
Sailfish

Believe it or not I actually had 2 bulbs blow at once. I thought for sure it would be something else but I went to an auto parts store and asked them what they thought and we swapped one headlight just to check and sure enough the new one worked. That being said I'm sure something caused them to blow but I never had another problem after that.
Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in