Gun Laws for the 18-20 year old in relation to Shoulder fire weapons - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
JHL
Ruby Red Lip

Default Gun Laws for the 18-20 year old in relation to Shoulder fire weapons

I just wanted to vent and get some opionions. Im a country boy from Pace and I love hunting and fishing. In case anyone was wondering if I was some "oddball."( even though being from pace may constitute beinga "oddball"). I just want honest opionions too, not really statictics or anything. I also plan on getting my CWP when I turn 21.

My 20th birthday is coming up, and a buddy and I shoot some old guns on his dads farm in Georgia when we go up there to do the occasional grunt work for his dad. Old 22 lever actions, shotguns for some clays, a old swiss military rifle (no idea the make, I think the caliber is the same as a Mossin) and my dads old sks. Just guns that are pretty cheap on ammo and its just good plinkering.
He turned 21 a few days ago and his dad got him a pistol to shoot and with my birthday only a few weeks away I was pondering the idea of getting a AR platform or a AK just to change up the pace since we are older now and like to target shoot and was looking to advance our skills to be better target/hunter shooters. I started caling some gun stores and pawn shops to get a idea on the running price of those diffrent models.
A couple of them stated to ask if I was 21 and I told them no, and they told me I could not buy these types of weapons because of the and I qoute "pistol grip, thumbhole grip, bayonet lug, high capacity magaizens/extended shell tubes options" and one individual said becuase of the "general military assult style weapons I had asked about purchasing were restricted for pesons aged 21 and older." To make it clear, I did not ask about drum style magazine configurations, tricked out rails for lights, bayonets, or to buy a actuall assult rifle.
I just wanted a gun (prefrablly a camo dipped Bushmaster in .223 for small game/deer hunting) or a ak in 7.62x39 (so I could buy those surplus russian rounds in bulk that come out to like 11c per round) that would be fun to target shoot and could work on being better at long range open sights. A skill I see handy and would make hunitng with a rifle a little more challenging.
My veiw is that these are just shoulder fire rifles. They look like military rifles, but really they are just varients. They would be cheap on ammo and they look really fun to shoot. I am a good gun owner by the way, my .270 and shotgun are always cleaned properly after use and locked up, both the case and the rifle bolt. I could see if I was from inner city Chicago or NY the problem with a person my age owning one of these, but out in the country where I have hunted my entire life?
I go to school at FSU, live off campus toward the Georgia line in a small neighborhood. I called a the duty officer at a local law enforcment agency and she chewed me out for thinking it was normal for a person under 21 to own such types of firearms.
Once agin I understand people under 21 not owning a pistol (partially), but these are just shoulder fire weaponsin my opionion, besides the fact that they have the above normal magizene capacity, I dont see the diffrence between any semi-automic shoulder fired rifle.

So what are your guys opionions on the subject, Is it inappropriate for the 18-20 year old citizen to own such types of weapons. Maybe I just put more faith than average in the 2nd ammendment, Or do I not understand the law completly? If you have any questions feel free to ask. I love hearing and respect the opionions of PFFers.
JHL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

You can join the military at 18 and have and shoot all the ar's you want, but if your not in the military you have to be 21.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
White Marlin

Default That Fair!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksnappercatcher View Post
You can join the military at 18 and have and shoot all the ar's you want, but if your not in the military you have to be 21.

Pinksnappercatcher has a point. You actually join at 17 and you can die for your country in a far away land(before being 20), but you still cann't drink beer in some states or buy certain weapons before being 21. Sounds foobar to me
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
DLo
White Marlin

I don't know the laws about how old you have to be to buy an ar or ak, I would find a reputable gun shop in your area and spend some time there talking to the guys there. That said I would look into the Rugar mini 14(.223) or the mini 30(7.62x39) these are good solid weapons that will do what any ar or ak can do and I don't fall into that "assault weapon" category. They will also shoot the cheaper imported ammo, with a good cleaning after shooting of course, and you can buy tons of accessories for them. Just be careful, if you add a pistol grip you change the type of weapon you have, but you'll be 21 in a year or so and then you can do whatever you want to it. Good luck.
DLo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
JHL
Ruby Red Lip

Yeah everyone makes good points and has offered great advice, I'm curently in the application process of OCS for the Marine Corp, so I wont be joining the military until I finish school. I guess I never categorized these types of weapons in another category. I was really just bothered by the unprofessionalism of the shops when they informed of the law and offered no explaination with any followup questions.
JHL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

NEVER buy from the dealer that told you that you had to be 21.

You only have to be 18 to buy a long gun, pistol grip or not as long as it has a shoulder stock. Youre good to buy any AK or AR you please, even SBRs. Im also fairly certain other NFA items such as suppressors and full autos are legal to own at the age of 18. I know for certain SBRs are as I had a friend in high school SBR his AR legally.

What you CANT buy is a stripped AR or AK lower as these are classified as "other" on the 4473 and you have to be 21 to buy.

I bought my first AK not even a week after I turned 18, a senior in high school. No one seemed to care. Ignorance like that pisses me off to no end. I would refuse to do business with that gun shop and I would write a letter to that officers superior explaining that her personal feelings/agenda shouldnt interfere with answering an honest question from a person of legal age to own the firearm.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
NEVER buy from the dealer that told you that you had to be 21.

You only have to be 18 to buy a long gun, pistol grip or not as long as it has a shoulder stock. Youre good to buy any AK or AR you please, even SBRs. Im also fairly certain other NFA items such as suppressors and full autos are legal to own at the age of 18. I know for certain SBRs are as I had a friend in high school SBR his AR legally.

What you CANT buy is a stripped AR or AK lower as these are classified as "other" on the 4473 and you have to be 21 to buy.

I bought my first AK not even a week after I turned 18, a senior in high school. No one seemed to care. Ignorance like that pisses me off to no end. I would refuse to do business with that gun shop and I would write a letter to that officers superior explaining that her personal feelings/agenda shouldnt interfere with answering an honest question from a person of legal age to own the firearm.
Well said....
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
CCC
Grand Slam

Man I am going to open a can of worms here. I am a HUGE supporter of the right to bear arms, I am also a gun owner and have many weapons. That being said with my temper I should not have had weapons untill well into my 30's !!!!!! I am sure that I am THE ONLY one that will belly up to the bar and confess that, and I am sure that NO OTHER PERSON was immature, had a temper, and did things off the cuff in their teens and early 20's. Bottom line is yes you can kill someone with a single shot .410, you can also kill them with a knife, but I am not a big supporter of younger people with pistols and or assault weapons.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

CCC, did you own a gun in your teens/20s?

If you made the mature choice to not own a gun because you thought you were too immature, way to go. People should make that decision on their own and not leave it up to the .gov.

Personally, I felt the opposite way. Once I started carrying a gun every day, my temper (not that I had a bad one) went out the door. No more flicking off the guy that cut me off on the high-way or anything like that. When I carry a gun I more purposely avoid ANY type of confrontation. I de-escalate and leave any hairy situation much faster now. Im only 25 now by the way.

Why? I am not sure really, other than I dont want to get into a situation where something simple could lead to something not so simple. For me, a gun is to protect me and my family from bodily harm or death. Its not to be used as a deterrent either. There will be no brandishing or yelling at some one to stop cause I have a gun. If I am in a situation where deadly force is needed, the gun comes out of the holster and lead will fly all in one motion. For me, a gun isnt a tool for a hero either. I am sorry but If Im at the mall and some one starts shooting at the other end and Im alone with no family or friends in danger, Im hauling ass out in the opposite direction! Id rather feel guilty that I didnt perhaps save some people and stop the shooter then be dead and not come home to my wife and daughter. Selfish I know but nothing comes before them.

Last edited by JD7.62; 03-25-2011 at 08:25 PM.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
CCC
Grand Slam

Yes I did own in my teens and 20's, and if you are mature enough to own any and all weapons at your age then I commend you, but I would bet you are the minority, therefore you get lumped in with the majority.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in