Good Stewardship Suggestions Needed. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Good Stewardship Suggestions Needed.

I recently was given the opportunity to put together a new exhibit/garden on sustainability and green innovations, for the 2012 Chicago Flower & Garden Show, March 10-18, called The Future...Is Now. This is the first endevour of its type at a world recognized public showcase. This year the exhibit/garden will have a 30' living fence, topped by LED lit outdoor stained glass panels. Bamboo fencing, varous roof top garden examples and engineering. Roof top shade devices, low weight pondless waterfalls and streams. Urban and Rural Biodiversity. Display areas for Indoor Farming, Hydroponics, Water Reclimation and Multi-use Roof Top Research. We will be also rolling out two new techniques I've pioneered, Native Infusion Landscaping and Negative Aesthetic Reduction. What I'm doing is asking everyone in my various networks to give me their ideas on what they might like to see covered or displayed at future shows?

Keep in mind that I have no place for Environmental Wacko ideas. We do everything with Good Stewardship in mind. Good science, good research, good ideas. Soon we will have 9 billion souls on this earth, time to start coming up with solution for the coming crush. Send me your ideas and suggestions. Either in this Off Topic section or by email: [email protected]

If you would like to contribute to this project please send $$$ (check or Money Order, in any amount) to Dguzan, PO Box 454, Spring Grove, IL 60081. If you include your name and location we will include same in our booklet which we will be distributing to the more than 50,000 atendees expected at next years show.

By the end of this week I will have a link on my website www.rootfeeders.com giving more show information, a jpeg of the formal floor plan of The Future...Is Now and info on how to help us bring this very cool project to fruitation.

Thanks, looking forward to your feedback or questions.

Don 'Dplantmann' Guzan
Creator/Designer/Coordinator of, The Future...Is Now.
Dplantmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Suggestions, ideas? Solve the problem of 9 billion mouths to feed?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

How about growing some easy to grow crops on the Winn Dixie roof like lettuce or cut flowers?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

No new ideas for me?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

A lot of folks are downsizing and might not have space anymore for a traditional garden. Maybe terraced type gardening that has various rows of plants that are pretty and eventually something edible. I have taken my planter across the front of my house planted and squash and cucumbers on one side and okra and tomatoes on the other. Below the planter I am putting pots of nasturium and other edible flowers. I can't say that I know what I'm doing but it has been a fun experiment. Good luck with your plan.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

SHunter, experimenting is the best teacher. Sounds like you have come up with a good idea.

One other thing I am going to do in my show design is create living oblisks of flowers, veggies or herbs. They will be easy to add drip irrigation to.

Hint: Use cedar when using drip irrigation. It stands up to moisture and is a natural repellent of insects.

Other ideas/
Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

yesterday I uploaded more information concerning the show, sponsors and collaborations on my website www.rootfeeders.com
Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

I'll try the cedar. I need to mulch around the veggies. Pulling weeds is getting old. I also have a bunch of stawberry pots that have produced some tasty berries this year. We had a drip hose at the other house. I haven't put one in here yet but good idea. Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at your website.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Most people I know who are trying gardening for the first time usually give it up because of weeds. The bare ground looks so nice when getting started. Next thing you know the weeds start growing. They spend hours pulling that first crop of weeds by hand, within about a week, new weeds cover the same area. At that time they decide that they'll try again next year.

When getting started in spring, put down a landscape fabric and cover with mulch, straw or a thin layer of cut grass (thin, so grass doesn't decompose) or lay down a layer of newspaper, cover with mulch. Their are other methods, but what you aiming to do is break the weed triangle. 1.Weed seed, 2.Sun, 3.Favorable Environment. You will always have weed seeds and a more or less favorable environment, so the logical thing to control is, the sun reaching the ground where the seeds are. Plus as an added bonus, the coverings keep down muddy areas in the garden. You might get an occassional weed taking hold, but a few are easy to control versus thousands.

Good luck with the cedar, cypress works in much the same way and is usually a little less expensive.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

What does everyone think about green roofs? Why would you want a green roof? Some of the earliest green roofs were covered by peat or turf. Could you imagine goats mowing your roof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in