Going Island Hopping - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Going Island Hopping

Help. 8-10 friends and myself are begining to plan a 7-10 day bareboat vacation to the islands. We are considering a 50-55 ft. catamaran, and will probably go mid September 2011. We have not yet decided where to go. It could be anywhere between Bahamas and Trinidad. Two of our group are experienced Captains one of which has been traveling the world by boat for a few years so navigation and port of call policies are in good hands. Does anyone have any experience with this type of sailing? Any suggestions as to where to go? Where not to go? Suggestions about what type of Cat or what charter company to use? Yes, before anyone mentions the height of hurricane season, we know but it's the best time for us and the rates are lower than wintertime. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Home & Business Security
and Surveillance Systems
Pensacola, FL
[email protected]
FLbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Trigger

Don't go nowhere near the bermuda triangle or you might be like those boats you see on history channel.

2100 sea chaser
smooth seas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Sailfish

Thanks for the advise. Any others?
Home & Business Security
and Surveillance Systems
Pensacola, FL
[email protected]
Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Grand Slam

My favorite laid back Island was Barbados. I've heard good things about Trinidad also. The B.V.I. was pretty cool also. I liked the Dutch side of St. Maarteen, didn't care for the French side as much. The airport on that Island is a MUST SEE if you are in that neck of the woods. Something you will NEVER forget.

Not for sure what you are looking to accomplish on the trip IE.. fishing, snorkling, diving, chasing women, partying, golfing........

St. Thomas has a nice golf course, expensive to play though but the memory of driving over the gulf is something I still remember. St. Maarteen has a couple also on the french side also.

Go to 2:50 in the video and that is St. Maarteen. Got to do the take-off thing also.

Last edited by Deeplines; 11-01-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Sailfish

i've also heard good thing's about Trinidad, Been to The Bahamas and montego bay Jamaica In fact that Video reminds me of flying into montego their airport is the same setup, If i go again i'm trying Trinidad Just my 2 c
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Trigger

BVI has calm deep water between islands and typically a stout breeze making it perfect for blow boaters. Plus there are a ton a places in St. Thomas where you can rent/charter a boat (sail or power).
My favorite for island hopping by boat is the Bahamas. Better fishing and less visited. IMO
redeyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Sailfish

Thanks for the replies. Just a lazy vacation. Fishing, skindiving and a whole lot of easy nothing. 8-10 people all mid 40's, nothing wild just new sights and a whole lotta water. Any other suggestions. Has anyone done a bareboat cat charter?
Home & Business Security
and Surveillance Systems
Pensacola, FL
[email protected]
Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Have you even considered JUST doing the island of Jamica? That by FAR has been my favorite port in the carribeaian(sp?). It would take 10 days to sail around it and hit all the good spots.

The local shops are great outside the tourist area if you have company to help you along. I was in the navy when I hit all these spots so I had a local woman guide. Not saying you have to partake in what I did but the money spent will be worth what you save in all the cost of buying stuff and spending on meals.

Saying the $10 each of you throw in to the guide, male or female, will take care of you and let you know if something is going down. Getting out into the culture I found was the best way to enjoy the port I was in. Heck, for $300 you probably could rent them for the week.

REDFISH - Yea, been to that one also, Montego Bay.. Nothing compared to St. Maarteen. That is actually scarey. When you see a big blue plane, THE KLM airlines, Watch out.

Last edited by Deeplines; 11-01-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Sailfish

I like the Jamaica Idea. Incredible airplane landing. WOW.
Home & Business Security
and Surveillance Systems
Pensacola, FL
[email protected]
Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Sailfish

David if you do Go for Jamaica, montego bay There are 3 things you got to Hit, Dunn River falls, Shell island, and Esp, The up the River Laua god I think that was the Best night we had They take you up river a Few Miles in the Long canoe's and when you Get there They have all kinds of Food, Drinks and Jamaican music you can Stand, Had A Blast , Drinking ,Dancing, eating ,,,, If I did go back It Would Be Montego bay,!!!! oh and if you want to snorkel It's awsome!!! Dwayne
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in