Going to Disney....Help! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

Default Going to Disney....Help!

Planning on taking the wife and kids to Disney in a few weeks or so. Haven't decided just when yet but we are looking. I'm scanning through all these packages to stay at one of the resorts vs just staying somewhere near one of the parks and buying tickets as we go. If I'm doing the math right I'm looking at $850+ for 3-4 days of tickets to the parks for everyone. If I stay at one of the Disney value resorts I'm looking at $1200-1350 for the 4 nights we would be there or $1700 for a moderate resort. That includes tickets/park hopper passes and hotel ammenities. That doesn't seem like a bad deal considering the ticket prices and the fact we would be on disney property...less riding around or driving from park to park.

So... Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest option but I don't want to go broke either. Any tips on how to get tickets cheaper...I know the whole FL resident deal? How about hotel options? Stay on Disney property or off...if off where is good?

Thanks for the help!
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Sailfish

i like staying at the contemporary resort. not as pricey as the floridian, and its easy to get to the parks from there. Polynesian is decent too. get the water parks option on your park hoppers (blizzard beach, typhoon lagoon) as its a good break up from the same ole at the theme parks. def research the speed pass system if kids plan on riding rides, other than a handicap pass its the only way to do it. best places to eat dinner are california grill on top of contemporary hotel (overlooks castle, has observation decks to have a adult drink when the 10 pm magic kingdom fireworks come on. very nice, very pricey. coral reef at epcot is great dinner place, all walls are large aquariums. also very nice, and pricey. at magic kingdom there is an italian restaurant emulating lady and the tramp. Think its called marios or antonios or something. its going to be your best bet for dinner time at magic kingdom. as far as budgeting goes, you are pretty much SOL on any substantial savings if this is a spur of the moment plan being only a few weeks out. If you want the mega deals with tickets and resort rooms, you have to really hit the net hard and watch for the packages. either that or have a friend or family member that can meet you at the gates and get you into the parks for free. other than that plan on dropping 3,000-5,000 for a weeks trip. Oh and I swear i think they quit selling beer at the magic kingdom, so take a flask. You'll need it!! Now-December is the best and only time to go. I go every year and it never gets old. I know yall will have a blast! good luck
?MEGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Trigger

Default disney

There are so many hotels and free shuttles close to disney, you can save a lot of money staying outside the resort area. Heck, for the price difference, you can drive your car and pay to park at the park and it would still come out cheaper. Guess it depends on what you want to spend.
strike two is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

In 2005 we stayed on site at the All Star Sports, in June of this year we stayed at the J.W. Marriot. They both had their pros and cons, on site was nice cause we did not get in our truck and have to drive any where but the beds sucked. Staying at the Marriot was funner than the parks to me and the hotel was by awsome but it sucked driving back and forth.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-grande-lakes/
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnwdad View Post
In 2005 we stayed on site at the All Star Sports, in June of this year we stayed at the J.W. Marriot. They both had their pros and cons, on site was nice cause we did not get in our truck and have to drive any where but the beds sucked. Staying at the Marriot was funner than the parks to me and the hotel was by awsome but it sucked driving back and forth.

Orlando Hotel: JW Marriott Orlando Luxury Hotel in Orlando, Florida
How far/long was your drive everyday on average? Did they have a shuttle?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Grouper

+1 on the Contemporary. It's nice if you have little ones to be able to take the tram back for a break, clothes, nap, etc. Any of the ones with tram access would be fine. I would go with the best deal.
finfever61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Rob, give me a call any time tomorrow on my cell and I'll give you some info..... I'm headed to VA in the morning so I'll be on the road fer about 12 hours!!!!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Default Disney

If you can book within 3 miles of the park, then commuting would be okay. Otherwise, you have to deal with the traffic and getting from A to B.

Right now there are some good Disney packages available, especially for 5-7 day stays.
Emerald Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
Grouper

I'd go with a Disney property. The customer service at anything owned by Disney is incredible. My neighbors mother had a stroke in the park and they were staying at a Disney resort. Disney provided childcare, payed for ambulance, sent flowers to hospital, went on and on. When my neighbors came back from hospital the kids were sleeping and had tons of Disney stuff. Then a few weeks after they got home they got 4 ticket vouchers for their next visit.
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jighead View Post
I'd go with a Disney property. The customer service at anything owned by Disney is incredible. My neighbors mother had a stroke in the park and they were staying at a Disney resort. Disney provided childcare, payed for ambulance, sent flowers to hospital, went on and on. When my neighbors came back from hospital the kids were sleeping and had tons of Disney stuff. Then a few weeks after they got home they got 4 ticket vouchers for their next visit.
Wow! That's world class service right there.

Finfever...that's a good point on being able to bring the kids back....might not be the kids that need the break though...might be mama and daddy!!!

Jason, I have a couple of meetings 1st thing this morn. I'll try to give you a ring around lunch. 12 hour drive...sounds like 2 five hour energy's and 2 cups of coffee to me!

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep 'em coming if you have any others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in