Send a message via Yahoo to konz
Default Gas Saving Myths

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...s-Saving-Myths
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man
Default RE: Gas Saving Myths

The one additive that I add to my gas (Chevron Delo fuel system cleaner for diesel)is Techron...the concentrate version, and NOT the diluted one. The reasons are as follows.

1) Tecron is added to Chevrons gas, Why? Must be good.

2) By using thisonce ayear (I use Christmas as a target date..easy to remember:doh) I feel that, that is the reason I have NEVER ever had a injector fail, or deposits on valves EVER. It keeps the injectors and valves(total combustion chamber) clean.

3) All other fuel/injector cleaners are diluted and I've found out so is the cheap version of Techron.

There are but about4 additives that I use depending on what is needed....

1) Techron, once a year

2) Rislone to free up a sticking ring/lifter, as needed

3) Trans X for Automatic Transmissions, as needed. My last resort before a R&R. I could tell you an unbelievable story using this product. Other brands might of worked but this was recommended to me years ago....about 25 years.

4) Lucas Power Steering Conditioner. Works great..NEVER use Lucas Oil Treatmentin the engine unless you have NO recourse.....Most of it WILL sitin the bottom of the oil pan. I know this for a fact. It would be a good product if it wasn't for this.

http://www.texaco.com/yourcar/techronadvantage.asp

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
White Marlin

I've been thinking of using that Trans X.....think I'll go ahead and do it. I just had my tranny fluid and filter changed and found out that it has been leaking for 3 months. I had to add a whole quart a week after the change (thought they just didn't) put enough in.....but after having to add 3 more quarts over the course of 3 months I took it back and they found a leaking gasket that was caused by them......anyway I don't know if it caused any damage but I figured it can't hurt to use an additive in the tranny now
Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Trigger

theangrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
konz (5/22/2008)I've been thinking of using that Trans X.....think I'll go ahead and do it. I just had my tranny fluid and filter changed and found out that it has been leaking for 3 months. I had to add a whole quart a week after the change (thought they just didn't) put enough in.....but after having to add 3 more quarts over the course of 3 months I took it back and they found a leaking gasket that was caused by them......anyway I don't know if it caused any damage but I figured it can't hurt to use an additive in the tranny now
Won't do anything for a gasket but will for clutches, seals and associated internal parts. Using it for a pan gasket leakis a waste of money and time. Change out the pan gasket and or the selector arm seal.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Quote:
theangrydolphin (5/22/2008)
http://www.thepriceoffuel.com/whataf...ricing/#supply

Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
White Marlin

no all gaskets have been replaced.....just looking for something to make it easier on my tranny

you know how noisy those dodge trannys are....lol
Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
Topwater Bluefish fan
Sailfish

would have to question #2 , and I recommend Lucas fuel treatment .

first I've heard of the Lucas oil treatment, would like to see a study on that .
Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
Baitcaster (5/22/2008)would have to question #2 , and I recommend Lucas fuel treatment .

first I've heard of the Lucas oil treatment, would like to see a study on that .
Lucas fuel treatment just might be as good or better, I don't know. All I can say is the facts as I have experienced myself. I don't have experience with the Lucas FT. When we find a product we like we have a tendency to recommend it.

I helped a friend remove a V-6 Ford motor to have it rebuilt. Damn that was the toughest motor to R&R I have ever done. Was in a F-150. After we installed it he put Lucas Oil treatment in it. The engine was at operating temp. This past Jan he had to go into the engine as something had failed. What he found was the Lucas gathered up in the bottom of his oil pan. Obviously it didn't mix with the oil he used. GTX is what he uses. That is all I can say about what happened. Nothing scientific, just personal observation.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin

i have to disagree with the one that says even if your says it requires premimum run regular because the computer will compensate for it. my wife drives a lincoln LS with a v8 and it requires 91+ fuel...we always run premimum in it. well wile i was home i took it in to get the AC fixed and they gave me a loner LS...well it was obvious that it had regular gas instead of premimum in it...ran like s&*#! definatly dont try to pull out in any kind of traffic in it! with the cruise control set at 55 it would knock and ping going up a small hill! i told my wife if premimum gets soo expensive that we cant afford it we would just have to sell the car! (which i would like to do anyways!)
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in