FSU Shooting... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default FSU Shooting...

I cant feel sorry for this kid, number one rule is treat every gun as if it were loaded.

A friend, who was arrested, was showing off a rifle when the two students were shot.
A Florida State University student was killed and another, from Tampa, wounded early this morning in an accidental shooting off campus.
Ashley Cowie, 20, of Orange Park, died from a rifle shot to the chest. The bullet passed through her and hit Keith Savino, 20, in the wrist, university spokeswoman Browning Brooks said in a news release.
FSU student Evan Wilhelm was in his apartment about 1:15 a.m., showing several other students a new flashlight he had put on his rifle earlier in the day. Wilhelm, who thought the rifle wasn't loaded, kept turning the flashlight on and off, until the rifle accidentally went off, said FSU police Lt. Jason Trumbower.
Cowie died there, while Savino was taken to a local hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening.
Wilhelm, 20, of Ponte Vedra Beach, was arrested on manslaughter charges and booked into the Leon County Jail.
"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy, and our hearts and prayers are with the students' families at this terrible time," said FSU Dean of Students Jeanine Ward-Roof.
Advertise | AdChoices
Advertise | AdChoices

Advertise | AdChoices

"We strive throughout the year to educate students on how to protect themselves and others, and we are heartsick when incidents such as this occur."
The shooting happened at 1944 Heritage Grove in Tallahassee, in a collection of properties where fraternity students live. Wilhelm is a member of Lambda Chi Alpha.
Police don't know if Wilhelm has a concealed weapons permit but said he admitted to drinking alcohol earlier in the day.
"We had a blood draw sample, and we're evaluating his intoxication through medical blood and we'll have those results here soon," Trumbower said at a news conference today.
The shots woke up Darren Desantis, an FSU student who lives at a neighboring fraternity house.
"Shots went off a little after one," Desantis said. "Woke me up. And that's when we went downstairs. Everyone was in the courtyard frantic and didn't know what to do."
"Sirens all night until about six in the morning," Desantis said. "It was bad."
Ashley Cowie was the 2008 homecoming queen at her high school, St. John's Country Day School. She was majoring in interior design.
Savino is one of Wilhelm's fraternity brothers. He went to Jesuit High School in Tampa and is majoring in risk management and insurance at FSU.
A resume he posted online says that he's treasurer of the FSU Insurance Society and worked last year at Tampa's DEX Imaging, installing software, troubleshooting problems and helping customers via remote web access.
Reached by phone this morning, Savino said he didn't want to talk about the shooting.
Firearms are prohibited on public university campuses in Florida. The fraternity buildings at Heritage Grove are private properties, but the FSU police has a contract to serve the area.
"We're consulting with the State Attorney's Office to see if other charges may (be warranted) for the gun charges," Trumbower said.
The university plans to provide victim advocates for the friends and families of the students involved in the shooting and counseling for any student who requests it.
Huntinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Grand Slam

The girl who was shot was there with her twin sister. They were members of Chi Omega sorority which was my daughter's sorority.
A friend of hers was present when it went down.
Dang, I wish kids would pay more attention and be safe.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

He is out on bond?
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

My daughter lived in Heritage Grove for a while and the frat boys constantly harassed her. One night a kid who she wouldn't pay attention knocked out her window. The police came and I was up at 3 am.

I do feel sorry for the familyof the girl. That would be a horrendous call for any parent.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Anybody want to guess if alcohol was involved at 1:15 in the morning?

Trajedy in any case.

Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

When I was going to school at Auburn there was a guy in my apartment complex who had gone shooting with some of his buddies and girlfriends. They got back and were goofing around and he grabbed his pistol, which he thought was unloaded, and put it up to his temple and pulled the trigger jokingly...well there was no joke when it discharged and killed him with his friends and gf standing there watching. Kind of surreal seeing the coroners van backed up to the apt 3 doors down. As was said before always treat a gun as if it was loaded....

Prayers for the families involved.
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

Sad story , but teaching Gun safety was once common before it became politically incorrect
I wonder how many of these young people could have benefited from it?
Easy to buy a gun , and almost anyone can. knowledge and safety is optional

I taught my children about unloaded guns with a gallon milk jug full of water I pre positioned behind our home
then we all went out to talk gun safety
I showed them the 45 ACP handgun and a clip of ammo.
I placed the clip in the gun and asked if it was loaded? they all said Yes.
I took the clip out and asked if it was unloaded? they all said yes.
I pulled the trigger and blew the milk jug apart scattering cold water all over everyone.
then I asked if the gun was unloaded? their eyes where huge and the power of example will forever be in their minds.

even people who don't like guns will someday have their children around them and there is no avoiding that .
If the parent doesn't do their job teaching them , they may get shot by a gun everyone thinks is unloaded.

Just passing on a little advice and technique that can save lives , but is seldom taught and many pay the price.

R.I.P.

HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

When I visited Heritage Grove the kids were on the porch drinking constantly. Since it is private housing they evidently are allowed guns. If caught on campus, they would be kicked out.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in