framing question, will this work??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default framing question, will this work???

looking at building a tree house. The floor will be 10'x10' decked with 2x6s (got some old boards from a ripped up deck)

will this design work? Basically, it will be 4x4 posts on a 8'x8' square with 2x10's going across them. A 2x6 floor joist will then be laid on top with 2' centers.

AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: framing question, will this work???

The only suggestion I would make would be to use something bigger than a 4x4 for legs if possible, I have a tendency to over build where I can though. Make sure you cross brace whatever you use for legs to minimize any twisting.
Joe Fink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Hey AU, looks like a good solid design, including what Joe said to use larger than 4x4 post, especially if it is going to be a ways up off the ground, the tensile strength of a 4x4 to keep the structure from swaying wont be enough. If you can find some discarde pilings that would be your best foundation, and free, and cross brace like Joe said between the post.

One other thing, the 2' cantileavered overhangs....I personally wouldn't just toenail them, I would go to lowes and get Simpson Strong Tie joist hangers to attach them to the main stringerrs running across.

Question, is this for the kids...or your own dog house for when the lil lady throws you out!!!:letsparty
Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Sailfish

thanks, i'll check out the 6x6's. Usually on small projects like this the upgrade isn't that much of a budget killer.

This is for hte kids, but hey, got to make it big for "just in case". What I can't decide now is whether to basically make the hole thing a "house" with huge windows or have a 5x10 house with 5x10 porch. The house/porch would be neater, but with three kids, they would be all over each other. A single house with huge windows, 8' long, would still give you openness but allow for a unostructed floor so the kids won't be all over each other.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Sailfish

any ideas on a zip line. I got the general method of building one, but what about the end of it? How do I stop the movement?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to N-Reel-Trouble

I know where you can get old telephone poles for free if you'd like. PM me if interested and I will get you the number.

As far as the zip line, I've seen them terminating into the ground, into another tree and into a large pole. I'd say the best is ending into a branch, or something like a upside down L so if they don't let go, they don't run into anything but the ground, and not dead into a pole..;-)
N-Reel-Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Trigger

AUradar are you gonna get a building permit? oke
ratzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

recheck our figurein cause 4x4's on 8' square plus 2' overhang all around equals 12' square platform.

And where does the tree go?

Get legal or get out.

Heavily fine or put in jail the ones hiring illegals.
Soon there would be way less illegals.

How do you know when Trump is doing something right????

When the D.C. status quo elite stuck in the mud out-of-touch pansies are crying foul at everything Trump is doing.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Sailfish

okay, didn't start this weekend, wife made me start painting instead.

However, I've decided to change the tree house plans a bit. I'm going to move the posts to the corners and have them go straight up so they can be used as corners for the rails as well. This deck won't have a roof, just side rails of some sort.

I've been told I could use 2x6's spanning 10' for the joists. Anchor them to 2x8's. Will this work? Are 2x6's strong enough over 10'? Remember, there's no real load other than kids and 2x6 decking.

Also, Johnson you're right, I misspoke. The orignal idea would have had the posts on a 6' square, not 8'
Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to David Ridenour Send a message via Yahoo to David Ridenour

I made a zip line between two trees about 120 feet apart. For the stopper, I used a pool noodle around the cable and zip tied it very tight a couple of inches apart along it's length. It stops and cushions very well. The boys still swing up and bounce pretty good but they love it.I used a choker cable (pre made with loops and lugs)around each tree and a come along to tighten the cable. The main cable is clamped several times along one of the choker cables so the pull isn't on the come along. I just loosen the clamps to tighten the cable with the come along then retighten the cable to the choker cable.
David Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in