Four wheel drive question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Four wheel drive question

I have a 97 king cab dodge 1500, 360 v8. Several months back, after using my four wheel drive, the 4x4 light stayed on. I can't get it to turn off but the truck is definately not in four wheel drive. The 4x4 still works great. It is an automatic transmission with a manual gear for 4x4. I took it to a shop but didnt want to pay the 75.00 diagnostic fee to have it checked out. Before I do that, I wanted to ask around and see if anyone has an idea of what it could be.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Four wheel drive question

You could disconnect your neg battery terminal for approx 15minutes. It will reset your computer. The down side is you will have to re-program everything in your radio.
bigblue98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin

i know places like auto zone can pull codes and do it for free...might try that before disconnecting the batt.
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Trigger

It probably won't throw a code unless the check engine or abs light is on. Nearly all vehicles sold in the US has OBD2 now and a code reader can be purchased at any parts store for $100+-

If the steering is acting normal, my guess would be a switch on the axel disconnect. A Haynes or Chilton manual would be a good place to check.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Trigger

Try going in Reverse for about 20-30 yards. Then back to forward gear, park, kill it and restart. If that doesn't work I'd disconnect the battery like was mentioned before.
Barnacle Brain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Grouper

I'm not 100% sure how the dodge is but, alot of 4x4's have a vacumn actuated mechanism to engage the front axle when shifted into 4x4. There is a chance of a couple things. 1) the hose that supplies vacumn to the front axle may have broken or developed a leak somewhere down the line. This should be fairly easy to inspect the line for damage/cracks/etc. 2) the diaphram that is inside of the front axle assembly may have developed a hole/tear/etc. ie; something that would make the diaphram inoperable.

Whether the front axle disconnect is vacumn operated or electrically operated on the Dodge, I don't know.

Whichever it is, since the light is still on and it is not in 4x4 check those things. Oh, and look under the truck at the transfer case & Trans, see if there is a loose electrical plug (some 4x4's have an electric sensor on the T-case to identify IN/OUT of 4x4)
BIGRIGZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
BIGRIGZ (1/15/2008)I'm not 100% sure how the dodge is but, alot of 4x4's have a vacumn actuated mechanism to engage the front axle when shifted into 4x4. There is a chance of a couple things. 1) the hose that supplies vacumn to the front axle may have broken or developed a leak somewhere down the line. This should be fairly easy to inspect the line for damage/cracks/etc. 2) the diaphram that is inside of the front axle assembly may have developed a hole/tear/etc. ie; something that would make the diaphram inoperable.

Whether the front axle disconnect is vacumn operated or electrically operated on the Dodge, I don't know.

Whichever it is, since the light is still on and it is not in 4x4 check those things. Oh, and look under the truck at the transfer case & Trans, see if there is a loose electrical plug (some 4x4's have an electric sensor on the T-case to identify IN/OUT of 4x4)
Doesn't that only apply to "Shift on-the-fly" models? I thought that manual shift 4x4 models didn't have the vacuum operated front ends - I may be wrong though. Then again, he may have the shift on the fly model - I didn't read if he did or didn't.
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Sailfish

did you slap on the dash board a few times and wack the console with the tips of your fingers? If not, I would do that first.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Rammer Jammer (1/15/2008)

Doesn't that only apply to "Shift on-the-fly" models? I thought that manual shift 4x4 models didn't have the vacuum operated front ends - I may be wrong though. Then again, he may have the shift on the fly model - I didn't read if he did or didn't.

Even with todays "manual" transfer cases, the hubs are usually either electric or vacuum operated. If you don't have to get out and lock the front hubs (like you did back mid '80's and earlier), then they are electric or vacuum operated. Been a long time since I have seen a newer model vehicle with manual hubs.

I am pretty sure that my Chevy is electric, little solenoid that is known to cause problems. My neighbor just traded an '03 F250 diesel that was vacuum operated, you could hear it if you engaged 4wd while sitting still.

Hope this makes since.
shakeyjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
shakeyjr (1/15/2008)
Quote:
Rammer Jammer (1/15/2008)

Even with todays "manual" transfer cases, the hubs are usually either electric or vacuum operated. If you don't have to get out and lock the front hubs (like you did back mid '80's and earlier), then they are electric or vacuum operated. Been a long time since I have seen a newer model vehicle with manual hubs.

I am pretty sure that my Chevy is electric, little solenoid that is known to cause problems. My neighbor just traded an '03 F250 diesel that was vacuum operated, you could hear it if you engaged 4wd while sitting still.

Hope this makes since.
Gotcha, makes sense to me.
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in