Fishin' 4 a Cure - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Fishin' 4 a Cure

I am hoping some PFF'ers can help me with a little project.Unfortunately, I would guess that 90% of the people on this board have been affected by cancer whether it be a close friend, parent, grandparent, child, sibling or even yourself. The two biggest influences in my love for fishing fought cancer. My Grandfather died of cancer over five years ago and my Grandmother is a cancer survivor :bowdown. I remember my Grandfather being so weak from Chemo that we could hardly get out of his recliner. I'd run up to the big sliding windows of his home on the bay and show him the mess of fish I had just caught. Then I'd poke my head in and he'd say "I sure wish I could help you clean those things but this stuff just makes me so sick. I'd get through with about my second fish and like clock work I'd hear the sliding door open and out he'd walk with a knife in his hand. "Well, I'm feeling a little better right now, let me show you how to clean these things." Of course he got in trouble every time he did that from Grandma but for that 15 minutes, I think he felt "normal" again. The only thing he loved more than fishing were his Family and especially his "grandyungin's."

So my wife is heading up our team and she has come up with the theme of "Fishin' 4 a Cure." Her and I have been throwing around some ideas to raise money and we want to come up with a cook book with some great seafood recipes.We are going to check with a fewrestaurants to see if they are willing to sponser a page in the cook bookas well. We will be giving these away for donations over the next few months and on the night of Relay for Life to raise money for our walking team. Anyway, I know I'm long winded but if ANY forum members would be willing to submit their recipe by PMing me with the headline COOKBOOK, we will gladly list your name as the person who submitted it or if you want to be anonymous that is fine. I know some of you have some great recipes and this will be going to a great cause. The cookbook is not going to be a major production, just something simple that Linsey and I will put together with the PC (she's great with all the graphic design programs so really she'll be doing all the work haha). Will check kinko's for some ideas on how to bind it. Every dollar we can earn will be going to help fight cancer and your time and thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated. The first meeting was tonight and we have alot of planning to do. Between now and then I'm sure I'll post more information and all help and inquires are welcome. If you don't know anything about Relay for Life (I'm just learning myself), each team has to have someone walking on the track at all times between 5 P.M. on a Friday night till Saturday morning at 10. We'vealready been told we have the duty to recruit walkers for the Midnight to 6 a.m. time slot cause "The old folks gotta get their beauty sleep" is what Dad says. There will also be asurvivorslap at the beginning forthose brave peoplewho've beat cancer!You are allan inspiration so be proud to walk that first lap!

Thanks for reading and I'll know more about what's going on in the next month or so. Relay is actually in March but we want to get this cook book going ASAP. THANK YOU AGAIN!!
FizzyLifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via ICQ to bamasam Send a message via AIM to bamasam Send a message via Yahoo to bamasam
Default RE: Fishin' 4 a Cure

Jayer I will send a couple of recipes but also want to be one of the first in line to buy one of the books!
bamasam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Grouper

Oh well, scratch that, we're going to go with the "Women of Fishing" bikini calender instead. How many takers now?? :takephoto Just joking! Come on, I know a bunch of you can cook and have great recipes you could donate.

Thanks Sam, you'll get one of the first ones printed.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to konz

Hey bro, I'll send you a recipe or two.......
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Sailfish

Hey Jayer, I have put a few recipes on the old forum that you are more than welcome to use.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...0&posts=12

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...3&posts=11

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...08&posts=6

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...49&posts=8

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...64&posts=2
Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Sailfish

does it have to be seafood recipes?
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Grouper

There we go! Thanks Matt!! Did I mention you have to cook a sample and bring it over to Linsey and I. How bout 6 tonight? :moon

AU, I think we are going to stick to seafood since our logo is "Fishin' 4 a Cure."

Thanks everyone and keep them coming. I'm not going to do a search and take any recipes unless I get permission from the poster.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Grouper

I would love to share a seafood recipe. will work on submission over weekend via PM

thanks for the opportunity:hungry
FishnLane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Sailfish

Jayer... I'll hunt for some recipes also... There is a great one I'll pull that I found and posted using tuna. I also would like a cook book!!!

I've donated two mineral makeup travel bags to the "Ya Ya's" this weekend and next to help raise money for breast cancer. Anyone has anything like that going... please let me know and I'll help as much as I can!

Pam
SheYakFishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
FizzyLifter (10/12/2007)AU, I think we are going to stick to seafood since our logo is "Fishin' 4 a Cure."
don't have to be rude about it :letsdrink

I have a good steak recipe thats why I was wondering. I don't do anything fancy with fish, just grill and then salt and pepper.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in