AAR
Snapper

Default The fight for Cam Newton - Wow!

Phillip Marshall
40 minutes ago
Comments:1
Add a comment

1Share

In the first installment of an exclusive two-part AuburnUndercover.com report, Rich McGlynn, Auburn's senior associate athletics director for compliance, goes on the record about the controversy that surrounded Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton.
Associate athletics director Rich McGlynn

AUBURN – It was Tuesday, Nov. 30, and championship fever was running high at Auburn. Still basking in the glow of a historic comeback for a 28-27 win at Alabama, the unbeaten Tigers were four days away from playing South Carolina in the Southeastern Conference Championship Game. A trip to the BCS Championship Game hung in the balance.

But in his office at the Auburn Football Complex, Rich McGlynn wasn’t in a celebratory mood. After weeks of fighting to keep star quarterback Cam Newton on the field, McGlynn was writing a letter he’d hoped not to write. The NCAA had reached the conclusion that Mississippi State booster Kenny Rogers acted as a scholarship agent for Newton when Newton was being recruited out of Blinn College. It had recommended that Newton, the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, be declared ineligible.

McGlynn, Auburn’s senior associate athletics director in charge of compliance, didn’t agree with that decision. But it was up to him to make it official by writing a letter to the NCAA and informing Newton and Auburn’s football coaches.

“When that advice came from the NCAA, he was declared ineligible,” McGlynn said in an exclusive interview with AuburnUndercover.com. “You want to talk about a difficult letter to write? I wrote that letter because it becomes an institutional decision. Although I disagreed that he had a scholarship agent, I understood the decision because of the intent behind the rule. But writing that letter, stating he was ineligible, around here, at Auburn, that was no fun.”

Newton, who had been under intense scrutiny since early November, had his eligibility restored less than 24 hours later and went on to lead Auburn to the national championship and win virtually every major award available to him.

Even as he wrote the letter, McGlynn believed Newton’s eligibility would be restored because he was convinced that Newton had done nothing wrong. But he says there was no guarantee, no agreement. All he could do was submit an appeal requesting reinstatement and hope the NCAA saw it the same way.

“I knew we had a pretty good argument that Cam had very little culpability,” McGlynn said. “In fact, none. I think we put a really strong argument together that, although technically this bylaw might have been violated, it does not warrant withholding an individual from competition, especially when he had no knowledge it was going on. That, I think, is ultimately what the NCAA agreed with. Thank goodness it did.”

It all started with an ESPN.com report on Nov. 4 that the NCAA was investigating accusations that Newton’s father, Cecil, had sought, through Rogers, $180,000 for his son to sign with Mississippi State. A firestorm was unleashed. Erroneous reports said that Auburn had defied an NCAA recommendation that Newton be held out of competition. Newton’s character was called into question.

As the weeks went by, the harsh criticism of Newton and his family intensified. Through it all, McGlynn was convinced that Auburn’s star quarterback would be exonerated.

“I never once had any belief that Cam was ineligible,” McGlynn said. “But under the bylaw, they said he was ineligible because he had an athletic scholarship agent. Cam was the No. 1 prospect coming out of junior college. He didn’t need an agent.

“I completely understand when you step back and say, ‘Someone soliciting $180,000 from somewhere, there is no place for that in college athletics.’ But the rule isn’t written to cover that situation. There were times we went back and forth and had a very open dialogue about the whole process. If I'd had a concern about eligibility, he wouldn’t have played.”

Through it all, McGlynn marveled at Newton’s ability to continue to play the game at the level that made him the best player in the country and to remain outwardly unchanged off the field.

“I was so impressed with Cam, just the way he handled the situation,” McGlynn said. “I was mesmerized by the manner in which he handled himself.

“The kid doesn’t drink. He doesn’t go out. He doesn’t party. He didn’t have Facebook or Twitter. I don’t think there are many people – professional athletes included – that could have gone through what he’s gone through and played at such a level.”

McGlynn says the strength of Newton’s family was on display almost on a daily basis. It wasn’t widely known, but Cecil Jr., the oldest son of Cecil and Jackie Newton, spent much of the season at his younger brother’s side.

“Cecil Jr. is top-notch,” McGlynn said. “He was around Cam a lot last fall. People didn’t know that. He was protecting his little brother. He’s just a great human being. I was just thoroughly impressed with the family unit. They went through struggles. I saw them in highs and I saw them in lows, but one thing never changed: That was the love and honor and respect they had for each other.

“… I think that falls back to their fundamental belief in God. They always went back to ‘We’re going to stand on the Rock.’ Does that mean people are perfect? No. Does that mean they didn’t make mistakes? No. I think they would come back and admit to their mistakes. But we’re all human and all make mistakes.”

As the process unfolded, Auburn officials went for weeks without public comment. McGlynn, who has a law degree, says it was the way it had to be.

“It is the standard criminal law theory,” McGlynn said. “Anything you say can and will be used against you. We felt like the loudest statement we could make would be having Cam run out of the tunnel and play while eligible every Saturday. Every week he played solidified our strategy.

“Our actions spoke louder than our words. Anything we said was not going to change those who believed what we said versus those who did not or will not believe anything we ever say.”

Tomorrow: McGlynn on his journey to Auburn, the state or college athletics, his role as Auburn's top compliance officer and more

Last edited by AAR; 06-30-2011 at 01:22 PM.
AAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Snapper

If you really believe every word of this, you're just as dillusional as we Bama fans that think it's all one big lie. The NCAA is in Montgomery today investigating the very player that this article puts on a pedestal. In 2 months, Auburn will reeling from back to back investigations on multiple fronts (cam, trevon reed, therizie, south florida, lyles in Ark) Dreams of a Cam Newton statue in front of Jordan Hare will be replaced with burnt effigies of the player that was so good that he brought the wolves to the university's doorstep.

Auburn's gonna burn, there's too much smoke, and if you're honest with yourself....you know I'm right.

Call me Bammer if you want, but I actually graduated from Auburn in 03'. That ought to give me a little credibility. I don't want to see them go down, but they went over the line too many times.

Last edited by Orangebeach28; 06-30-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Orangebeach28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Wow OB28, finally someone from Auburn that has some common sense. I am impressed.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangebeach28 View Post
Call me Bammer if you want, .

Nah, you're more of an Updyke.
Zifnab316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Trigger

^thats a valiant first post sir
Bump_N_Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Snapper

Updyke is a jackass. Toomer's Corner was really a place for children to experience the thrill of being a fan and victory. What an asshole.

If he really wanted to stab Auburn in the heart, he should leave just well enough alone. Auburn's bitter desire to compete with their big brother on the other side of the state will make them hang themselves. The auburn NCAA demolition will in less than a month - bank it. I guess he can read it the Lee County Penn.
Orangebeach28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
AAR
Snapper

Quote:
If you really believe every word of this, you're just as dillusional as we Bama fans that think it's all one big lie. The NCAA is in Montgomery today investigating the very player that this article puts on a pedestal. In 2 months, Auburn will reeling from back to back investigations on multiple fronts (cam, trevon reed, therizie, south florida, lyles in Ark) Dreams of a Cam Newton statue in front of Jordan Hare will be replaced with burnt effigies of the player that was so good that he brought the wolves to the university's doorstep.

Auburn's gonna burn, there's too much smoke, and if you're honest with yourself....you know I'm right.

Call me Bammer if you want, but I actually graduated from Auburn in 03'. That ought to give me a little credibility. I don't want to see them go down, but they went over the line too many times.
Man! I've never been called a barner before!

I posted this because I couldn't believe fat-Phil Marshall would've owned up to all the facts in the article! Did you see where they admitted that the NCAA came to the conclusion that Cam was being shopped by a scholarship agent?!

Then Auburn's compliance director made the decision that he didn't agree with NCAA so they reinstated him?! NCAA can only suspend a player based on AGREED UPON FACTS. Auburn refused to agree with the NCAA and, consequently, reinstated Cam before the SECCG. Also, I'd say it is very conspicuous that the NCAA only made auburn aware of their suspicions IMMEDIATELY AFTER the Bama game!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
AAR
Snapper

Default Two Cam Newton Articles from the AU propaganda machine in one day...

That can only mean one thing: The Enemy Is At The Gate.

Theater of the absurd
Phillip Marshall
15 hours ago
Comments:12
Add a comment

9Share

The NCAA is not a government entity and is not fettered by concepts like “innocent until proven guilty.” It has shown over the years that it can bring down a player or even a program with evidence that would be tossed out of any courtroom.
Senior Editor Phillip Marshall

Yet, even with those standards, NCAA investigators never found any evidence that warranted taking Auburn quarterback Cam Newton off the field or penalizing Auburn’s program in any way. As the world knows, he led Auburn to a 14-0 record and the national championship.

Evidence be damned, the effort to make a villain out of the best player of a generation knows no bounds. Nor apparently does the effort to somehow find a way to question Auburn’s national championship.

Newton won the Heisman Trophy despite numerous voters leaving him off their ballots.

The Football Writers Association of America, in a display of remarkable pettiness, left Newton off its All-America team and put two other quarterbacks on it.

Gene Chizik took over a program that had gone 5-7 in 2008 and won the national championship in 2010, yet SEC coaches voted for South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier as Coach of the Year. That would be the same Spurrier who lost five games yet again and was overwhelmed 56-17 by Auburn in the most lopsided SEC Championship Game ever.

Tuesday, the SEC athletic directors got into the act. They voted for Tennessee tennis player John-Patrick Smith over Newton as male Athlete of the Year. Since 1977, the first year the award was given, winning the Heisman Trophy had meant winning the Athlete of the Year award. Not this time.

Smith is a tremendous athlete, a four-time All-American in singles and doubles, but to say any athlete in the SEC was better in 2010-2011 than Newton is to venture into the theater of the absurd.

Newton led his team to the national championship. He won the Heisman Trophy, the Maxwell Award, the Manning Award, the Davey O’Brien Award and virtually every other award for which he was eligible.
The Carolina Panthers made him the first player chosen in the NFL draft. And he wasn’t the SEC Male Athlete of the Year?

Chizik takes a team picked to finish in the middle of the West Division to a 14-0 record, oversees the greatest comeback in Auburn history at Bryant-Denny Stadium, no less, and isn’t Coach of the Year?

Whatever.

--------------
Bryan Matthews

33 minutes ago

Boom. Knocked that one right out of the park.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Grouper

I don't care what they do just get him out of the panthers lineup. I dodged a big enough bullet with Tebow.
ul412al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Quote:

I won't call you a bammer but I will call you an idiot. Anyone can lie about graduating anywhere they want to you fool. You need to get back to polishing Saban's shoes.
Amberjack29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in