Fast food poll - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Fast food poll

Ok, random question but perhaps the beginning of a bit of market research.

How interested would you be to have at your option the ability to stop in and grab your favorite Cajun/Creole inspired dishes in one fast (think subway type ordering) and economical ($4.50-$7.50) place?

Answering the poll would be great. It would be AWESOME if you could throw in some of your own input and/or opinions such as if your more apt to try it for lunch or dinner and at what type of location.

Thanks in advance!

One year update on page four.

Last edited by JD7.62; 12-31-2010 at 12:52 AM.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

Default RE: Fast food poll

I'd be very happy to have a place like that around.

There was a guy in Katy,Texas that had a little stand. It was called Chucks Cajun Kitchen and it was awesome! He had been a cook at one of the big restaurants and broke off to do his own thing. He was in a little shack like a snow cone stand, just big enough for a fridge, a stove and a propane cooker. He had the best etoufee I ever had, plus gumbo and crawfish boiled by the pound when in season. He also would order sacks of crawfish and oysters when you needed them for your own parties. It was to go or at the little picnic table outside. That was it, no frills, no overhead just good food fast and ready to go.

I drove through La yesterday and was gonna stop at the BPS on I12 for lunch and let the kids run around for a while. My wife noticed a little place called the Jumbalaya shop. So we ate there instead, it was awesome, we had the gumbo, jumbalaya, crawfish pie and meat pie between all of us. They had a lot of stuff on the menu all the goodies. It was great, fast service, good food, just whatwe needed after a day on the road.

Good luck with your endeavor. If it's close enough we will sure enough stop in often.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Thanks very much for your input!

What I may be looking at is a franchise that has been doing very well in KY and Ohio. One location has now opened up in New Orleans. Depending on that locations success, I would like to move one to the Gulf Coast some where between Mobile and Panama City.

The concept is similiar to that of a Subway or Chipotle or Qdoba. Unlike Subway but like the other two, you will be able to purchase your favorite beer and really sit down and enjoy your meal instead of feeling like you are just at a fast food place. Of course, you will still get your meal quickly in case you have a short lunch.

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
naclh2oDave (12/29/2009)

I drove through La yesterday and was gonna stop at the BPS on I12 for lunch and let the kids run around for a while. My wife noticed a little place called the Jumbalaya shop. So we ate there instead, it was awesome, we had the gumbo, jumbalaya, crawfish pie and meat pie between all of us. They had a lot of stuff on the menu all the goodies. It was great, fast service, good food, just whatwe needed after a day on the road.

Should have tried the "Pastalya" too. Is better if you re-heat leftovers later than jambalaya too.

BTW, you were just about 10 miles from my abode when ya stopped at BPS.

At the same exit just North of I-12 is a place named "Don's hut". They have good eats too.
Reel Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Put in between Ft Walton and Panama City and Id eat there twice a week. I love some good cajun food.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Sailfish

On the sub of a new fast food place,I don't understand why there's no BOJANGLES down here either!! It's the South, GOT TO HAVE a Bojangles(and for anybody that has never had Bojangles,well Popeyes & Churchs ain't it!! Bojangles is a real deal.)
reelfinatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Initially, I was excited at the prospect but after reading about it being afranchise, Ibecame somewhat less enthusiastic. The problem I have with franchises istheir lack of individuality. The food preparation is gearedto a broad segment of the population and nota specific one. As a franchise owner, you're not a chef but a distributor of food which is essentially prepared at a central location. Rather than eating at franchises, I prefer to explore the independent restaurants that frequently serve one or two of the best dishes I have tried anywhere. For example, those familiar with theNew Orleans/Chalmette area must have eaten at Rocky & Carlo in Chalmette.A hole-in-the-wall if there ever was one but theirpo'boys, muffelattas, and wop salads were superb. A New OrleansBud's Broiler hamburger back in the 60's and 70's is another example. Now they have several locations in the New Orleans area. Also, the original Randazzo's Bakery in Chalmette.....the best king cake - period. To me cajun cuisine is something that is very individual. For instance, shrimp remoulade or crawfish etoufee recipes abound but that special recipethat takes your taste buds to nirvana are few and far in between. Sometimes, all it takes is a minor variation in preparing the roux. In my opinion, I just don't think a franchise can deliverthat "je ne sai quois".
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Orion45 (12/29/2009)Those familiar with theNew Orleans/Chalmette area must have eaten at Rocky & Carlo in Chalmette. A New OrleansBud's Broiler hamburger back in the 60's and 70's is another example.
It has been along time sincethis boy heard "Rocky and Carlos" down in the parish spoken. I have wondered how they faired since Katrina. Have not been there since the late 70's and early 80's.

And Bud's Broiler, simple but great, not only the burger, but how about those chile dogs, and the fries, all at a reasonable cost.

The one thing I miss is the food, great food, on every corner. Why can there not be be great food here, we are close enough. Heck, even Mobile has some god food on the corner, but not here. No Way.

Why??
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
JD7.62 (12/29/2009)How interested would you be to have at your option the ability to stop in and grab your favorite Cajun/Creole inspired dishes in one fast (think subway type ordering) and economical ($4.50-$7.50) place?
I would love some competion with Jerry's Cajun Cafe. Jerry is a good friend of mine and I wish him the best. But some variety would be fantastic. There is an old Buger King down by McGuire's, along with all the other restuarants. For the pensacola area, I think that would be great location. Heck, Cajun Speciaty meats is behind there, but out of sight is out of mind.

You would need a high traffic area and that road is HIGH Traffic!!!

I could go on and on about this subject, as I grew up in the New Orleans area. Every place had great food. If they were not, they went away. Visitors would ask " where is a good place to eat in New Orleans"?

I would say "Any place that is open".

Here in Pensacola, that questions does need to be presented. Don't get me wrong, there are some great places here, but not what I grew up with.

Now if you do this, it better be good!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Splittine (12/29/2009)Put in between Ft Walton and Panama City and Id eat there twice a week. I love some good cajun food.
There was a place, near San Destin, I can not remember the name (like Tips) they were on the north side of highway 98, just before Miramar Beach. They are gone now. They were from Laffayette. I think their over head was too high. Plus they were in an area where many from Louisiana vacation, but would have to drive to get to.

How many from the bayou, want to eat bayou food on a back road. If it was water front / beach front they might have done better. Heck, look at all the places inside San Destin, at the Baytowne Warf. They got some good cajun there and they are open and doing well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in