Ex-Tenant Problem - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Ex-Tenant Problem

Got a small problem with a tenant - they've more or less abandoned the property. I say abandoned, but they are currently in Escambia Jail and won't be out for months, if not years. They weren't picked up for jay walking.

I've served a 3 day eviction notice on the property as rent was due on the 1st and obviously not forthcoming, and they have arrears which we've worked with them on the past on, which I'm figuring is some what blown. I just need to file the 3 day at the court.

A family member of the tenant is meant to be clearing the place - but the problem is - what if he doesn't?

I have a tenant lined up for June 1 and want to get this place cleared.

Any ideas what I do with all the stuff?
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Got a few options....talk to the tenant (visiting hours) and see what he/she is going to do. It really depends on how cordial you and they wanna be. Until a "legal" eviction is performed you will be responsible fer any items in the house. A legal eviction may cost you a bit of change but may also keep you from running into problems. Good luck!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Follow-thru with the eviction, its the best way to avoid liabilty for their stuff. Once the Sheriff meets you at the house and you change the locks, you are only required to move their belongings to the edge of the property, after that it not your problem.

If you want to be considerate, contact their family member and tell them when the stuff will be moved out
LukeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Don't touch anything or allow anybody else to touch it until you go through the full eviction process. The Sheriff's office will get involved and do that for you. Like LukeS said, you have to be careful to avoid any kind of liability.

It will cost you a couple hundred bucks and it takes a while. Hope it works out.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Trigger

Family have just stepped forward and are clearing the place and putting all her stuff into storage, they already have house keys and one of them was the joint tenant early last year. They've asked for locks to be changed once all the stuff is out.
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in