Electric Golf Cart Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Electric Golf Cart Question

For those of you who have electric carts or may happen to know the answer:

Have you installed a radio? If so, how did power it; separate accessory battery, voltage reducer off the pack, etc? I really don't want to install a separate battery that I have to charge independently. There's got to be somewhere on that cart that has 12V, which I can tap into. I checked the voltage to my winch and it's 15V, which I think is a little much for what I am trying to power. I've got a small motorcycle amp mounted inside a speaker tube that I plug my ipod, etc. into. I've got a male "cigarette lighter" adapter with an inline power switch going to the amp. So, I need power to the female adapter that I plan to dash mount. Is that about as clear as mud.
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

This doesn't answer your question, but some radios are happy seeing 36v or 48v. Check the input specs. I think 15v would be fine for all 12v radios. A fully charged 12v battery should deliver 13.8v and your car/boat alternator is chugging out about 14.4v or so.
skipperbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperbrown View Post
This doesn't answer your question, but some radios are happy seeing 36v or 48v. Check the input specs. I think 15v would be fine for all 12v radios. A fully charged 12v battery should deliver 13.8v and your car/boat alternator is chugging out about 14.4v or so.
Thanks, but like i mentioned, I not using a typical radio head unit. I am using a small motorcycle amp to power the speakers and I am pretty sure anything slightly more than 12V will zap that little amp.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Sailfish

Cant you get an inexpensive voltage reducer to do the trick at the ez-go store maybe?
Lyin Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyin Too View Post
Cant you get an inexpensive voltage reducer to do the trick at the ez-go store maybe?
I called and the guy said he doesn't carry them in stock. Plus, they aren't really "inexpensive", which is why I was trying to locate an existing 12V connection somewhere on the cart. I am going to check the power to the headlights. I may get 12V from there. I was just wondering what other were doing on their carts. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Mingo

I have a 48 volt cart with 6 8s. I used a reducer to take it from 16 to 12. You can buy them over on Brent at that golf cart place.
aquabubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabubba View Post
I have a 48 volt cart with 6 8s. I used a reducer to take it from 16 to 12. You can buy them over on Brent at that golf cart place.
Can you post the name of the place, I wasn't aware of a cart place on Brent? Also, where did you have 16V at? Shouldn't your 6 8V be series together to make 48V going to the motor?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Voltage Reducer is the way to go but, the ones worth using start at several hundred dollars. It really comes down to how much you use the cart and how far you want to go per charge. For mild use, pulling from 2 batteries should work just fine.
Reelfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Trigger

If you have a 36v cart then you can just jump two positives to make 12v. If it's a 48 then you will need a voltage converter. Or you could find somewhere to stash a smaller 12v battery like one out of a lawnmower and rig a piggyback for a trickle charger on it so you can charge it while you charge the other batteries. Luckily mine is 36v and I will just be running a jumper wire to power the amp.
xxxxxxkidsoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in