Decent but inexpensive impact driver? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree3Likes

Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Decent but inexpensive impact driver?

I have been thinking of getting a cordless impact screwdriver but I can't decide which brand to go with. Right now all my cordless stuff is the old style 18 volt DeWalt and I have looked at buying just a bare impact and they appeared to run about 100 bucks. For about that price I can other ones with two batteries. This is for homeowner use not everyday. While working as a sheet metal worker I have used DeWalt,Riyobi, Porter Cable, And Hitachi. The DeWalt Lith ion was my favorite but the others got the same job done just heavier with the NiCd batteries. My thoughts on buying a top of the line impact for home use is that the batteries will go bad before I ever get all the use out of them. Anybody have any input or past experience they want to share with middle of the road cordless stuff? I would like to. Keep all my batteries the same but for the price I don't think that is going to happen unless I find a good used one.

"This boat runs on gas, not thank you's"
murfpcola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #2
Sailfish

Rigid!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

http://www.lowes.com/pd_254285-70-DC...ductId=3441518

I use the 20V Dewalt driver daily and like it alot.... I'm sure there are better ones, but I have no complaints...
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
Grouper

I have Makita, DeWalt and Bosch. I have to say the Dewalt 20v brushless is a hands down favorite for run time, balance and weight. If it was for home use only I would probably look at the Ryobi LiIon.

Also, I have seen some pretty good post holiday clearance deals at Home Depot recently.
GENTLE WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #5
Sailfish

Ridgid
doradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 01:04 AM   #6
Grand Slam

Love my Makita. But for middle of the road? Ole ryobi probably ok. Batteries dont last lonflg though
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

most of the batteries come from the same plants in China regardless of what brand you buy and in about 3 years it is time to buy again. = $
Like you I seldom need one but have a Harbor Freight corded driver .
Under the hood of my FJ is a 3500 watt inverter and I have generators at my off grid 2nd home is how I go about my electrical needs.

do you really want to go through keeping batteries charged , maintained and replaced for something you seldom use?

HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
153 large fishes
Sailfish

When it comes to cordless impacts and drills I just don't like the cheap ones..the 20v dewalt is real good...I have some smaller Milwaukees too but there's no comparison...and Harbor frieght power tools are just not for me...so it's more of a situation to find a good deal on a good impact...check home depot they have lots of sales /promotions to sell good kits reasonably...

PS if you get rigid..YOU MUST SEND IN WARRANTY INFO OR HOME DEPOT WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEM ANY LONGER
(Rigid has a lifetime warranty, but only for registered tools)
hsiF deR likes this.

"cast your nets on the right side of the boat"
153 Large fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
Sailfish

Myself and two friends all got the Ryobi 18V Lithium deal at Home Depot back around Christmas. We've been using them a lot over the last few weeks at work disassembling hangars including thousands of screws and hundreds of 3/8" lag bolts in PT wood. . I'm extremely pleased. HD has their 2 pack 4 Amp battery packs on sale too right now so two of us went in on a set ($79.00).

I prefer Milwaukee and Dewalt but for the price and home use I just can't see anything better.

I also bought the Sawzall for the set. I certainly wouldn't rely on it for constant use but it gets the job done.
Seanpcola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
White Marlin

If you've never used an impact driver, you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner. You can drive a 3" drywall screw into a 2x4 without the bit jumping out and stripping out the head.

I converted over from Makita to Bosch over the years. I'm very happy with their tools. I had to replace the brushes in my impact driver a couple of times over the years, but I used the heck out.
nathar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in