Counter tops - local sources? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shootnstarz

Old 12-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Counter tops - local sources?

Ok, PFF, we want new kitchen countertops.
We're thinking butcher-block style counters in either cherry or mahogany, approximately 60 sq ft.

We just need materials ordered to size. We'll handle cut-outs and installation.

We'd like to find a local source, if possible, so we don't have to buy online. What's the best place to get it local?

Thanks!!
Felix
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Lumber liquidators? Or something like that iver on Olive. Or just get some clamps a belt sander, tables saw,glue and make em, lol
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
White Marlin

Mills can order it but they pretty much can only get rock maple. Frankly I wouldn't want a countertop that wasn't rock maple. The woods you listed are most likely too soft and open grained to make a good top. Cost about $60 - $75 a linear foot.

You will need a good food grade finish for them too, regular old cabinet coatings won't fly, toxic.

Rick
Flounderpounder likes this.
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Drew Dennis (omega) did ours a few years back. They are concrete and we like them. Although they need refinishing and it's hard to find someone to do that.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Sailfish

Thanks for the info.
We have granite right now, actually nice stuff, but we don't care for it much.

We want something softer, less loud and harsh, less busy patterning, etc. We thought about concrete and various other hard surfaces, but we decided wood would suit us better.

Building from scratch is not outside the realm of possibility, but I'd like to let someone else do that part... I'm already having trouble finding time to visit my tree stand.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Mills has excellent prices.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
White Marlin

Go to the Lumber Liquidators website and search for "counter tops." They have a large selection. The only two places locally that have beam saws are Mills Distributors and AA Tops, but they may not cut it if you didn't buy it from them. Call them and find out. That would be easier than rough cutting with a circular saw and cleaning up with a straight router bit and straight edge.

I had to join two pieces of maple butcher block lengthwise when I remodeled my sister's kitchen. I think at the time we could only get 25" widths, and we needed a 45" wide top. I let the router wobble while I was jointing the edge, and it put a nice gouge in it. So, like craftsmen have done for ages, I covered my screw up with a bow tie inlay.

If acrylic plastic (Corian) is okay for kitchen counter top, then I'd be okay with any of the woods that L.L. offers. I just wouldn't cut directly on the counter top, though, even if it was rock hard maple.

My wife and I have been agonizing over what type of counter tops are going to replace our current laminate tops. I'll never have plastic (Corian) counter tops again; too easily scratched. Seriously considered concrete because I poured a set for our outdoor kitchen, but we never found a color that we liked, and they're high maintenance. We thought we were settled on a quartz color, but with gold travertine on the floor, we thought a pale yellow counter top would be too much. I wasn't thrilled with the other color we picked out. Punted.

So, your post gives me an idea...
nathar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
Sailfish

Yeah, we almost went with the poured concrete, but that's no softer and just as loud as the granite we have.

I don't plan to use the counters to cut on, we'll definitely use cutting boards.

I looked at some butcher block counters on the L.L. website and their product seems to have too many end joints in the planks... not the greatest quality.

We've found some online sources for nice counters built to any even inch measurement, with very few, or no, end joints in the field.

We'll check with Mills tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixH View Post
Yeah, we almost went with the poured concrete, but that's no softer and just as loud as the granite we have.

I don't plan to use the counters to cut on, we'll definitely use cutting boards.

I looked at some butcher block counters on the L.L. website and their product seems to have too many end joints in the planks... not the greatest quality.

We've found some online sources for nice counters built to any even inch measurement, with very few, or no, end joints in the field.

We'll check with Mills tomorrow.
Share that website please.

I agree with you on the end joints after seeing some customer-submitted pictures. I would prefer the look of southern yellow pine 2x12's over some of the ones on the site. I liked the bamboo a lot, though.

I looked at some salvage heart pine on eBay. Gears are turning.
nathar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Sailfish

Some of the websites/products we're looking at:

http://www.jaaronwoodcountertops.com/

http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/

http://www.johnboos.com/

http://craft-art.com/

There were one or two more we looked at, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. I don't have the notes with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in