Computer Backup or Mirroring??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Computer Backup or Mirroring???

Got a hard drive in the desktop making some strange noise. Thinking about just going on and dropping in a replacement drive. I have a 160GB external (2.0 USB) that I have been using for backing up my documents, photos, etc by just copying the files over to the external drive. This is a Windows XP Home(SP2) machine.

Anybody got any suggestions for good backup software that will help me in transferring the old HD over to a new one as well as scheduling automatic backups of my data...or even a clone on the external HD? Would like to be able to set it up to automatically do the backup at a set time each day and probably just backup any changed files.

Downloadable, either pay, free or shareware, or store bought would be ok.

Thanks,

Capt Joe
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Default RE: Computer Backup or Mirroring???

Drive image 7works great with XP for me.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Grouper

Acronis True Image... Get it offline or you can get it at Office Depot. I believe it's like 40 bucks.
Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Trigger

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into them.

Chris, have you had any experience with the Acronis V11 (I think it is the most recent version). I just had seen on discussion of it on a RV board and they were saying the latest version left a lot to be desired but the V10 was great. I do realize how these things get blown up at times but just wondering if you had seen or experiencedthat.

Also, what about hard drives themselves? Anybody got any strong likes/dislikes of a particular brand. Saw a Western Digital Internal 320GB drive at Sam's while ago for just under $80. WD still a good drive? I most recently picked up a Seagate 160GB external USB 2.0 and it has worked well but was lacking any usable, IMHO, backup software.

Thanks,

Capt Joe
Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Second Acronis.

I have V10 and it does the job. Had V9 before that. I can't imagine V11 is worse and if you have trouble with it and you bitch I bet they'll make V10 available to you.

Acronis makes copying to a new drive trivial and also takes care of routine backups. If you have a network storage device or a USB-attached disk you can be totally protected against an "aw shit!" disk failure incident, which are a lot more common than you think.

Norton's Ghost sucks raw eggs by comparison, which is the other common recommendation.

As for disks my personal favorites are Hitachi. Among the others I have little preference. I beat the shit out of disks; I've yet to have a Hitachi fail in-service other than on an infant-mortality basis.

That's pretty damn good - but with that said if I really care I run mirrored (my big fileserver is set up that way) and then back up to a third and fourth disk (rotation), pretty much insuring I can't be screwed and left with unrecoverable data.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
Trigger

Thanks for the input, Genesis.

I think I will give Acronis a try. I do have the USP drive attached externally and also burn my photos and documents to a DVD so I hope in the worst case that I will still have the most important items covered.

Capt Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Grouper

I don't have any problems with 11....

As for drives, I like WD and Maxtor for SATA and ATA drives. I like Seagate and Hitachi for SCSI drives. They are all good. I have seen more WD's go bad than the others though...
Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I've had problems with both WD and Maxtors in the past.

Right now my "main" server has two 500GB Hitachi Deskstars and two 750GBs in it (the latter are the backups) with a third off-site that gets rotated.

I've got two 250GBs in my desktop machine (again Hitachis); all SATA.

I've also got a smattering of WDs in various other machines in the house; I think all of my Maxtors have now been rotated out and replaced (although there is one "new" 80GB IDE that's still in the shrink from the last one I sent back to them and had replaced.)

Nowdays its almost never worth it to actually warranty replace one unless it fails within the first six months to a year, because the price/performance comes down so fast that you're just better off buying a faster/bigger replacement.

I like SCSI better for performance BUT the manufacturers have had too many hits off the bong on the prices. You can stripe across multiple SATA drives and get the same performance or better for less money in virtually all cases. Now if you need to do that with SCSI to get the performance levels you require then ok, it makes sense. There ARE a few applications where this is the case - but not many.

People talk about how much faster SCSI is but in reality the differences are not large any more. I see sustained transfer rates in excess of 40Mbytes/second off virtually anySATA drive nowdays and can do double that on a striped array. That's smoking.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in