Commute to Mobile? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Commute to Mobile?

Moving to GB soon... how bad is a daily commute to Mobile?
Also, what about Fort Walton with beach trafffic on 98 heading back to GB in the evenings?
cb8892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Trigger

Pensacola to Mobile is at least an hour depending on where you're going, add another 15 minutes or so if you're coming from GB, GB to FWB can vary from 30 - 45 minutes, depending on where in GB and where in FWB. In my opinion the 98 traffic doesn't get BAD BAD until Destin. I used to go Pensacola to Destin a couple times a month and it really wasn't bad. I looked forward to it actually.

I used to have a job where our regional sales office was in Mobile and I had to commute their once a week, on a Monday. I hated that so much that it made Sunday depressing. Just saying, I wouldn't do it again unless someone paid me an obnoxious amount of money. Of course, I don't like to go West of Palafox.
jw1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Trigger

More specific to you your question about returning from FWB to GB, I don't recall the evenings being bad. Again, once you clear Destin and Okaloosa Island, traffic opens up pretty good. Sometimes Hurlburt would be busy but it wasn't bad. Distance wise, I think GB to FWB is less than 30 miles depending on stop/start position.
jw1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb8892 View Post
Moving to GB soon... how bad is a daily commute to Mobile?
Also, what about Fort Walton with beach trafffic on 98 heading back to GB in the evenings?
I don't know about the commute from GB to Mobile but the commute from Ft Walton sure does suck during rush hour. During rush hour it usually takes me 45 min to get home from Ft Walton. If there is a wreck it can take me anywhere from 1-4 hours to get home. What's funny is I can get to Ft Walton or drive from Ft Walton in 15 min when the traffic is bare. The hrs that suck are 6-7:30 a.m and 4-6 p.m! Hope this helps!
acoustifunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for all the info... much appreciated.
cb8892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Mingo

I commute from Cantonment to Mobile everyday. It takes about an hour and 5 minutes for me to my office. It's not bad if I leave at 5:50 am I get there at 7:00. If I leave closer to 7:00 then sometimes it takes until 8:15 to get there because of increased traffic on the bayway. Coming back at the end of the day is a different story. If I leave my office at 4:55 then I beat most of the traffic through the smaller Bankhead tunnel. If I can't leave by then I wait until 5:30. The traffic is a little better by then. Also before I leave the office for home I check the ALDOT traffic cameras on their website. If it looks like an accident on the bayway I can plan my way around it ahead of time. I would rather be moving than sitting in traffic. Also you will need to plan on spending extra money at Bass Pro Shop in Spanish Fort. It's hard to pass everyday without stopping in on a regular basis!
Bluesbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Grouper

Wirelessly posted

I commute from Gulf Shores to Mobile everyday and it's takes me a hour and 20 minutes. I personally hate the drive and lume mentioned before the tunnels and Bayway can be a real booger bear.
AUtiger01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in