Coming to a city near you soon if not already - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Sailfish

Thumbs down Coming to a city near you soon if not already

Controversy over arrest of woman who filmed traffic stop

Rochester PD is investigating the arrest of Emily Good after she refused to go inside and stop filming

Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - The Rochester Police Department is investigating the arrest of a woman who was videotaping police during a traffic stop in front of a home on Aldine Street.
Emily Good, 28, was arrested at about 10 p.m. May 12 and charged with second-degree obstructing governmental administration. She is scheduled to appear in Rochester City Court for a proceeding on June 27, police said.
Rochester Police Chief James Sheppard issued a statement Tuesday, saying he has received a video of a woman’s arrest by city officers. “I have researched the incident and determined that the case is currently proceeding through the adjudication process,” Sheppard said in the statement. “… With the case still pending and my unfamiliarity with the specific details, any assumptions at this time would be premature.”

http://www.policeone.com/social-medi...-traffic-stop/

buy sell trade
http://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com
chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Grouper

I thought the reason for this arrest just HAD to be some kind of LEO joke!! But, I checked it out and, can you believe, the state of New York actually does have a statute on their books for this??

As directly copied from the listing:

"S 195.05 Obstructing governmental administration in the second degree. A person is guilty of obstructing governmental administration when he intentionally obstructs, impairs or perverts the administration of law or other governmental function or prevents or attempts to prevent a public servant from performing an official function, by means of intimidation, physical force or interference, or by means of any independently unlawful act, or by means of interfering, whether or not physical force is involved, with radio, telephone, television or other telecommunications systems owned or operated by the state, or a county, city, town, village, fire district or emergency medical service or by means of releasing a dangerous animal under circumstances evincing the actor`s intent that the animal obstruct governmental administration. Obstructing governmental administration is a class A misdemeanor."

If this woman spends 5 minutes in jail for such an accusation, there simply is no justice left in this world! The only part of this that I can find remotely germane to this apparent incident might be "..... prevents or attempts to prevent a public servant from performing an official function, by means of intimidation ....." and it seems like the cops would have to prove intent on the woman's part in the use of that video to make even this shred stick!

It's my belief that we have allowed the politicians to create a monster of sorts as far as the public laws are concerned in our society today. There are way too many new "laws" that sneak onto the books by means of riders and/or attachments to other bills which may be of much more importance. Many of these little "creations" are instituted to get a few more votes in the next election or to "pay" for some vague "debt owed" for a past favor rather than to improve our legal system.

As far as this news article is concerned, I have no dog in that fight, it is just the principle of the whole thing that sticks in my craw. Someone could come up with an obscure statute against sneezing in public if they wished to take enough time to dig deep enough, I am sure.

Addendum:

As was pointed out in the LEO replies, the woman was exonerated of any and all charges and was also apparently financially reimbursed for the incident. Was this all necessary? It looks like the RPD "paid her off" to keep her from suing the city for wrongful arrest and probably a host of other infractions on her rights as a citizen. I don't completely condone what she did nor how the officers reacted to her actions. It was obvious that both parties suspected that this confrontation would lead to something more important so both sides maintained their "cool" as best they could. The whole incident was uncalled for the the only person who really benefited from the encounter was the guy who was originally pulled over to begin with!

Last edited by Framerguy; 06-30-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Police State creeping in....shhhh, go back to sleep.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

There isnt anyway i would have took a settlement from them unless it was around a million. I would of showed the video to every news crew and sued the crap out of them.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Sailfish

TROUBLE IS MOST NEWS OUTLETS NOW DAYS DONT CARE

as most of the sheep

buy sell trade
http://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com
chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksnappertrapper View Post
There isnt anyway i would have took a settlement from them unless it was around a million. I would of showed the video to every news crew and sued the crap out of them.

You would never get a million dollars for this as a settlement or a lawsuit. Good luck with that.
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
Grouper

i dont see the problem with video tapeing the police doing their jobs as long as you are not in their way or distracting them from performing safely (keeping your mouth shut while they work and just film) they film us driveing rather doing wrong or not, they have blue lights tv shows filming us doing wrong or attempting to prove ect. so whats good for the goose should be good for... you get the idea.

and i talked to my uncle ron who lives in rochester and he said that this whole deal has and was blown way out and should have been put out before the fire broke loose
mrwigglezdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in