CCW Open Carry - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
CCC
Grand Slam

Default CCW Open Carry

Greg Evers is proposing to allow open carry in Florida, and I was wondering what your oppinion may be. Let me state that I have weapons, and am all for conceal carry, but I can see some down sides to open carry, oppinions ????????
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Grouper

I have to admit I see some down sides but still have to say that I like the idea. Give me just another reason to talk to someone. Oh wow man is the new ********* can I hold it. Hows it shoot? ( All waiting in line at Walmart lmao )
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
CCC
Grand Slam

Glad to see someone else agree with the possible downsides. I personally wouldn't mind carrying a sawed off shotgun open carry, but if I am honest with myself might not be a good idea.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ght=open+carry
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Grouper

I am for it for one simple reason. I have my concealed carry permit and I am armed 95% of the time when I leave the house. I do my very best to keep my weapon concealed and have had no problems to date. However I always worry that my weapon will print or otherwise be exposed if I sit in the wrong seat at a restraunt or simply reach for something on the top shelf at Walmart. If this law was passed I would be fine if someone caught a glimpse. And the ability to open carry at times would be a good option. I don't believe in the senario that opponents have proposed, saying that Florida will resemble the Wild West movies where everyone was armed and the smallest disputes were settled in the street at noon. There are laws in place pertaining to concealed carry that would carry over to open carry. Especially the law preventing carry in an establishment whose primary purpose is to serve alcohol. There would defiantly be a transition period for people to get used to seeing armed citizens at McDonalds, but then again how many times have you stood in line behind someone carrying a cocked and locked 45 and didn't know it.
GENTLE WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

I for 1, am all for it. Really peeze me off when I here people say "oh, I don't want the old western days where we'll have shoot-outs on the street everyday", or words to that effect. Well, when was the last time you read or seen on the news, that there was this street shoot-out from any state? Drive-by shootings, robberies or self defense shootings isn't the same as a "shoot-out". That's more like the Hatfields and McCoys.
Anyway, as it stands today, if you have a CWP, you have your jacket on, (unbuttoned/zipped), your weapon is worn on your waist. Then say that you reach for your wallet, and your jacket opens, revealing your weapon. If someone see's it, and reports it, you'd be in hot water, with the possibility of being charged for "openly carrying a firearm", and you not only losing your gun rights, but you'll have a felony arrest record.
Also, the proposed bill, would only allow "licensed" (CW Permitees), to carry.
I saw on the news last night a fast food resturant being robbed by 2 thugs. The employee/victim, got his pistol, shot both thugs, killing one. The other, Hospitalized.
Good Job...
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
healthinspector
Sailfish

im for it, but certain requirements like age and mental stability lol
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
CCC
Grand Slam

Ok playing devils advocate here, let's say thug armed with knife walks into gas station to rob it, concealed carry old man is getting coffee, his weapon is CONCEALED, knife guy pulls knife and tries to rob cash register attendant, concealed carry old guy slips UNSEEN gun from under shirt and caps bad guy., game over. Now lets assume same scenario but old guy now has his weapon on his belt in the open, bad guy walks in sees old guy carrying weapon, realizes he can EASILY over power the guy and have a gun to rob store with instead of knife, old guy gets a beat down, gun is taken from him, place gets robbed anyway, and they both might get shot with old guys gun. Same goes with women carrying open carry, thugs might think easy way to get a free gun is to slip up over power and take the gun.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Trigger

I agree. I'll keep mine hidden.
wetley49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

I also have my carry permit, and uhh I dont really think I'd open carry at all..For what reason? Why do you want to draw attention to yourself, for you to be a quick target if something was to happen..?Its a nice law to have if something happens and your gun is exposed when your concealed carry'ing..
wld1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in