Which card is the best? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Which card is the best?

I know that any credit card is really not that good but ......

What card do you have and what is your main purpose of using it? I've finally got my house refi'd and looking to handle the last of my credit cards. I owe 12k on all of them, one being my old business card that is REALLY ripping me a new asshole.

Hows this for the government is gonna do something about the big bad credit card companies. When Advanta owned it I paid 7.9% intrest. The government bailed them out and now I pay 17.99% and haven't missed a payment on any of my bills in 14 years. (Hence the 820 credit score.) When I pay the bill I have to go to a government website.

Anyways, looking at getting a new card and transfer all the balances over to the new card and pay 0% intrest for a year. Should have everything paid off in 8 months and will be debt free except for the house.

Was wondering why did you take the card that you have now? Was it for the miles, lowest intrest rate, or any of the other beenies that they throw out there.

Thinking also about just getting the NFCUs Flagship card. Does any NFCU memebers on here have that one and does it do anything for you that other cards don't?

Right now I go though about $1,000 the two weeks I'm home and send a payment of $2,000 to the credit cards when I leave. $200 of that extra thousand is basically on intrest.... screw that.

I'm leaning to two cards right now, not for sure which I will pick but was just wondering HOW DO YOU MAKE THE BEST OUT OF YOUR CREDIT CARD AND HOW DO YOU MAKE IT WORK THE BEST FOR YOU?

I know one member, will not say his name, but he pays EVERYTHING on his credit card then pays it off at the end of the month. His wife has the miles to take a trip to Hawaii at the end of the year. Thats making your card work for you I would say.

Last edited by Deeplines; 01-10-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Deeplines is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Sailfish

american express business platinum. annual fee but LOTS of points. esp online purchases.
?MEGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Murf, Hands down Visa through Navy Federal get the Flagship rewards it cost $40 a year but has so many benifits. If you can pay it off every month the rewards are great and worth the $40. I pay everything with that card I mean every bill and small things. last year I cashed in my points I think 40000 points and got $600 Cash. Plus airline tickets are really a deal also with points. Check it out
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
White Marlin

This is fishing forum, I will throw out Probass Visa, points go toward Probass purchases. Depends on what you want to do with the points.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Murf, Hands down Visa through Navy Federal get the Flagship rewards it cost $40 a year but has so many benifits. If you can pay it off every month the rewards are great and worth the $40. I pay everything with that card I mean every bill and small things. last year I cashed in my points I think 40000 points and got $600 Cash. Plus airline tickets are really a deal also with points. Check it out
Yea, I was looking at that. One reason they are one of the cards I'm considering. There balance transfer is 2.9% and would never use it until that is paid off though and I don't think I get any points for balance transfers. Noticed the annual fee also.

Have three cards now. One is 9.9%, 12.99% and 17.99%. I use the 9.9% now for everything but no points or nothing. Guess I need to call them and see if I can get it down to 7.9%.

I lost the 12.99% one and never got a replacement. I charge my sirius radio payment to keep it active which is auto from when I got the sirius radio years ago. It only has 2k on it now I'm paying off.

If I could sell my Harley for 10K I would just pay them off. I'm not coming off the 10K for the bike though and times are a little tough for folks to be shelling out money for a bike.

Last edited by Deeplines; 01-10-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Grouper

there are several good websites when you can shop for a credit card. Google best credit cards and there is one site that allows you to enter your credit score and a top ten list will come up. As you pay off the cards you'll notice that credit score go down. Not much you'll probably be back in the mid to upper 700's... still excellent though. Anything above 740 is considered top tear.
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Murph, go talk with NFCU, and while you're there ask them about going to bi weekly mortgage payments. Saving me over $100k on the loan.

Last edited by lastcast; 01-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
Murph, go talk with NFCU, and while you're there ask them about going to bi monthly mortgage payments. Saving me over $100k on the loan.
YES SIR, was gonna do that when I refi'd but with my situation working off shore, having to get a power of attorney for when I wasn't here I tried to make it simple and get it done fast as possible. It still took 4 months.

They did just send me something in the mail about that and gonna hook that up this time in.

Which way did you go on the BI payments? The thing they sent me it even had BI WEEKLY on it. Will BI weekly save more? I haven't looked into all the savings depending on which one you pick. I know you save a lot though.

With it looking like you may not be able to deduct you intrest from you mortage on your taxes soon I need to start working on paying this puppy off also.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Murph, check you're PM's. Freakin thing timed out on me twice!!!! Slow typer!
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in