Car accident question, looking for advice. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By K-Bill
  • 1 Post By jaster

Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Car accident question, looking for advice.

Earlier this evening my wife was involved in an accident in my truck. It was a three vehicle crash at the intersection of W Detroit and 29 in the construction zone. My wife was sitting at the red light on Detroit ave pointing to the east, a car on 29 northbound was making a left turn onto Detroit and they stated they had a green light. A car stopped at the light southbound on 29 got a green light and proceeded to go straight while the other car was still going through the intersection. They met in the middle, occupied the same place for a second and the car that was attempting the turn ricocheted into the front of my truck still waiting patiently at the red light.

Both the other cars said they had green lights which is hard to believe, but after watching the intersection the turn lane did have a green light for about three seconds after the other light turned green every single time for the hour I was sitting waiting for the highway patrolman to finish up. The highway patrolman made the same observation.

The highway patrolman did not find anyone at fault, listed the turning car as vehicle 1, straight car vehicle 2, and my truck as vehicle 3. He called for the people from the county who do the lights to come check them out and will put the findings in his report.

Vehicle 1 is a 2000 hyundai that has an insurance company that doesnt have after hours claims and I am not even sure it is valid insurance. Vehicle 2 has geico but did not hit us. My truck is just my kayak hauler and only has liability (progressive, does have uninsured on it) The truck doesn't look to bad from a quick look in the rain in the fading light but I didnt get a good look at it all. It needs a bumper cover, core support, engine rocked back and a bolt poked a hole in the firewall (so a very solid hit) and some other random stuff. Airbag light on but did not deploy.

Any suggestions on what I should do? As of now it looks like the report will show the lights at fault and neither of the other two drivers. If the lights some how check out then vehicle 1 will be listed at fault according to the officer.

Pictured is a paint diagram of the accident and the part of the car that met the front of my Tundra. In the paint diagram, we are the white blob waiting patiently at the red light where the other car bounced into my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Car accident question, looking for advice.-screenshot-19-jpg   Car accident question, looking for advice.-20190509_190235-jpg  

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 05-10-2019 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Put which vehicle is us in the paint picture.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #2
White Marlin

Somebody is always at fault for a collision. The claims reps should take into account who had control of the intersection. Just because you have a green light doesn’t mean you run into someone who is already in your path of travel. Vehicle 1 is usually the at-fault party even if no citations are issued. I wish you luck on this. Hope they do the right thing.
60hertz likes this.
K-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 AM   #3
Sailfish

Even if the LEOís donít/canít establish fault, the insurance companies usually do. Sometimes itís broken down into percentages of fault I believe.
bukshot01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukshot01 View Post
Even if the LEOís donít/canít establish fault, the insurance companies usually do. Sometimes itís broken down into percentages of fault I believe.

Hopefully, my wife was just sitting at the red light and the accident occurred in the intersection and vehicle 1 ricocheted into our truck so it shouldn't be any percentage of her fault.

It would be nice if their insurance handles it, if not I guess I will be doing a d60/10.5 sterling swap into the tundra and just do an offroad build with it.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Hope your wife is ok? I am not sure how the others insurance will handle it? I have started putting full coverage on everything, its too cheap not to
Yellow River Cat likes this.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Yeah, your insurance company will handle it... I believe the way they place the vehicles is 1 is at fault.... so if your ole lady is 3, you should be good...

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Sailfish

Just out of curiosity, what year is your truck? I'm making alot of assumptions here, but if the truck is older (just an assumption since its just a kayak hauler and paid for) it could possibly be a total loss. In my 17 years in the collision business I have only repaired 1 firewall. That can add up real quick.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
Just out of curiosity, what year is your truck? I'm making alot of assumptions here, but if the truck is older (just an assumption since its just a kayak hauler and paid for) it could possibly be a total loss. In my 17 years in the collision business I have only repaired 1 firewall. That can add up real quick.

It is an 06 Tundra quad cab 4x4 limited, leather heated seats, power sunroof, power rear glass, all that jazz. It has 104k on it
Old 05-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Hope your wife is ok? I am not sure how the others insurance will handle it? I have started putting full coverage on everything, its too cheap not to

She is a bit freaked out and a bit sore, other than that she is fine.

I have full coverage on all my collector cars and my wife and sons car, I probably should have had it on the truck. Difference was only about 15 a month, I am still kicking myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in