Building a new Home.....questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Nat
Grouper

Default Building a new Home.....questions

I know there aren't many homebuilders left standing after the boom and bust in the housing market, and I'm about to start on my 5th personal house,,,,that I have built acting as my own contractor.
This one is going to be a more of a mancave, fish camp type design, very simple and very rustic, no fancy BS.

My very best fishing tackle will be on display in the living room and my gun safe will also be in the living room. it's gonna be one hell of mancave.

Going to build rather than buy because I have a certain rustic style that I like and most of the dirt cheap repo's over this way are cookie cutter brick ranches on small lots.

So, here's my question for any builders or sub contractors

With so many contractors and sub-contractors gone out of business, has the cost of building come down or has it remained about the same?

anyone want to guess at the price per sq ft to build nowadays?

I'm about to get started on the blueprints and probably won't start the house for another 6 months.
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default Building

Posted wrong - PM sent
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Grouper

Last I set down with a builder and went over what he wanted of me was around $54.00 a square foot on a generic spec house. Too many houses available for much new construction. In the long run I have found it much cheaper to buy right and modify to suit your needs than build new. With the permit BS and inspections and lead times and all the other things that are involved costs can start going up pretty fast. Don't forget with the increase in fuel cost the price of everything is reflected in the end cost. Take a walk through Lowes or any of them and the shelves are bare, everything that used to be commonly available is now special order.

Just my .02 worth.

http://pensacolasharkfishing.com
Hired Hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Nat
Grouper

That's why I was asking

a bunch of lumber yards around here have closed....concrete plants are shutdown etc

just when you think the cost might go down....it may have gone up !
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Trigger

Have you thought about a steel building frame for a house?
Too Tall 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Nat
Grouper

have not considered steel, however they are coming up with pretty cool ICF products that make a heck of a strong house......

But, I think I'll just go stick built wood frame and cypress 1" x 12" board and batten,over 3/8 plywood sheathing then icynene insulation, it makes a tight and quiet house.........

I'm also planning a real masonery chimney, with a real wood stove

The idea is small square footage, low taxes, low utilitiy bills, no wind policy, no cable TV........all's I need is a whisky still and a pet raccoon...so it's gonna be more like a cabin than a house

I need to really look into the exterior doors, on the lat house I went with foam filled fiberglass....and the wood frame inside the skin rotted fr5om the inside out.....I think the condensation built up in the foam and kept the wood wet
made in mexico junk doors that cost big $
Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Nat....I know a guy...Randy Jernigan that has his home and business under one roof. It is a Steel building. It's basically divided in half. You go thru one personal door and you are in a different world.

He has done a really nice job with it. Landscaping and porches has made it not look so much like a generic steel building.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in