Brown Widow ID? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Default Brown Widow ID?

Found this bad boy in my boat tonight. I'm not a big killer when it comes to things like snakes and spiders, but my daughter spends a lot of time on the boat. So it is dead now. Concur that it is a brown widow? Google pics looked like it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Brown Widow ID?-photo-jpg  
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
White Marlin

Red means run son !

Rick
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Fabricator
Grouper

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/e...usspiders.html

The brown widow is highly variable in color. It may be almost white to almost black. Typically, it is a light to medium brown, with an orange hourglass marking on the underside of the abdomen. The leg segments are banded, with one half of each segment lighter in color than the other half. The back often has a row of white spots (rarely orange or light blue), and there are a few white stripes on each side. Dark individuals lack these markings and are difficult to distinguish from black widows. If an eggsac is present, this is the best identifying characteristic. Brown widow eggsacs are tan, spherical, and have many small tufts of silk sticking out from them. They resemble a 'sandspur.' The other widows make white, smooth eggsacs that tend to be pear-shaped. The brown widow is an extremely timid spider which has rarely been reported to bite. However, it is an introduced species and is the most human-adapted of the species occurring in Florida. Its webs may occur anywhere there is sufficient space to make one. It may be extremely abundant on houses and other man-made structures (e.g., barns, fences, guard rails, bridges). It reproduces frequently and disperses rapidly, making it nearly impossible to control.

(So, from this description that I found at the website I listed; I too would have to say that this must be a Brown Widow._
Starlifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Wirelessly posted (Matt)

Cool. Thanks. I thanked it for killing the cockroach then it went squish.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Sailfish

That's what it is. Usually not a big spider like a black widow can be. A nasty bite also and know of 2 folks that have been bitten. One bitten on the toe after slipping on a pair of old tennis shoes left outside. Another bitten on finger from an old pair of gloves left outside for yard work. They seem to like dark places.
In the fall months and have firewood stored outdoors, keep a keen eye out when you bring in firewood. Another favorite hiding place for both black and brown widows.
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Grand Slam

A brown recluse looks a lot like that doesn't it ? We had a secretary who's husband got bit by one. Dang, it was not pretty. The flesh pretty much just rotted.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Grouper

here comes another summer. we are infested with them. i would say i kill 50 a year. maybe 10 are big fat black widows. the rest are brown widows.
gcrbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Sailfish

The Brown Recluse is another spider that has adapted well in the Panhandle. They might of always been here, but never were taught as a Child how to identify them.
I understand the benefits Spiders play as insect control. But unless its a " Grand Daddy Long Legs", or the huge yellow and brown Banana Spider, I kill them if found in or close to my shack.

The Daddy longlegs is not a poisonous spider that can't bite you because its mouth is too small. It is not even a spider, can't spin a web, and has no fangs or poison. If you find one in a web, its being caught or eaten by a true spider. So much for an old wives tale. Google it for more info.

I can tell you, the smalle bright yellow spider that looks like a miniature crab, will bite the living Hell out of you! You will not die or get sick, but you will know he has been there!!!
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Grouper

Has anyone heard if a black recluse or a brown widow. My friend pointed on out but im not sure if it was just a little discolored or if it was a cross-breed
chicon monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in