Battery powered weedeater advice needed - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Battery powered weedeater advice needed

Iím done with gas weedeaters. Been looking at the battery operated weedeater is. There sure is a big selection. Anybody have any experience or advice. Ultimately I will also get the battery powered blower.

Thanks
BT
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Grand Slam

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-...Kit/1000503289

I ordered this one about 10 minutes ago. It has good reviews. I can tell you more in a couple weeks.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

Last edited by jlw1972; 06-16-2019 at 07:44 PM.
jlw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Sailfish

I have the 60volt and very satisfied. Don’t go cheap on the line. I use the twisted line. I can do front and back on one charge. I also have kobalt 40 volt which works well but battery life not do good.
jlw1972 likes this.
specktackler57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
Grouper

I bought the Ryobi 40 volt with the interchangeable head. I can whack my acre lot including the 100ft on the lake of very tall grass on one 4amp hour battery. Ryobi makes plenty of attachments for the 40 volt battery. Even a chain saw.
MaxP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Praedator
Grand Slam

naclh2odave just went all electric with 80 volt systems for lawn mower and all! I called him a woman but he said it's the $*&t and beats gas hands down!

He has a small yard now though. But I guess times are changing with battery technology getting better and better!
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

I just went all Milwaukee. Got the interchangeable shaft. So far I've done my ward twice on a single charge. Battery life looks like I can get 1 more before charging. Come by this week in the evening and I will let you weedeat my yard to try it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
DLo likes this.
lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

Flounderpounder likes this.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #8
Grouper

I've had the first gen Milwaukee m18 fuel trimmer and leaf blower for a few years without issue. I have a nice echo pas system with string trimmer and edger that I only use for edger now. No vibrations, quiet and I've beat the snot out of it, like everything else Milwaukee I have.

If it was the split shaft interchangeable head gen 2, I would have gotten rid of the echo already. Just have a hard time buying the gen 2 when I have a gen 1 and the echo pas.

Milwaukee bump head sucks to load sometimes compared to the quick feed echo bump head, but otherwise its solid. It's not bad compared to a lot, but the echo heads will spoil you. They may have changed this in gen 2, but I haven't looked.

I typically run it on a m18 high demand 9.0 and never run out of juice, but have trimmed on a m18 xc 5.0 for 25-30min straight without issues also. I've trimmed fairly thick briar patches and vines and never had an issue with power. Instant torque and quick to full rpm is nice vs 2 stroke takes a couple seconds to get to full rpm. Electric will never rev as high as a good tuned professional grade 2 stroke, but honestly it doesn't need to since it doesnt bog as easily. I wouldn't use it for heavy brush cutting or field trimming, but that is more of the job for a bike handle trimmer anyways.

Granted I have like 50 other Milwaukee m18 tools and probably 30 batteries, so that is a deciding factor for me. I never really have an issue with needing to charge a battery, so just grab it and go. Not sure I would have strayed from the echo as easily if I wasnt as deeply invested in Milwaukee power tools. If you are due for a power tool upgrade, it would be a good choice.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Thanks for all of the replies. They sure have enlighten me on this type of product. I’m looking forward to owning these things and not dislocating my shoulder starting the gas powered tools by pulling that string 100 times
Old 06-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. They sure have enlighten me on this type of product. I’m looking forward to owning these things and not dislocating my shoulder starting the gas powered tools by pulling that string 100 times
For what it's worth, my echo is a 1 or 2 pull to start everytime for last few years. Granted I tuned it with a tach after a few tanks of break in.

But the electric is a lot easier to just drop in a battery and get to it. Quieter and lighter.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in