Auto Mechanic needed - Engine rebuild, swap or Resto Mod - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Auto Mechanic needed - Engine rebuild, swap or Resto Mod

I have a 1950 Willy's Overland Jeepster that has been in my family since new (the bill of sale shows that my grandfather's monthly payment was $11). My mom went to her first day of school in it, it was later her car in high school, my parents drove away from their wedding in it, and I was able to drive it to high school a few times many years later. Unfortunately, it has sat up in my garage for too many years and the engine and brakes are seized. It has too much sentimental value to let go or let it rot away.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good mechanic to help with the project. I'm leaning toward doing a restomod and installing at least a new engine, transmission, axles, and brakes. The frame is solid, but I would consider putting it on an S10 frame if that is easier than trying to fit a new drivetrain on the existing frame. If I go this route, I would probably lower it a couple of inches and make it into a hot rod.

If this is too complicated or expensive, I would also consider rebuilding the existing engine and brakes and getting it running again.

My number one requirement is competency and number two is reasonableness. I can help locate parts as needed. It will eventually need a new paint job so it would be a bonus, but not essential, if the person also did painting and very minor body work.

Time is not critical and this could be a side project for the mechanic as long as it gets done. I'm in Mobile, but I'm willing to have it transported to the Pensacola area.

All recommendations are welcome. Thanks!
Jarrod
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Sailfish

This sounds like alot of fun. I'd love to help but I'm pretty busy lately, and I'm just a shade tree mechanic. I've rebuilt engines and a tranny before, but you probably want somebody for knowledgeable than me. That's alot of modding.

But keep it posted, Itd be cool just to hang out and lend a hand while shooting the breeze some time.

Good luck to you.
holicori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in