Auto air conditioning question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Auto air conditioning question

I have a Mercury van and the air conditioner is the Nippondenso rotary type with the lines connected to the backside.

Of course it decided to quit last week. And the repair shop says it will take $900+ to fix it. They claim it needs a new compressor, dryer, etc. due to a vacuum leak at the back of the compressor, 1"wc per 20 minutes.

My question is if there is a leak there, would it not be evident via an oily residue on the hose connections at the compressor?

There is oily residue on the hose just under the hood (which is well above the compressor) and the fender well. But the compressor itself is totally bone dry all over.

I am thinkin the repair shop is takin me for a ride. But maybe not.

Does anyone know if there can be a vacuum or pressure leak at the compressor without oily evidence?

Get legal or get out.

Heavily fine or put in jail the ones hiring illegals.
Soon there would be way less illegals.

How do you know when Trump is doing something right????

When the D.C. status quo elite stuck in the mud out-of-touch pansies are crying foul at everything Trump is doing.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Auto air conditioning question

yes there can be a leak like you described, especially on the high side line. if they are correct, the leak wouldn't appear until higher pressures and vents away from the compressor and not on it.
brnbser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

How old is the van, and how long has the unit not been working. Just because you have a leak doesn't mean you need new units. It could be a leaking seal/"O" ring, repair leak, vacuum down and check for leakand refill.

First thing I'd do is pull a vacuum and see how fast you loose vacuum (you saying you loose 1" every 20 minutes?). Pull vacuum, addR134a (and you can add dye)and find leak. Repair leak, vacuum, and refill R134a. Worse case scenario is the extra R134a and time. Might save you over $800.00. If you feel it is in fact leaking behind the compressor, start there first by installing new "O" rings.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

It is a 1995 with 250k on it thus most likely not worth but $1500. Like I said, there is no evidence of any fluid leak on the compressor.

But Scott says there can be a leak without residue with the right condition?

It has always worked fine until last Friday. The fat insulated hose up high in the engine compartment (van is not here so I can't remeber what component it is connected to) has had oily residue on the metal portion of it for about three years or more. I presumed there has been a micro leak for some time but figured it final leaked down below the operating threshold.

Now, even tho I have it tuned to full tilt cold setting, the compressor clutch cycles on and off every ten seconds. I am thinking there is a system pressure switch that is turning the compressor off due to not enough pressure. Then it turns on and tries to pump for ten seconds again and again.

Get legal or get out.

When the D.C. status quo elite stuck in the mud out-of-touch pansies are crying foul at everything Trump is doing.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
johnsonbeachbum (7/16/2008)It is a 1995 with 250k on it thus most likely not worth but $1500. Like I said, there is no evidence of any fluid leak on the compressor.

But Scott says there can be a leak without residue with the right condition?

It has always worked fine until last Friday. The fat insulated hose up high in the engine compartment (van is not here so I can't remeber what component it is connected to) has had oily residue on the metal portion of it for about three years or more. I presumed there has been a micro leak for some time but figured it final leaked down below the operating threshold.

Now, even tho I have it tuned to full tilt cold setting, the compressor clutch cycles on and off every ten seconds. I am thinking there is a system pressure switch that is turning the compressor off due to not enough pressure. Then it turns on and tries to pump for ten seconds again and again.
But Scott says there can be a leak without residue with the right condition? This I will agree with 100%. But since the unit worked fine till Friday, I suspect that you have a leak. Do you have ANY cooling at all during cycles? Now you answered a question I was about to ask and that is of the compressor cycling. Now you can go get a single can kit, put the R134a in and see if it will cool. If it will all you need to do is find the leak, repair, vacuum, and refill using all the same components. I have done many as I just described. Usually just a "O" ring leak.

Large line is theLOW side, small line HIGH side. LOW side will get cold while cooling. Low line goes from compressor to the dryer to the evaporator.

The routing will be...compressor...high pressure line (small diameter)..condensor..high pressure line...expansion orface..low pressure line (large diameter)..dryer/accumulator..evaporator..low pressure line..compressor

Low pressure switch is USUALLY mounted on the receiver/dryer/accumulator (all three all the same thing) and usually mounted close to either the evaporator (inside unit) or the condenser (Unit in front of radiator) Should look like an aluminum/steel canister with insulation around it (in most cases).

Like Scott says below...no way I'd invest $900.00 into it. I don't really think you have to.

Here is a test, to test the compressor...find the low pressure switch. Remove the plug from the switch. With the engine running, take a paper clip or the sort and jump the two contacts in the plug. The compressor should run and listen for compressor noise, and you SHOULD maybe have SOME cooling of sorts.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
White Marlin

being an older high mileage vehicle, if it was mine and appeared to be assmall of a leak as you say, I would give it a full chargeof 134 with maybe one of the multi tune/diagnose/seal cans and see how long it takes to leak down if at all. I'm not a fan of those cans of 134 with sealer/dye/conditioner but with a 13 yr old car that's only worth 1500 or so, 900 for a compressor just wouldn't be happening.

it's easy to do yourself and I can give you a hand with it during lunch one day next week, I leave out tomorrow and won't be back until Monday. Your still over at NATTC right?
brnbser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Yep and still working with that zanny admin assist. too!

The shop put in 3 lbs of 134a (rear air). Will see how long that lasts. Hopefully the micro leak is no worse than it was three years ago and will last maybe as long. Probaly not so lucky tho, we will see.

Get legal or get out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in