Auburn Info requested - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Auburn Info requested

I know some of you out there are Auburn grads. I have learned to appreciate opinions from this group, so how about any thoughts, experiences advice?

One of my granddaughters, Samantha, has made the national gymnastics team, plus she is a straight A student. She is only 16 and a junior in a Southern California High School, but is being solicted by several universities. She knows gymnastics is not a life long pursuit, so intends to be a teacher.

I understand Auburn is in the top ten gymnastics schools as well as tops scholastically. I graduated from Cal State University, Fullerton about two miles from her home and my daughter, her mother and I, encouraged her to go there,but she wants to go away for college.

We are looking for more than the Auburn website and the recruiters offer.

Grandpa Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Auburn Info requested

Auburn's gymnastics has gotten better over the last few years but Georgia is still tops in that regards with Florida, LSUand Alabama behind them. Auburn has a really nice facility that is only five or six years old. The attendance for gym meets at AU is top five in the country. Reason I know this is my Mom lives up there and goes to alot of the meets and she said they are really fun so it sounds like they are coming along.

As far as the school, like anything it just depends on the person. AU is a very pretty campus with good academics. It's a small town. Without theUniversity, there is nothing.Florida has the Gator Nation, Alabama has the Bama Nation, Auburn has the Auburn Family. Its just a place you set foot on, fall in love with and it won't go away. I didn't get my degree from there but I enjoyed my time there. It's a tough school. As a freshman, alot of classes are HUGE like at any major university. Atlanta isn't too far up the road so will be easy to fly in and out from CA and also it's nice to head up to ATL for concerts/shopping/big city attractions. Best thing to do is go visit for a weekend. A football weekend if you can. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, we've had season tickets for 23 years so I've been going up there since I was a child.
FizzyLifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via ICQ to bamasam Send a message via AIM to bamasam Send a message via Yahoo to bamasam

Tom I really dont know much about the gymnastics at Auburn but t is a nice school with country charm. My brother got his Engineering Degree from there and his daughter is getting her teaching degree.

My niece graduated from Palmdale high near Fullerton last year.
bamasam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
White Marlin

Jayer ,

Your still a child !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Just kidding.

Scott

18' Carolina Skiff
25.5 Grady White Sailfish W/ Twin 200 ETEC
parrothead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Grouper

[/quote]Jayer ,Your still a child !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Just kidding. Scott[/quote]

But I'm wise beyond my years youold fart!

oke
FizzyLifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

flat head - I did graduate from AU and not all that long ago (albiet in Building Science and nto Education). The other posters are correct, Auburn is a family. One of the great things about AU is that its a small town that is very clean,safe,and friendly.

As much as I love AU and wouldlike to see your granddaughter go there, I think it would be smart to consider the degree she wants. I think an AU Education degree is as good as any, but outside of the southeast, AU Education is not all that well recognized for its scholastic acheivement and potential employers may see her graduating from a SEC school as middle of the road (though I assure you, it isnt). Whether we like it or not, my experience has been that the rest of the country sees AL & MS as backwoods uneducated hicks.

If she's going to want to move out of the southeast after college, she might be better suited to get a degree from a university that is well recognized inthat region. Then again, a scholarship is alotof incentive given what it costs to put a child through college and AU does have a great gymnastic squad (thats what i'm told, I dont think I have ever been to a gymnastics meet).Just my $0.02

WAR EAGLE!!!
poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #7
Sailfish

Thanks for all of your sincere responses.

Somehow, it seems granddaughters can be more important than daughters.

Naturally, I want her to get a good education and be successful in her chosen career, but getting there can be a lot of fun. We will continue investigating, but I am liking what I hear about Auburn.

Thanks,

Grandpa Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in