Assault weapon ban amendment has collected enough petitions... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree12Likes

Old 06-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Default Assault weapon ban amendment has collected enough petitions...

... for Florida constitutional review, group says.

And for those of you who do really bad taking tests, the key word here is, review.

Just days short of the three-year anniversary of the mass shooting at the gay nightclub Pulse, the gun reform group Ban Assault Weapons NOW! announced Monday it had collected enough petitions to trigger a constitutional review for an amendment to ban assault weapons.

The announcement was made at the Orange County Supervisor of Elections office. At the press conference, Pulse survivors, elected officials and community leaders gathered to declare they had collected more than 103,000 petitions. In a news release, the group says that means they're on track to meet the required threshold to place the citizens initiative on the 2020 ballot, banning the sale of sale assault weapons statewide.

"Hundreds of thousands of Floridians across the state are getting behind this effort to place a ban on the ballot, because they know that this isn't a partisan issue Ė this is an issue of public safety," says Ban Assault Weapons NOW! founder Gail Schwartz, the aunt of Parkland victim Alex Schachter, in the release. "We are confident the amendment will make it onto the ballot and be signed into law in 2020, because Floridians are tired of politicians offering nothing but thoughts and prayers, as families like my own are left to mourn from the latest mass shooting due to a military-grade weapon."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...iew-group-says
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaka View Post

The announcement was made at the Orange County Supervisor of Elections office. At the press conference, Pulse survivors, elected officials and community leaders gathered to declare they had collected more than 103,000 petitions.
Ummmm, they are a few short!!!!

In Florida you need a certain number that is compared to the last presidential elections and how many voted. That number is the following for 2020!

In order to get a proposed amendment by initiative on the 2020 General Election ballot, a petition must be signed by 766,200 voters and the signatures must come from at least 14 of Floridaís 27 congressional districts.
Telum Pisces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Bad test taker. it had collected enough petitions to trigger a constitutional review
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
Bad test taker. it had collected enough petitions to trigger a constitutional review
It's a play on headlines and words!

It goes to the Supreme Court to see if the way they worded the petition in a way that meets legal scrutiny. A lot of petitions get to this point and never make headlines! You can come up with any kind of crazy thing for this type of review. There's always enough crazy people that will sign anything!

This article at least gives the details and hurdles in the way to actually make it on the ballot!

I honestly think we should make it a lot harder to amend our constitution than what's in place!
Telum Pisces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

FAKE NEWS just like when they said Trump was losing in the polls, trying to trigger the "Follower" instinct in people.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

Come and take em.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Kamac and FL Aggie like this.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B. View Post
Come and take em.

The buy back in New Zealand isn't going so good either.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B. View Post
Come and take em.

Come and take what? We went deep sea a few weeks ago and screamed like this

Mark was with us, I think he got the video??? Then threw all our pew pews overboard to make a reef so we can catch our 2 snappers this week!!!!!!!!!!!
kingfish501 and bowdiddly like this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

I expected the usual never gonna happen comments.
Didn't think felons voting was a good idea? Look what happened.
Didn't expect "Who needs it" bumpstocks to be banned?
Have you read the proposed amendment?

"The people of Florida declare that a well-regulated militia is necessary for the security of the State and further designate the National Guard of the State of Florida and organized police forces as its militia. The Militia, while on active duty, while training or in their training facilities shall possess all types of weaponry and arms required to defend the State. The weapons shall include, but not limited to fully automatic weapons, assault weapons, large magazine weapons holding more than seven rounds of ammunition and magazines with capacity over seven rounds. No other person entering or residing in the State shall possess any weapon or firearm that functions like or has the capacity of a military style weapon. Military style weapon means any gun with a magazine capacity of more than seven rounds of ammunition or any weapon capable of firing in fully automatic mode, any weapon capable of being modified in any manner to fire in a fully automatic mode or any weapon classified as a sniper rifle. Any person other than the well-regulated militia who possesses such a gun or weapon, shall within one year of the enactment of this section surrender that gun or weapon to the local police or militia at which time that gun or weapon shall be destroyed. Possessing such a gun or weapon thereafter shall be a felony with punishment by up to one year in prison.

Further, to protect the population of the state no person shall possess a firearm of any kind if: 1) they have been convicted of a felony; 2) convicted of three or more misdemeanors; 3) had their drivers license suspended or revoked for driving under the influence, careless or reckless driving, or excessive speeding; 4) has been the subject of two or more domestic abuse emergency calls or investigations; 5) they are a person whose mental condition has been affirmed as temporarily or permanently psychologically disturbed by a person with a medical degree; 6) or if they are a person who has made any substantiated threat of violence against another person.

The provisions of this section are self-implementing and are immediately in effect upon adoption.[2]"

The highlighted areas, that sound like 10-22s, double stacked handguns, your scoped in hunting rifle?
Yes they got till Feb 1 2020 to generate the rest of the signatures but do none of you remember ballots mysteriously showing up for recounts and were accepted?

Last edited by kanaka; 06-11-2019 at 08:24 AM.
kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Sailfish

You might should go ahead and give me all your guns that fits the above categories..I'll keep them safe over here in Bama.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in