Anyone Need a Chef - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to amberj
Default Anyone Need a Chef

I am in need of a new job. Is anyone know of or know someone that might need any kitchen help. I am a certified executive chef with the ACF, i have 16 years of experience in kitchens. I am from the local area. I am trained in all types of cooking, also I have been trainined in restaurant management, kitchen management, i know how to cost out menu items, write menus, cost out labor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can message me on here or you can e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks!!!
amberj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Anyone Need a Chef

I know of a few projects in Orange Beach...but they are not until Mid Mrch...I know how you feel Amberj sometimes I wonder why I ever entered this industry! Will get some numbers and send you a pm
badazzchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Sailfish

will someone please explain that to my son pokerfisher.... he wants to get into that industry......

even badazzchef has told him he's crazy lol
Old 01-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Sailfish

send me your sons e-mail or contact info and i will give him all the advise in the world. Ask him how he likes his weekends, holidays, nights, working in 100plus temperatures during the middle of the summer in a jacket polyester pants and a hat sweating more than you drink in water every day, having no hair on your arms or hands from all the heat, then only having half the eye lashes, and eye brows, and being covered with battle scars from greese, cheese, oil, fire, steam, and my personal favorites which are napalm, sugar, and roux. Working long long long hours when all your freinds are chasing ass, and playing in bars and clubs and on the beach and most of all when they are all fishing and hunting. Also not being able to meet any other chicks for the most part then the ones he works with because he cant ever go out and do anything, be to damn tired to do anything when he is off work. If he is willing to accept all that let him try it out. You do this buisness because its in your blood and you love it, which means you really love to just hate it. I love it so much and have been doing it so long i dont know anything else its completely in my blood. When i trade stories with people and they say what year it was i dont think about the year i think about where i was working at the time and what holiday was it close to and how busy i was. THen you get caught up in the after work party time and it all seems to run together, you drink till you cant walk at the end of the night because that is the only way you know how to fall asleep or can from going 90 to nothing all night. Tell him to go out to a busy restuarant in town and see if he can Badass help me out here see if he can Stage' for a night. That is basically the chef getting free help all night and not having to pay for it. Or send him to me and i will scare the boy out of his wits by the time i am done telling him how it truely is. Also get him to read 2 books "Becoming a chef" and "Kitchen Confidential". those both pretty much sum up kitchen life to the extreme. DONT SEND HIM TO CULINARY SCHOOL UNTIL HE HAS HAD AT LEAST 2 YEARS IN A HIGH TRAFFIC BOOT CAMP KITCHEN.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Sailfish

I am going ot hijack the hell out of this thread.

A. AmberJ - That was an amazing reply and I will certainly never enter the cullinary industry.

B. I do love to cook and would like to hone some of my skills. Is there a local class or place I can learn at night that wont interferewith my job?I looked at PJC but it seems like abunch of 2 hour courses.

Anyway - interesting thread and good luck to both of you. Cookingis truly an artform, ya'll have all my repect.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Sailfish

Culinary School is running about 40 - 50 grand for a year now.
kahala boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

ya, and ladies freaking love a guy who can cook, too!
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to David Ridenour Send a message via Yahoo to David Ridenour

Quote:
The Blue Hoo (1/8/2008)ya, and ladies freaking love a guy who can cook, too!

Thats a fact! If you cook for fun (as stated) you can spend more time with them!
David Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Well, I will tell you.... I have been in this industry LESS THEN A YEAR and i HATE IT. I LOVE the cooking though.

Basically what BADAZZCHEF AND AMBERJ SAID. It had BETTER be in you blood. I love it and HATE it and I'm not even a CHEF. I couldn't think of all the shit a CHEF has to put up with as AmberJ said. Menu, cost efficent of food, the SHITTY folks that work there that have no DRIVE, the inspections, the NON THANKS that you get up front but ONLY if the folks come back which it what keeps the place alive and MANY MORE THINGS. :banghead You just have to love to cook, and even then it's hard to ask yourself why are you here??????

I'm trying to get offshore but have STILL requested to stay on at the REST. :banghead I must be crazy. :letsdrink:letsdrink
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Sailfish

Most culinary schools use to require 2 years of service before entereing there school. Now they have gotten money hungry since its so popular to be a chef so you go in for a 4 year or 2 year degree and spend a fortune at schools like the Culinary Institue of America, Johnston and WHales, New England Culinary, FLorida Culinary ....etc. They use to require the 2 years because of the high stress that runs in this job and its not for everyone. Now they dont care if you have the money they will teach you give you the degree and put you out in the world, most schools arent even making you do an externship anymore. So you graduate and you are a chef, woopdee doo then you go to work in the field. Had pleanty of experience with these people, these people can write one hell of a menu and tell you the history of butter, but when it gets down to it they cant do it with speed and accuracy. That is what its all about you have to smart, fast, versitle to be good in this field, so after spending all of mommy and daddys money on school, you get out and you figure out there is not glamor, there is no women, there is nothing but work, booz, and drugs, and you then figure out oh wait maybee i dont want to be a chef.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in