Anyone on or near Bayou Blvd. missing a Chicken? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Anyone on or near Bayou Blvd. missing a Chicken?

My wife and I saw the craziest thing last night coming home late from the movies. It was just past Midnight and we were driving south on Bayou Blvd. near Hyde Park Rd and I see a set of eyes in the headlights and slow down. As we pass there is a Red Fox with a chicken in it's mouth trotting North on the side of the road. I couldn't believe it so we turned around and followed him. It stopped to rest in front of the house with the rocks for a front yard. We stopped on the shoulder and he just stood over his chicken panting and looking at us not to concerned about our presence.

We tried to get a picture but the cell phone flash wasn't strong enough. I'm still kind of baffled by the whole deal. A little rare to see the Fox I suppose but where did he get the chicken? I can't imagine there are to many chicken coops in that area. Very strange.....I wish I could have gotten a photo. It was a big chicken and apparently wearing the little guy out to carry it back to it's home. So if you live in the area and are missing a chicken now you know what happened.

Last edited by bama99; 04-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
bama99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Snapper

Kinda got an odd neighbor that stays up all night and walks east hill, He says he has seen Fox and Coyotes! Well I won,t say that he is .....
82whaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Default Coyotes

I'm so happy to have found this discussion. Thursday around 3am, one of my roommates was leaving for work & saw a coyote roaming La Mancha square off of Cross St. We all have crazy neighbors, but I think this is real. Called Wildlife Services. They said coyotes are a nuisance wildlife animal. But the catch is, they will do nothing, if an animal of this sort is seen, it can be shot in daylight hours only. That is not any help to parents & pet owners of E Hill.
Kvhamner2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

My mom lives in that area, Not far from it...Her front yard is nothing but rocks, But I dont think you saw him at her house... But back to the topic, I've never heard chickens over that way,But who knows where he could of gotten it from.. From what I've been hearing theres alot more ppl getting chickens for eggs and food now adays..
wld1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wld1985 View Post
My mom lives in that area, Not far from it...Her front yard is nothing but rocks, But I dont think you saw him at her house... But back to the topic, I've never heard chickens over that way,But who knows where he could of gotten it from.. From what I've been hearing theres alot more ppl getting chickens for eggs and food now adays..

If it's the house with a rock front yard on Bayou near Hyde Park Dr. then that's were he stopped to rest for a bit with his dead chicken. I have since been told there are foxes that live in the woods near the airport so I guess that's where he lives.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Grand Slam

You know, on Tuesday I was driving home from the mall and on Bayou around the same area I saw a fox sitting on the corner on the right side of the road. He was on the South side on the edge of a driveway so I talked myself into believing it was a fox statue like the other yard statues in that area. Now I wish I would have turned around to look again.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
WW2
Sailfish

Hey, with any luck he will kill some of the feral cats.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW2 View Post
Hey, with any luck he will kill some of the feral cats.
I don't know. An average red fox only goes 15-20 pounds. We have a big cat that can wipe the floor with our 15 pound schnauzer when she puts him in a corner. I imagine the fox would stick to rodents, rabbits, squirrels, and the occasional chicken or duck. A coyote would probably give it a go but some cats are pretty darn tough. Like trying to attack a running chainsaw!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in