Old 06-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default For any recent graduates

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...ure-salary-job

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

That's is a good field. Equipment operator is another good one.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
Sailfish

Tons of shortages in vocational jobs....wish I was young enough to get back into turnin' wrenches...loved being an airplane mech...now I wrench on my bike
grouper1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Grand Slam

One thing I always wondered about along these lines, when did young folks stop being willing to move away from home for the bigger money? If a young person can stay at home and have a good job that's great but that is seldom the case, especially around military bases where there is a large supply of highly trained retirees/recruits for jobs. I have seen so many young couples pass on opportunities because the wife or husband were unwilling to move away.
jaster and Yellow River Cat like this.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside9 View Post
One thing I always wondered about along these lines, when did young folks stop being willing to move away from home for the bigger money? If a young person can stay at home and have a good job that's great but that is seldom the case, especially around military bases where there is a large supply of highly trained retirees/recruits for jobs. I have seen so many young couples pass on opportunities because the wife or husband were unwilling to move away.
It happened when the GenX generation had kids. They saw their parents neglect them for the almighty dollar and “success” and decided they would not do that to their own kids. The Millenial generation is much the same as they saw their GenX parents value family time over lots of “stuff.”
jaster, Hound_dog and Boat-Dude like this.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Praedator
Grand Slam

I started off in the electrical field working for my grandfather's electrical business. There are a ton of commercial buildings from Pensacola to Navarre that I've wired up. I still feel pride when I see those buildings!

I did decide to go to college, but I had an academic scholarship that didn't put me in debt and I went for EE. My grandfather eventually sat back as the owner raking in the money looking over plans as a master electrician!

If I still had the time I enjoyed doing the side work for electrical jobs. My degree did propel me. But engineering degrees still tend too.

But no one seems to know how to even change their own light bulbs. And you can charge a killing for today's generation that can't do crap themselves!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Yellow River Cat likes this.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
I started off in the electrical field working for my grandfather's electrical business. There are a ton of commercial buildings from Pensacola to Navarre that I've wired up. I still feel pride when I see those buildings!

I did decide to go to college, but I had an academic scholarship that didn't put me in debt and I went for EE. My grandfather eventually sat back as the owner raking in the money looking over plans as a master electrician!

If I still had the time I enjoyed doing the side work for electrical jobs. My degree did propel me. But engineering degrees still tend too.

But no one seems to know how to even change their own light bulbs. And you can charge a killing for today's generation that can't do crap themselves!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Electrician buddy of mine had a contractor he had worked for ask him to go bid a job that he didn’t have time to do. Told my buddy to quote what ever price he wanted. After looking at building and all the things the owner wanted my buddy told the guy that he couldn’t give him a set price but he would do the work for $195/hour plus the same rate for a second electrician and $25/hour for the 2 helpers thinking there was no way the owner would go for it
Well tho owner said great when can you start, 9 months and many thousands of dollars later he finally told the owner he had other jobs he had to get to and walked away tired of all the changes the owner kept making
The other electrician took over and about a year later finally got it done

Some folks have more money than sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
It happened when the GenX generation had kids. They saw their parents neglect them for the almighty dollar and “success” and decided they would not do that to their own kids. The Millenial generation is much the same as they saw their GenX parents value family time over lots of “stuff.”
What does family time have with taking a job opportunity in another state. You take your wife and kids with you, if you have them. Staying in an area because of parents (most cases) isn't necessarily the way to, depending on the job market in the area. Your family is wife and kids in this situation. My wife always said home is where we were with our kids.

My wife and I took a job opportunity in our mid twenties that took us 5000 miles from our parents that completely changed our lives, financially and otherwise.

My kids have never suffered from me chasing the $$ and better retirement.

Yellow River Cat likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
DROP TINE BUCK
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
The population for the most part is “different” now, basically, kids are lazy, “we” have made life waaaaaay to easy for them. Technology has advanced and not all for the good, The days of “I can’t wait till I’m 18 so I can move out” are over with, now them suckers wanna milk mom and dad till they’re 30..... I work with a bunch of young folks, you can’t even give em a good butt chewing anymore because they get their feelings hurt, some of these kids are just pathetic, they need a good dose of “oilfield” work to get em back to reality.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside9 View Post
What does family time have with taking a job opportunity in another state. You take your wife and kids with you, if you have them. Staying in an area because of parents (most cases) isn't necessarily the way to, depending on the job market in the area. Your family is wife and kids in this situation. My wife always said home is where we were with our kids.

My wife and I took a job opportunity in our mid twenties that took us 5000 miles from our parents that completely changed our lives, financially and otherwise.

My kids have never suffered from me chasing the $$ and better retirement.

It's a nice to have if you can stay around extended family with little ones! But some folks are just wired to not better themselves with a move for some reason! My wife is one of those folks, she is willing to live in poverty if that meant being next to or close to her parents!

While I on the other hand is wired to keep advancing to better our lives for my wife and my kids! Moving to Charleston, SC was the greatest thing that happened to me even though it was forced on me by a military BRAC action! It opened our eyes that living away from the extended family was just fine!

Kids are more resilient than most give them credit for! It's usually the parents that keep their mind stuck! I am where I am because I value job security over the overall paycheck! I'm playing the long game for the health care and retirement system as a federal employee.

I could go out and almost double my salary by working for Lockheed or Raytheon, or Boeing! But as the government contracts come and go so do employees.

But when I was in the commercial electrical field I knew Electricians that moved state to state almost yearly chasing that money! Some did quite well! I know one guy that did it with his family and he retired at 52 and has not worked another day since! He worked hard and saved a lot. Lived comfortable and now he has a place on the water down in Rocky Bayou area of Niceville! He earned it!

My generation and younger are just lazy sometimes and feel too intimidated to get out of their little comfort zone bubble! If I wasn't over the hump towards my full civil service retirement, I'd be telling my wife and kids that we are moving to Tuscon, AZ or Orlando, FL for better money. Been offered it! But loosing what I've invested in civil service now is a no brainer now to stay where I'm at.

I grew up with folks that took 8 years to complete college and lived on mommy and daddy's money and couldn't find a job!

I'm a firm believer in what Mike Rowe says: Don't follow your passion! Take your passion where ever you go. Meaning, go follow the money and take your passion to that job! You can make any job work for you most of the time if you have the right attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta dooler View Post
The days of “I can’t wait till I’m 18 so I can move out” are over with, now them suckers wanna milk mom and dad till they’re 30.....
No kidding! I know of high school kids that turn 16 and have no desire to get their license and get a car! They don't have any drive to get out on their own and have the freedom it gives them. It blows my mind. I couldn't wait for the freedom of driving and moving out. I moved out just before my 19th birthday! Lived on my own and went to college on my own merits and my own dime! My parents had money to pay for my college! But they said I was on my own! I paid for my own first vehicle too! They said get a job! I did! They calculated how much I would make in one year! Took 80% of that and said that's what they would loan me for a vehicle! I paid them back over that year by giving them 80% of my paycheck. The other 20% was for gas and insurance and the little bit of pennies left to socialize at 16-17 years old. When I paid off that truck in that year, it was the greatest feeling ever!

But while my buddies where partying over summer I was sweating my ass off wiring up grocery stores, condos, school remodels, and more! I wired up the Publix on 9 mile by UWF from start to finish. It was an Albertsons then! Still gives me pride to walk in there and see all the lights on that I wired and hung etc...
delta dooler likes this.

Last edited by Telum Pisces; 06-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in