Any motorcycle riders out there? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Any motorcycle riders out there?

I just bought a Vstar 950 am about to do an oil change. Care to share what oil you use? Brand? Synthetic? Blend? Filter? Dealer will just tell you to use their stuff, I want to hear it from riders.
Lejet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lejet View Post
I just bought a Vstar 950 am about to do an oil change. Care to share what oil you use? Brand? Synthetic? Blend? Filter? Dealer will just tell you to use their stuff, I want to hear it from riders.
I like mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 synthetic for my harley. They have a 10w40 weight also but I would assume your vstar runs a 20w50 as well if its an air cooled vtwin. 28k miles on my 09 harley flhtcu and blackstone oil analysis all come back flawless running mobil 1 since 1,000miles. Broke in on valvoline vr1 20w50 race oil with high zddp. Previous bike a 07 harley xl1200c had 18k miles on it when traded and great results on mobil 1 twin as well.

As far as filters I run the harley chrome filters but k&n filters are good for motorcycles as well. Does yours run spin on filters or the canister like some bikes? I forget what bike it was a friend had, think was an older vstar but it had canster filter behind the exhaust. Had to drop the front exhaust off the head and loosen all the mounts to swing it down enough to reach. Hopefully yours isn't one like that. If it is, look into one of the filter relocation kits.

If planning to do maintenance yourself, invest in the factory service manual and a good torque wrench. CDI torque wrenches are a good value when you find them new online. They make a lot of the snap-on torque wrenches as they are a company under the snap-on umbrella. I've got my 5-75ft/lb wrench that is a good all around wrench. Little more expensive than a craftsman or crappy kobalt but much higher quality and more accurate.

Good luck.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
old fart
Trigger

i have had my harley about 7 years. i run the regular harley oil change it about every 2000 miles. any oil that meets manufactures specs is ok. i bought the harley oil cause i had a 6 yr warrenty, they couldnt argue that main wasnt done when their records showed all parts bought there. some of the syn. oil was a little noisy, and i balked at the price, old man, old habits iuse what has always been
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Didn't know they made a 950. I have the 650 and I just put yamaha lube in it.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Sailfish

I am an Amsoil man through and through...

I have been a user of the 25,000 mile stuff in cars for 10 years.

Never used their cycle oils but know people that ran regular Amsoil in their bikes before they had a "cycle" label.

Their 2 stroke "Racing" oil is AWESOME in outboards...

Brent
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Trigger

+1 on the Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic. I have a Suzuki M109R that's water cooled. I run 20W-50 when it's warm/hot and 10W-40 when it's cold. I use factory filters.

These bikes shift like an old John Deere tractor and I could really tell the difference when I changed to this oil.

Smitty
1956_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956_4x4 View Post
+1 on the Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic. I have a Suzuki M109R that's water cooled. I run 20W-50 when it's warm/hot and 10W-40 when it's cold. I use factory filters.

These bikes shift like an old John Deere tractor and I could really tell the difference when I changed to this oil.

Smitty
Good point, I forgot most metrics are shared oil for crankcase/trans/clutch so definitely have to pay attention to oils designed for this. Mobil 1 twin 20w50 and their 10w40 are both wet clutch compatible. I run twin in my primary for the clutch and primary chain and clutch feel is much smoother than with factory fill hd formula+. Transmission I run mobil 1 75w90 gear lube. If you have shared oil, mobil 1 is a good solution as you need to find a wet clutch compatible oil.

Amsoil is good oil as well for their moto oils but I hate the amway style selling and the bs websites they own about their oil being better than anything created. Good oil but not great according to uoa results. All quality synthetics are good as long as right oil weight and additive package for application.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs View Post
I am an Amsoil man through and through...

I have been a user of the 25,000 mile stuff in cars for 10 years.

Never used their cycle oils but know people that ran regular Amsoil in their bikes before they had a "cycle" label.

Their 2 stroke "Racing" oil is AWESOME in outboards...

Brent
I am an Amsoil man also, I have been using it in every motor that I owen since the eighties.
I have several motorcycles, riding lawnmower, go cart, pressure sparyer, generators...
you get the point, I truely run it in everything I own and never had a problem ever.

Last edited by Hydro Therapy 2; 05-15-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Hydro Therapy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in