Any Lottery Success? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.
Default Any Lottery Success?

I met a couple to day while eating lunch that had moved to the Panhandle several years ago after winning the lottery in Georgia. The didn't tell me how much they won, but it must have been enough to put them both into retirement, as all they do is fish and travel now.

I don't buy Lottery tickets so I don't have a story but they seemed pretty interesting and very happy, inspite of their "Life Change".

You ever win anything in a Lottery?
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

Its a Fools game

I once watched a man roll dice with his families food stamps.

same thing !

JMHO

HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
little ol me !
Snapper

Lotteries are a tax on stupidity, although it is awful hard to argue that point to a guy who has won a big pay out, or folks who religiously purchase the tickets.

I was once watching a show on the science of lotteries. Amazing the stuff that goes into the lottery, did you know that they add weight to certain balls? For example the "zero" ball will weigh less than the "10" ball, due to the amount of ink used to place the zero vs. the 10, so that add weight accordingly so that all balls weigh exactly the same, so that one ball will not be more likely to get drawn than another ! That would have never crossed my mind !

Also the odd / statistics are inconceivable. It was stated that if you played 50 tickets a week, statistically you would hit the big lottery once every 3,000 years. It's been some time since I have seen the show, so don't hold me to those exact figures, but you get the point.

I have only played the lottery once or twice. Maybe if I have a dollar from the change from a purchase, I might get a quick pick. From time to time I will scrap up the spare change in my ash tray, and get a scratcher. I have never won more than a buck or two, or maybe another ticket. Certainly have lost way more than I have ever won, not that I have lost a-lot, maybe $100 over my entire life time ? ( and I will be the big 4-oh tomorrow !! )

Oh, it is nice to dream about having s shit-ton of money, the boats I would buy, the house I would build on the water, and the fishing I would do !
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Sad thing about it is a good percent of winners lose/blow everything and they are broke again later in life.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Sailfish

I play at most $10 a month. Sometimes scratch offs and sometimes lotto. Won $200 on a scratch off and $500 on another. Thats it, over all a loss but not by much. Dont risk much and dont loose too much, and I can afford to loose $10 a month on a LONG shot. I still think on occasion that a good dream including what I would buy is worth a $5 ticket.
Home & Business Security
and Surveillance Systems
Pensacola, FL
[email protected]
FLbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Just saw this thread and thought I would share.... There is hope out there, trust me.... I have been seeing a lady for the past 4 years mostly on the weekend and she is an avid player. Same 6 numbers every week, and occasionally a scratch off. I always made fun of the situation, but she laughed it off and kept playing. About 6 months ago the Florida Lottery came out with a scratch-off with a second chance offer.... It was really kind of stupid gimmick, if your ticket is not a winner, you could go on line, enter the ticket number, play some "Price is right" cartoon like game and enter the ticket for a second chance drawing..... Well she did this a few time... Low and behold about 10 weeks ago she got a call at work, and her name had been picked for the second chance offer. The prize was a $10,000 value, and it goes like this. In Feb of next year (just a couple of months away) we are being flown out to Vegas, put up in a suite for three days, Limo's, food and entertainment. She was given $5,000 in cash ($2,500 held out in tax on the total 10k value) and she is going to appear at the MGM in a "Price is Right" stage production with a chance to win up to a million bucks...... Yeah I know, it's kind of hard to believe, but we have the tickets already and the dates.... It should be really fun and I hope that she wins some big money.... I told her I didn't want a dime, just to have fun with it, and be careful of "fair" weather friends"..... Don't believe me,,, that's cool, but check this out....... Ohhh yeah, tight lines all.... T

I forgot to mention this,,,, I got her to e-mail the lottery and ask what were the odd's of her winning this with all of the people that entered tickets.... Ready for this????? The odd's of her getting picked were 1 in two million six hundred and seventy seven thousand (2,677,000)........ Again, hard to believe....

Last edited by Boatjob1; 11-30-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Grouper

I had three cousins of mine win the FL lottery a few years ago. Then they went and bought Ben Pearson Archery in Brewton, AL. So far, they are doing well. The money didn't go to their head, they are just as humble as can be. They still come to the house and drink beer around the fire every xmas just like always.
Fish Happens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Trigger

I have a neighbor that plays $20 scratch offs religiously.. Every time we go to Publix or are out and in town he wants to stop at the gas station and buy scratch offs. I have seen him win $100, $500 and even $5000 one time but for the most part it is $20 here and $40 there. I know he blows way more than he has ever won. He typically spends $60-$100 each time he plays.. He not rich but between him and his wife he can afford to play $100 here or there. The problem with gamblers is that it is never enough.. I mean if I won 5k I would be done. Oh well it is his money...
local_hooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Snapper

I must admit I play $1 lotto for every drawing. I have a larger chance of getting run over and killed on the way to buy the ticket than winning but I play anyway....

Anyone, like me, who would spend thousands of dollars every year to catch a few fish ain't right anyway..
Instant Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
Anyone, like me, who would spend thousands of dollars every year to catch a few fish ain't right anyway..

LOLOLOLOL,,,, Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in