Anchor Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Anchor Question

I'm thinking of getting a new anchor. I have found one a BPS which says you need half the rope/depth ratio and has 4x the holding power as a fluke anchor. I have had a problem with getting my current anchor (fluke) to grab then at times it will slip. Below is the link to the anchor I'm considering. I have a 22ft bay boat and current use a 6 ft chain and I'm considering the 6lb. What do you think?

http://www.basspro.com/Chene®-Anchor...ct/850/-431555
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
White Marlin

The link doesn't take me to a link for the anchor, just the BPS homepage. I have never had a problem with a fluke anchor before. Most people have problems because they are not using enough chain. I have about 12 feet of HEAVY chain on my 23' boat. Light cheap chain doesn't help either...
whome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Mingo

Default Get a plow......

I've got a 22# plow anchor on my 27' cruiser with 10' of 5/16 chain & it doesn't slip at all. I've had to tear down my windlass to reset it after getting caught in some high waves. The anchor didn't slip, the windlass locked up.
I try to stay out of the rough stuff but that isn't always possible........
woody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Grand Slam

That anchor on BPS is crap get a Claw or plow style anchor and you will be happy. For a 22' boat a 7 KG or about 15 lb claw is what you need with about 15 feet of 5/16 or bigger chain. But what do I know??
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Grouper

I'm guessing your using some kind of Danforth like anchor. The problem is most likely the 6 ft of chain, not the anchor. An 8 lb Danforth or Hooker with 15 to 20 ft of 1/2 inch chain and proper scope will hook almost every time and hold a 22 footer like it was tied to the dock. Don't skimp on an off brand. Get a decent anchor, it's the only thing on the boat you'l use more than the engine. That Chene is a POS.
flappininthebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Sailfish

I agree with Ron, the claw anchors are awesome. The Danforths will tangle in the chain sometimes on the way down and not set. Not sure about the particular anchor your talking about but you cant go wrong with a claw anchor.
Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Grouper

Thanks I'm buying more and bigger chain if that doesn't work I'll get a claw.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Jighead, Don't waste a cent on the anchor you posted from BPS. I have one of them here I will give you free. That's how lousy an anchor they are I cant even give them away. Like I said it's not going to work very good for offshore in water very deep. Give me a call.
Ron 850-712-2603
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Snapper

One thing that used to get me with Danforths was just tossing it over the side. The chain will sink faster than the anchor and chances are the anchor will land on the chain and get fouled. Ease the anchor down for better results.
birdsnest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Jighead, Don't waste a cent on the anchor you posted from BPS. I have one of them here I will give you free. That's how lousy an anchor they are I cant even give them away. Like I said it's not going to work very good for offshore in water very deep. Give me a call.
Ron 850-712-2603

Thanks for the offer that's very nice. I'm going to stick with what I have for now and invest in some bigger and longer chain. There for a while, I'm ashamed to say, I was not using chain at all, I didn't know to. The chain I did add made a big difference. I'm not having a lot of problems with it but I just don't want to be sitting on the jetties one day and it slip and I not notice it until it's too late. A lot of it is user error I'm sure. The deepest I have ever anchored is about 30ft. Do you use your boat motor to dig in the anchor or do you let the current do it if it's strong enough?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in