Am I being scammed ? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

Default Am I being scammed ?

Am I being scammed ?

I have gotten 4 PM's from a new Forum member who has never made his first post.
he wants to know if I still have my 1950 Ford .
I email him my first name and cell#
He says he is in Fort Lauderdale and will drop by and buy my car Thursday.
he then ask for my name and address , plus the Vin # to the car.
I did give him the Vin number but again only my first name and no address.
I have contacted Law Enforcement who assure me this is a scam.
what do you think and should I forward this information to other agencies.

always the chance this could be for real but chances look so slim that I have already replied that I am not interested in selling the car.

Idea's anyone?

HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Sailfish

Sounds scamish enuff... Several reasons for the desire to obtain the vin... One could be to apply for a lost title and make a fake vin plate so he can sell "his" car... Then you will possibly find a problem when you try to buy next year's tags...

I never give out the vin or serial numbers until a deal is being completed. I do, however, compare the numbers on a title to the vin plate before exchanging money when I am the buyer...

More than one stolen harley (this was common practice in the 70's and 80's and into the 90's) was sold with a valid title that had no connection to the stolen bike.

Brent
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs View Post
Sounds scamish enuff... Several reasons for the desire to obtain the vin... One could be to apply for a lost title and make a fake vin plate so he can sell "his" car... Then you will possibly find a problem when you try to buy next year's tags...

I never give out the vin or serial numbers until a deal is being completed. I do, however, compare the numbers on a title to the vin plate before exchanging money when I am the buyer...

More than one stolen harley (this was common practice in the 70's and 80's and into the 90's) was sold with a valid title that had no connection to the stolen bike.

Brent
Very good advice Brent, on the vin to title checkout. Most people "never" look to see if they are the same until they show up at the tag office and they look.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Sailfish

bonsai, Even then it often goes overlooked... I know of cases where a person had purchased a couple years of tags before a routine traffic stop got the scam caught... In biking back then it was common for LEO to check frame and engine numbers lookin' for stolen bikes/parts... It was far less likely to get noticed in 4 wheelers.

Many years ago, this scam involving higher end cars/suvs was uncovered... Same deal... folks would buy wrecks to obtain a title then steal a car with identical make/model/year in the same color... Dealerships saw no red flags and wouldn't see need to walk out to verify numbers... Some buyers weren't made aware until they took this stolen car in to trade it several years later.

Brent
Old 05-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

I would check E-Bay, and Google your truck description. Sounds like they were gathering info to put your truck with pictures up on some sales sights to snag some deposits or maybe even sold money...... They could run ads anywhere with a description like "Divorce forces sale, has to be sold tonight". I hate thieves............ let us know how it turns out....

I just took a second and googled it. 2 Ford 1950 pickups just went up for sale on craigslist across the US within the last hour. Not sure if it's your guy, but you now see how this could work.... I hope that it's all just a good buyer situation.....

Last edited by Boatjob1; 05-09-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

i think the scammer will be in big trouble if he comes messin around your place. the police would be the least of his worries.
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Scammer.....He is using the VIN # to put an add on EBAY more then likely. NEVER give out the VIN #.... or serial # of guns or anything....
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Sailfish

Can't someone just look through the windshield of a car and get the VIN? It isn't like a SSN or anything like that. I get that if the guy isn't local he would have a hard time obtaining it.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
Trigger

It definitely sounds like a scam, however you said he was a new member on here. Technically, he hasn't done anything wrong, but have you contacted Admin or the Mods about this?

He could have seen the ad and joined just to get the info, but at the same time he could be asking for the VIN so he can get a CarFAX...I would.

Have you asked him for his name, phone number, info, etc? I ran across this situation a couple of times last year when I was looking for a truck on CL. As soon as I started asking them questions they couldn't answer, or I found discrepancies in their story, they ran like scared rabbits.
Patoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatjob1 View Post
I would check E-Bay, and Google your truck description. Sounds like they were gathering info to put your truck with pictures up on some sales sights to snag some deposits or maybe even sold money...... They could run ads anywhere with a description like "Divorce forces sale, has to be sold tonight". I hate thieves............ let us know how it turns out....

I just took a second and googled it. 2 Ford 1950 pickups just went up for sale on craigslist across the US within the last hour. Not sure if it's your guy, but you now see how this could work.... I hope that it's all just a good buyer situation.....
It's a 1950 coupe not a truck so if so he messed up already .
jaxon1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in