Acall to action - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default Acall to action

<SPAN class=posttext>The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council is at it once again. This time they want to limit Amberjacks to one per 2 people on a boat. While I rarely go offshore fishing, I am outraged more and more by their actions. There has even been talk of limiting grouper to one per person.

These attacks against recreational anglers must end. One way to achieve this goal would be to take the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council away from the Department of Commerce and place it under the management of a more suitable department such as the Department of the Interior. A Department more suited to actual management of the Gulf. A department that would provide a more equitable balance between commercial and recreational fishing.

So here is what I'd like to do. Start using all this great political knowledge on this board and start to change things I'd like to see several groups within each forum formed for the express purpose of going after our politicians and the media. Make our story heard. Make them understand that we are just as important as the commercial industry.

You may not like me or some of my posts, but this is a message that needs to be understood. We are under attack by commercial interests that would have us buy our fish rather than catch it. In some ways this is similar to the British occupation of India. There the British tried to force the native population to buy salt rather than harvest it from the sea themselves. I know this isn't India, and I am certainly not Ghandi.

I know this may not be a pressing issue to the East Coast but one day it could be.

So who is willing to help. Who is willing to set partisanship aside and fight for a common goal?

This was just posted on another forum. Here we go again.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Default RE: Acall to action

One per two people!!!!!!!!!

That's insane. Can you please post where this info is found. All I can find is Amendment 30 which is supposed to change the allocation of the total catch each year. The new rule would change the recreational share from 86 to 71 percent. That's all I canfind. But I can see where the commercial side of the house is pushing for this and pushing us little rec guys out of the way. It's going to take some big voices that get the attention of bigger voices and so on to get anything done. Nothing against commercial guys, but they have the big money/lobbyists on their side pushing their side. While we are stuck in a rut spinning our wheels to get anything done in our favor.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
White Marlin

Quote:
Knot a Yacht (12/11/2007)One per two people!!!!!!!!!

That's insane.

Yeah, I saw a cartoon in one of the recent magazines talking about this. It had a charter boat and the people were knocking each other out with the Amberjacks they had caught so they could claim that person's half.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Mingo

A time has come for us to change our commercial fishing industry. For years and years we have been taking and taking from the ocean with very little effort from those who have created and supported a life off of it. I presented an analogy of a farmer in another post, and it fits here as well.

I just cannot believe that we allow these shrimp boats in our bays destroying our fishery.

I cannot believe that we allow our county to be in the top 5 polluted in Florida.

I cannot believe that everyone on this forum who shares a passion for fishing and the outdoors are not as worried and appalled as they should be.

This is what we do for fun to keep us sane for the rest of the week. Imagine a world where a slot red or 5lb grouper became rare.

We should try harder to do our part to not only help with the restoration of waters but also to stop overlooking small and large detrimental factors that we let pass b/c we are either sentimental to the people doing it, the money involved, or the services it provides.

Time for sacrifice

thanks,

CurtyV

CurtyV22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Knot a Yacht (12/11/2007)One per two people!!!!!!!!!

That's insane. Can you please post where this info is found. All I can find is Amendment 30 which is supposed to change the allocation of the total catch each year. The new rule would change the recreational share from 86 to 71 percent. That's all I canfind. But I can see where the commercial side of the house is pushing for this and pushing us little rec guys out of the way. It's going to take some big voices that get the attention of bigger voices and so on to get anything done. Nothing against commercial guys, but they have the big money/lobbyists on their side pushing their side. While we are stuck in a rut spinning our wheels to get anything done in our favor.
I found it posted on floridasportsman and I will try to see where the poster found this info. I'll shout back later.
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

http://www.ccaflorida.org

Try this and see what you can find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in